NOT A CHANCE

"It's been too long."

Stiles muttered. He glanced up at Derek and Argent.

"It's been three days since we broke out," he clarified, "If Eric was going to do something, shouldn't he have done it by now?"

"Maybe he needs something," Argent shrugged, "Or he's planning something."

"Something harmful, no doubt."

Stiles nodded in agreement. He looked to the side where the monitor for Maia's cell was.

She'd been in there ever since the break out. She was kept under surveillance at all times, thanks to Argent's equipment. No one went in to speak to her except for Lydia, even though Derek and Stiles refused to leave the building.

Stiles left for school one day, but he came back as soon as classes ended. Both of the men couldn't decide if they were mad or concerned, so they played the safe option and kept their distance.

But as the days went by, Stiles felt his anger melting. He heard her crying and calling out in her sleep, just like she was doing now. And whenever she was awake, she was constantly on edge and terrified that her brother would find her.

Even now, when she was in the middle of a nightmare, he felt sorry. He knew there was no possible way that any of them could understand what she went through, but he felt the urge to at least try.

So when he saw her squirming and screaming in her sleep, he abruptly stood.

"Stiles, don't!" Argent warned.

He ignored him and rushed down to the basement where her cell was. He quickly unlocked the door and ran in, cautiously leaning over her.

He shook her shoulders, "Maia, wake up."

She writhed in pain and whimpered. Sweat beaded her forehead and tears ran down her cheeks.

"Maia!"

Her eyes snapped open and she gasped. Her claws flicked out and she instinctively swiped at the air.

Stiles' eyes widened and he dodged just in time, stumbling back before her claws could tear his face apart.

Maia quickly came to her senses before her werewolf side could completely kick in. She controlled any further attacks by sticking her claws into her side, keeping them occupied. She's rather hurt herself than him.

She sat up in a panic and kept her red eyes away from Stiles' view. She turned her back to him but spoke, "Did I hurt you?"

"W-what?" he asked timidly.

"Did I hurt you?" she shouted.

He scrambled to check his body, patting down every part, "Uh, no, I'm fine. No scratches or bites or anything."

She sighed in relief, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay," he assured.

He quickly stood back up and was about to make a quick exit but he faltered. He saw her chest rise and fall rapidly as she struggled to gain control.

Her heart was pounding crazily against her chest. She kept her eyes wide open, afraid that if she closed them she would see more flashes of her nightmares.

She felt his presence still standing behind her.

"I'm so sorry, Stiles," she whispered. Her voice broke as tears began to fill her eyes, "I didn't want to hurt anyone, I swear."

Her body jerked as she tried to contain her sob.

Stiles hesitantly stepped closer, feeling his anger slowly start to let go.

"I know," he murmured.

She let out a choked cry and covered the sounds with her hand. She gathered enough strength to pull herself to her feet. She sniffled and turned around to face him.

"I didn't want to hurt you, Stiles."

His own tears prickled his eyes, "I know."

He surged forward, capturing her in a strong hug. Unlike their awkward embraces before, this one was complete and comforting.

She instantly wrapped her arms around him, holding on as tight as he was. She cried in relief that he believed her, feeling some sense of normalcy return.

Stiles always provided comfort to her, and he still did. He had her wrapped up in his arms safely, shielding her from any outside harm.

"I believe you," he whispered in her hair.

She cried even harder and clutched him with all she had. His shoulder was surely covered in snot and tears, but that didn't bother him. He probably left the same on her own shoulder.

All he cared about at the moment was his friend standing broken and vulnerable in his arms. He didn't care that she betrayed them. He didn't care that she accidentally brought back a monster alpha.

All he cared about was being there for her.

He rubbed her back comfortingly and waited until she had cried all her tears. They both pulled back, keeping each other within close distance.

"I'm going to talk to Scott and the rest of the pack," he stated, "I'll see if I can get you out of here."

"You don't need to do that," she assured, "At this rate, I doubt anyone would be willing to forgive me. I don't blame them either."

"You wanted to bring back a better person," he argued, "It was an honest mistake."

She bowed her head in shame.

"Trust me, this pack has gone through a lot and we are very capable of forgiving a lot of dangerous people."

She smiled lightly and squeezed his hands, "It's not the pack I'm worried about."

He furrowed his brows. He glanced up at the security camera directed at her cell, knowing that Derek and Argent were watching.

He caught her hint and sighed, "He'll forgive you in time."

"We don't have time," she reminded, "Now that Eric is alive, he's going to try and kill me and everyone else I care about."

"We will make time for this," he promised, "You won't die without a fight."

"Stiles-"

"You sound like you're giving up," he stated, "Are you?"

She rolled her eyes. He was clearly challenging her. He wanted to make sure that her attitude stayed upbeat and positive. He wanted her usual confident aura to return, because that's when she was best.

She smirked at him,

"Not a chance."

---

Killer | Derek HaleOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara