KEPT PROMISES

"Stiles, can you go get your bat so I can hit him?"

"Very funny."

"I'm totally serious."

Derek rolled his eyes. She stuck her tongue out at him childishly as he backed away from the bed she sat on.

The two men stood around her as she changed the bandage on her arm. She was technically in Derek's bed since it was his loft. And she only needed to change her bandage because her wounds had been slow to heal, presumably from the wolfsbane in her blood.

But Stiles was still concerned with her health. He bit down on his nails anxiously, "You should be fine by now."

He turned to Derek to consult him, "She should be fine, right?"

He glanced back at her, "Why aren't you fine?"

"Stiles!" she snapped, "Calm down."

He conceded and took a deep breath, calming his nerves. She scoffed and looked between the two, "Both of you are hovering and it's annoying."

"You should be happy that we care so much about your wellbeing," Stiles snapped.

"I think he means to say that we prefer you alive," Derek corrected.

Maia scrunched her nose, "Aw...don't tell me you're getting soft on me."

Derek tossed a new shirt towards her. She slipped it over her head and saw that it was too big for her, so it was probably Derek's.

"Hey muscly man," she said, catching his attention, "This doesn't fit."

She tugged at the shirt to show how large it was compared to her own body. He rolled his eyes, "What do you want me to do about it?"

"Find another one."

"Lydia probably has one," Stiles commented.

Derek huffed before walking out to ask the girl. He left Stiles and Maia alone. The former instantly sat down on the edge of the bed in giddy excitement.

"What you did was freaking awesome!" he exclaimed.

She shook her head in amusement, "Killing someone was awesome?"

"Okay, maybe not that part because you were absolutely terrifying but the fight was cool."

She winced as she took the shirt off. He glanced at the wound on her back from where the alpha had bitten into her. The blood had slowed to a trickle, but it was still there.

"Deaton will be here soon," he informed, "He can make sure you're not infected or anything."

"I don't need a doctor."

"Technically, he's a veterinarian."

On cue, the door opened and Deaton entered. The pack followed closely behind him, eager to see how she was doing. Derek came back in too, holding a new shirt.

They surrounded her, watching as Deaton inspected her wounds. It was unusual that they hadn't healed yet, but she wasn't too concerned.

He tried to check her pulse but she swatted his hands away, "I'm fine, honestly."

"You were asleep for two days," Stiles stated.

"We just want to make sure you're okay," Scott reassured.

"I'd feel better if you all stopped hovering."

They sighed and backed away from the bed. They moved into Derek's living room, leaving Scott to stay behind with her.

She moved to the edge of the bed to find her shoes and slip them back on. She lifted the shirt over her head and straightened it out, satisfied with the size.

Before she could get up, Scott stopped her. He lowered his voice to speak with her privately.

"Thank you," he said softly, "You really helped us."

She shrugged and smiled casually, "I guess you owe me one then."

"I know. I've owed you one for awhile now."

He pulled a flash drive out of his back pocket. She stared at it quizzically as he laid it in her hand.

"Mason and Stiles pulled up every record of historical talismans in the California area," he explained, "Supernatural or not...this is everything you need to find it. And while you search out there, we'll be looking around Beacon Hills."

She looked up to him in mild surprise.

"I keep my promises."

She laughed lightly and fumbled with the drive. She smiled genuinely and put it in her pocket.

"Thank you," she murmured.

He nodded in response but his look soon turned solemn. She felt his guilt weigh him down.

"You didn't have a choice," she reminded, "Alphas don't stop unless they're forced to. A lot more innocent people would be hurt if you didn't take him down."

"I know...but it doesn't make me feel any less guilty."

"It gets easier," she reassured.

They sent comforting smiles to one another.

They turned to go back towards the pack. They all knew what Scott had done because he had discussed it with them while she was asleep.

They all agreed to give her the drive and they wanted to say goodbye. Unknowingly, they had grown to somewhat like Maia. Even for a short while, her presence would be missed.

Stiles was the one to represent them all. He stepped forward and handed her a backpack filled with her books of research.

"You remember the color code system, right?"

She nodded, "Red is unsolved. Yellow is to be determined. Green is solved-"

"And blue?"

"Is just pretty."

She took the bag from him and slung it over her shoulders, "Trust me, I got it."

He nodded and awkwardly tried to give her a hug. He didn't know if she was a hugger or not so he tried to be cool by just patting her back, but it ended up looking weird. It was a half hug, to say the least.

He pulled back and scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment, "Yeah, okay, good."

She laughed at the blush in his cheeks.

The others simply nodded, except for Lydia, who wished her good luck and gave her a brief hug.

Maia turned to say goodbye to Derek, but found him standing next to the door.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Helping," he stated matter of factly. He held up two duffle bags, one for each of them,

"Ready for a road trip?"

---