HIDDEN MESSAGES

"I think brooding is contagious."

Maia leaned against the side of the car with her arms crossed. Derek barely glanced at her before continuing to pump the gas into his car.

"Well considering that you almost wrecked my car, I'd say brooding is appropriate."

She rolled her eyes, "Okay fine! I admit that I don't know how to drive well. Happy?"

"You could've told me that before you got in the driver's seat."

He faked a smile and stopped pumping the gas. She waited until he moved back over to his side of the car to start talking again.

"Can I buy you lunch as a peace offering?"

"Do you have money?" he asked.

She pursed her lips and frowned. He clicked his tongue, "Thought so."

He sighed and gestured for her to follow him. She smiled in victory as he led her to the diner next to the gas station.

When they walked in, they sat down in a booth at the very end of the row by the windows. They sat on opposite sides and looked at the menu.

"Aren't Arceneaux's supposed to have lots of family money?" he asked.

"Well unfortunately for me, my family does not consider me an Arceneaux. Any family money was moved after my brother and I ran away."

He narrowed his eyes and watched as her eyes scanned over the food items.

"You should probably tell me more about him since we're searching for this talisman for him."

She ignored the statement and set her menu down, "How do you feel about milkshakes?"

She waved politely at the waitress behind the counter. The lady smiled back and started to walk over. She stood in front of their table and pulled out a notepad.

"What can I get you?"

"I'd like a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and chocolate milkshake please," Maia requested.

The lady wrote it down and turned to Derek, "And for you?"

Maia answered for him, "He'll take a coffee. Black and bitter, just like his heart."

Derek glared, "Very funny."

She smiled and fell back into her seat casually. He quickly mumbled an order and waited until the waitress was gone to resume their conversation.

"Tell me something about your life and I'll pay for your meal."

"Touché, Hale," she pouted.

She sighed and crossed her arms, "My brother's name was Colin. He helped me run away from home when I was eleven and he raised me until he died."

"Until you killed him," he corrected.

"Yes," she glared, "Until I killed him."

"You already told me that stuff. Tell me something new."

"Why?"