SIX FEET UNDERGROUND

"Why is she out of her cell?"

"Dad, just calm down."

The sheriff aggressively pointed at the broken alpha, "She resurrected a maniac!"

"On accident!" Stiles defended.

The sheriff glared at him. The son held his hands up in surrender and lowered his voice, "She helped us escape and then she detained herself until we chose to let her out. She wants to help."

The sheriff looked up at the girl. He saw the bruises and the cuts on her face, which they tried to hide with sunglasses and one of Stiles' flannels.

"If you don't trust her, then trust me," Stiles said, "Dad...it's Maia. Okay, she's still the same girl that lives with us. She's the one who made us breakfast and left a mess of chip crumbs on the couch everyday. That hasn't changed."

The father sighed and faced the girl. She reluctantly met his gaze, taking off her sunglasses as she did. He softened when he saw the giant bruise on her cheek.

He tiredly bowed his head and conceded to his son, "Okay...what do you need?"

Stiles' eyes lit up, "Surveillance of abandoned buildings or reports of suspicious activity."

"Ask Parrish."

He nodded and turned back to the girls.

"Stay here," he instructed Maia.

She nodded as he took Lydia and walked out of the office. She weakly looked up at the sheriff with apologetic eyes.

"I understand if you're angry," she murmured, "I am too."

"You live in my house," he stated, "You befriended Stiles. And then you hurt him."

"I know."

"And if you try and hurt him again, I won't hesitate to put you six feet underground," he threatened.

She nodded in understanding.

"But if he trusts you...then I guess I'd be willing to trust you again too."

She looked up in surprise. He sighed and set down the file in his hand. He moved around his desk and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Just promise me that you'll protect my son."

She nodded, "I promise."

He softly smiled. The expression relieved her and she felt her burdens lift by a little.

A loud crash ruined the moment. They snapped around and saw several police officers struggling to hold down a criminal.

The criminal pushed off one of his guards and pulled out the gun from their holster. His wild face turned to the sheriff and he fired.

Maia grabbed the sheriff and threw her body in front of him. She covered his body with her own and felt the bullet hit her abdomen before she was able to protect herself too.

The criminal was quickly taken down by more officers. The sheriff straightened up and helped the girl stay steady, looking at her worriedly.