Thirty-nine

The waterbender struggled to go back to sleep as she slowly sat up, and got out of the bed. The prince was soundly asleep while she looked out the window. It was pretty early since the sun was slowly rising.

She headed outside hoping to get a bit of fresh, but she had to do it quietly since Aang was sleeping in the living room where he can easily hear or spot Appa incase of an emergency.

Softly stepping around the furniture, she extended out her arm slowly prompting the door to open. A smile appeared a few seconds after being able to successfully leave her home without any sounds. She looked up at the sky and placed her hand on her stomach.

She beamed as she felt the heat of the baby, "You know, I was kind of worried about being a mother but the more I thought about it—I practically raised Sokka and the other children after my mother was taken and the men were all at war. It's crazy how I spent most of my life isolated here in the South Pole stuck in the 100 year war. Luckily for you, Aang and your father ended the war," Katara whispered softly bending water to make her hands glowed.

It all happened almost two month ago and yet, still feels like it was so recent about the whole confrontation of Azula and Aang defeating the Fire Lord.

"Katara?"  A voice startled her causing her to turn around to face the avatar.

"Aang? Why are you awake so early," Katara quickly questioned him while he gave her a funny look.

"Your pregnant?" He questioned completely ignoring her question taking a step closer, "Your having a baby..." He mumbled to himself. The monk was in completely shock, "How did it happen?" Katara bit her lip nervously.

"You heard everything?" Katara took a step back in disbelief, "I thought you were sound asleep,"

"I was but I heard you leave," He pointed out at Katara's hand was currently on her stomach. She wasn't showing but he knew that just confirmed everything he heard was true, "How long have you been pregnant?" He questioned.

"I'm pretty sure it was back at the beach house," Katara answered which made Aang surprised. Katara felt a bit guilty talking about it with him since he always had a crush on her.

The monk remained quiet, he wasn't jealous about it, "You don't have to feel bad for me. I stopped feeling anything towards you since a while ago," Aang stated feeling tension that was created, "I remembered a Guru told me to let go of everything I was attached to, in order to release my chakra and at the time it was you since you were the first person I ever saw in a long time but seeing how you left for the selections. I was thinking a lot about it and Toph helped me sort a few things out," He explained while he looked at the sky. It felt awkward to look at her in the eyes admitting his silly crush, "I'm glad  your getting married to Zuko, he's the perfect guy for you,"

"What makes you think that?" Katara questioned.

"You guys are equal," He answered as he remembered the times where she babied him a lot and scolded him like a mother, "And, you will be an amazing mom for sure,"

Katara's eyebrows lifted a bit, "Do you really think that? I lost my mother at such a young age," She sighed as Aang walked up next to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You will be just fine, if you think about it into a different perspective you always had a motherly side and helped out other kids or teenagers," He explained as Katara got a flashback of the orphans she met awhile back. Also, I'll keep your secret but I'm heading out today to pick up Iroh, Toph and Suki if anyone ask," He explained.

Katara looked at Aang as she smiled, "You've matured a lot and I know you and Toph will be cute together," the avatar quickly looked away avoiding the blush appearing on his cheeks. She never noticed it before but Aang grew a couple inches since now they were eye level. She gave him a hug as he left on Appa.