Day Three - My Parents

• Dedicated to My Loving Parents

Dear Mom and Dad,

First off, I really hope you don't see this. I know that sounds mean, but I feel like it has more effect when unseen by the receiver.

You two practically gave me the life I have today. My school, my house; it's all because of you two. I love you both so much, but sometimes, I feel so distant from you. I believe that is mostly because of me, but it also seems like you two are constantly fighting and not really showing much love. This might just be me picking this up because I try and find the worst in everything, but it might also be true. 

Mom, I love you so much. You are a great woman and I really hope to be like you when I get older. You and such a hard-worker and, at the same time, are a loving mother. You make time for your kids even when you would rather be doing something else, like having a spa day. I really admire that quality in you. I feel like you care for other people above yourself and that is the exact trait I would like to aquire. You are also the smartest person I know. It's unfathomable how intellengent you are and I wish I could be as smart as you.

But, mom, you really need to know something. You need to stop trying to please your father. He will never learn to love and that will just dissapoint you even more. Please understand. His love has been broken and you have never noticed that. You are sure that dad and all of your children will always love you no matter what you do, but with your father, you cannot be that sure. When he said that he would never speak to us again if we didn't attend Aunt Krissy's wedding, you cried because you have always wanted to please him and didn't want him to be dissapointed in you because you didn't go to Aunt Krissy's wedding. But that was your chance to do something right. That was your chance to stand up for Christ and chose Him over everyone else. Luke 21:17 says, "Everyone will hate you because of me [Jesus]." Instead of choosing Christ, you chose your father. I'm sorry that I said all that, but I think you had to hear it from someone.

Dad, I see all these families where the teenage daughter is distant from their father and I feel bad for them. I am so glad that we are close. You are just an incredible person. Everyone who has met you, has immediately liked you. You are so friendly to everyone and can make anyone, and I mean anyone, laugh. When I was younger, I didn't get all the sex jokes that you made, but now I do, and let me tell you, it's disturbing, but still hilarious at the same time. You can lighten a mood with one of your jokes but you can also be serious when the time is right. You are so intelligent and have strong opinions with which you defend endlessly. I also like that you love everybody, just like your father.

But I do need to tell you something. You need to be more loving. My brother, who has disabilities, is scared of you! He shouldn't be! You should care for him even more than you care for the rest of us. You should do this because he doesn't exactly get everything and is having a hard time with everything. You constantly yell at him and smack him. I don't want my younger brother to grow up and be scared of his father! I've gotten to know you, so I know that you can be really loving, but you can also get really serious and scary. I don't want him to only know the serious and scary dad. That would just add to his already too many problems. Seriously! He's only six! I know it's hard to deal with disabled people, but you're just going to have to learn. You need to be more loving and less serious. When he does something wrong, like pee in his pants, don't scream at him and send him into time out. Teach him that peeing in his pants is bad and calmly tell him that, instead of yelling at him and making him cry. I know that you can love deeply and I want him to feel that, as well as everyone of your other children.

I do, and I mean it when I say I do, really love you both so much. You guys have been there for me most of the time and I sometimes don't appreciate the things that you do for me. I'm sorry for being such a pain and I hope you will learn to forgive and love me. Thank you for everything.

Love,

Your imperfect daughter <3