Chapter 11: Forward

A/N: Warning! Manga spoilers ahead.

Chapter 11:

Within a few days, after Mizuki and the Women's Japan National team fought with ferocity to make it past the qualification round, they managed to make it to the finals! They played against the Brazil team who were extremely skilled, experienced, and tenacious. They were also tall which put the Japan team at a disadvantage. Brazil was undoubtedly the toughest opponent that they had ever faced. Moreover, if Mizuki hadn't moved back to Japan after university, she definitely would have played for the Brazil team.

Kei could still recall holding his breath as he and his friends watched the lengthy match, eager to win the prestigious gold medal along with the distinguished rank that came with the win. He couldn't take his eyes off of his wife, who shone so brightly that it rivaled the sun.

During the fifth and final set, the Japan team was at match point - in other words, they were winning. They were at 30 - 29 and it was Mizuki's turn to serve. She took a deep breath, ignoring the flashing lights and the deafening roar of the crowd that surrounded her.

She felt light and airy, almost as if she wasn't in control of her own body. She knew that she was under immense amounts of pressure and yet, for some twisted reason, she felt calm - at peace. She could feel beads of sweat drip down her face as she exhaled, waiting for the referee to blow the whistle at the very last second. She gazed up, and amongst the crowd, she saw a strange figure that was seemingly staring at her. She couldn't quite see the person's face but she didn't feel scared - she felt oddly melancholic.

Mizuki looked around and observed her teammates. Suzuki Rina, her best friend and the libero, was beside her, focused and determined to win. Kojima Sara, her friend and the setter, faced forward, eager to achieve victory as well. Her captain, her vice-captain, and her other teammates were resolute, and everything they had been working so hard for had led them here...

To the top.

The shrill sound of the whistle snapped Mizuki out of her trance, and when she looked up at the stands, the mysterious figure had vanished. She took a deep breath and took a few quick steps forward. She threw the ball, and with the use of her left hand, she spiked the volleyball fiercely towards the opponent's net.

Brazil's libero received it haphazardly, and it flew to Japan's side of the net. As the ball made its way to their side, everything around the court seemed to slow down. Mizuki only heard the shouts of her captain who had steadily received the ball. Kojima sprinted, preparing to set the ball to the person who had the highest chance of succeeding.

Mizuki realized who it could've been at that very moment.

To give any less than your best is to sacrifice a gift.

"Mizuki-chan!" Kojima exclaimed breathlessly.

She methodically set the ball high enough for Mizuki to formulate a plan in her head. Mizuki dashed forward with the intention to end the game right there and then. Three blockers jumped and diminished her vision until she realized what she should do. Brazil's receivers and libero moved backward, bracing for her paralyzing spike. Instead of spiking forcefully, like how she had been doing so the entire match, she feigned and lightly tapped the volleyball over. It cascaded behind the blockers, and the ball unexpectedly dropped on the other side of the net, narrowly securing Japan's win.

The Women's Japan National Team secured their first gold medal Olympic win since 1976, thanks to Mizuki's clever deception.

"#23, Toma Mizuki has left the Brazil team speechless with her shocking faint! Japan wins!"