Chapter 12: Pros and Cons

Chapter 12:

One month later, September 27th

It was Kei's 26th birthday and they were celebrating it with his family in Miyagi. Although tensions were a bit high because of his parents' divorce, their family managed to throw him a surprise party (which he reluctantly took part in). Additionally, the week before was Mizuki's 26th birthday and they celebrated it with her side of the family as well as their friends at a luxurious spa in Kyoto.

Currently, Kei was watching Mizuki play with his nephews, Haru and Koji, and his baby niece, Keomi, in the living room at his mom's house. His mom was already asleep and his dad had left for the night. His brother and sister-in-law were asleep in a bedroom upstairs, exhausted from the party and taking care of their children. Mizuki, Kei, Tanaka Ryu, and Kiyoko offered to look after their kids while they took a short nap.

"Ryu-san, why are you bald?" Haru asked, causing him to cross his arms exasperatedly.

Kei snickered loudly.

"I'm not bald!" He grimaced.

"That's not a nice thing to say, Haru-kun..." Mizuki shook her head, attempting to hide her smile.

"He looks bald though?" Haru inched closer to Ryu and gently patted his head.

"He does, doesn't he?" Kiyoko laughed lightly.

"Bald! Bald!" Koji repeated excitedly.

"My own wife is against me!" Ryu cried out, "I give and give and all she does is insult me!"

"You exaggerate too much, Tanaka-san." Kei commented nonchalantly as he sat down beside Mizuki on the floor.

"I already told you to call me Ryu," He huffed, "We're family."

"I prefer to call you Tanaka-san, Tanaka-san." Kei stated back.

Ryu sighed and that was when Haru unexpectedly jumped on him, causing him to fall over. His brother, Koji, mimicked his actions, causing the three of them to stumble onto each other.

"Haru-kun! Koji-kun!" Mizuki laughed warmly, "It's not nice to jump on people... What if they get hurt?"

"But... Zuki-chan..." Koji frowned, slowly standing up, "Ryu-chan..."

"Come here! I have something better!" She grinned.

Haru and Koji looked at each other quizzically before making their way to Mizuki. As soon as they were in front of her, she held out her arms lovingly.

"Hugs!" She exclaimed cheerfully, causing the two to tackle her onto the floor.

"This is the same as jumping on people!" Haru pointed out as he giggled.

"It's not the same!" Mizuki shook her head, hugging her nephews tightly.

Kei smiled adoringly at his wife. This was definitely one of those moments where he couldn't believe his luck. She had been home for almost a month, and it felt like absolute bliss. They weren't apart because of the distance, and she sometimes accompanied him to school and work. They even had time to visit Yamaguchi and Mina and go on a short couples trip before their birthdays. Unfortunately, Kageyama and Rina couldn't attend due to their commitments in volleyball.

As much as Kei loved his life, there was something missing. He didn't want to sound ungrateful - after all, he was living his best life with the girl of his dreams. Something gnawed inside Kei and it had begun months ago when Mizuki had a pregnancy scare.

Kei remembered feeling terrified that day but he also felt at ease.

"Hugs and jumps are different!" Mizuki laughed as she planted quick kisses on Haru and Koji's cheeks, "You wouldn't jump on your baby sister, would you?"