Chapter 13: All That Matters

Chapter 13:

Kei and Mizuki took the "baby-making" process extremely seriously. In addition to their bedroom, they had a lot of fun in other places. For example...

On their sofa.

In their shower.

The bathroom sink.

The kitchen counter.

The backseat of Kei's car.

The backseat of Mizuki's car.

In a hotel room for their weekend getaway in Tokyo.

In Kei's office at his work. Twice.

Late at night, in the library of the university where Kei attends.

The list goes on, and there were many instances where they almost got caught. Kei and Mizuki enjoyed their time together however, they seemed to be out of luck. It had been 3 months since they began trying for a baby. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful. The more hopeful they got, the more they became disheartened at the disappointing, negative pregnancy results. They even considered talking to a fertility specialist but life got busy for the two of them again, as Mizuki had to return to Tokyo soon for volleyball.

Mizuki laid down on the sofa tiredly as she watched an episode of a zombie TV show. She was waiting for her husband to arrive home from his meeting with his faculty supervisor regarding his Ph.D. thesis. She sighed, sitting up abruptly.

They both agreed not to tell anyone that they were trying for a baby as to not put too much pressure on themselves. This kind of backfired because now, Mizuki felt so gloomy and she couldn't tell anyone why. The only person who shared and knew about her feelings was Kei, and she was worried about him too.

What if they couldn't have a baby?

Mizuki heard the jingle of the keys outside the apartment door. Kei twisted the doorknob and opened the door, causing her to look up and smile at him. Judging from his unkempt buttoned-up shirt and the evident dark bags under his eyes, Kei seemed exhausted. It didn't help that he didn't get much sleep the night before. He refused to acknowledge it though, not wanting to make his wife worry.

"Hey, princess." He smiled, his facial expression softening upon seeing her face.

"Hey," She sauntered over to him and planted a swift kiss on his cheek, "How was your day, baby?"

"Meh," Kei took his shoes off and slightly loosened his tie, "My supervisor wants me to make some changes to my dissertation..."

"Why?"

"He claims that I did too much research and that I need to make it easier to understand..." He mumbled, "It's not my fault if idiots can't understand the anatomy, taxonomy, ontogeny and phylogeny of basal sauropodomorphs and their implications to the evolution of the theropod."

"I don't think anyone can understand what you just said..." Mizuki commented, laughing softly at her adorably nerdy husband.

"Ugh..." He shook his head, wrapping his arms around her lovingly, "What about you? How was your day?"

"Uneventful..." She hugged him back affectionately, "I went to eat lunch with my mom and my brother then after I got home, I packed some stuff for Tokyo... Then, I waited for you to come home..."

"Oh... Have you eaten dinner yet?" Kei murmured, gently kissing her forehead.

He didn't want to think about her leaving and him being alone at their apartment in Miyagi for the next few weeks.

"No... I wanted to wait for you." Mizuki melted into his embrace instantly.

"You didn't have to." He chuckled, rubbing her back comfortingly.

"I don't want to be alone." She mumbled, burying herself on his chest.

Kei observed the slight drop in the tone of her voice and gazed at her anxiously. He knew that she had been discouraged lately so he had to be strong for the both of them as he didn't want Mizuki to feel even more guilty or upset.

"After dinner, do you want to go and get ice cream?" Kei suggested.

"Not really..." She sighed, "I'm tired..."

"Mizuki..." He cupped her face and squished her cheeks a few times, "It's very unlike you to not want ice cream. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," She pouted, "I'm just sleepy..."

"Is this about our baby?" Kei asked faintly.

Mizuki stared up at him for a few seconds and exhaled slowly, "More like the non-existence of our baby."

"Hey, don't say that..." He frowned, "We've only been trying for 3 months..."

"I know..." She shook her head, relaxing slightly, "I'm sorry..."

Kei held her hand and squeezed it tenderly, "It'll be okay..."

Mizuki bit her lip, trying to keep herself calm. She felt herself tear up as she listened to her husband reassure her. He was so patient and kind to her and she felt horrible that they may not be able to start a family.

"What if.. what if we can't make a baby?" Mizuki mumbled wistfully, "I know you want a family and I want one too... What if... we can't?"

Kei didn't know just how much she harbored feelings of sadness inside. He should've been more attentive to her.

"Mizuki, we're already a family..." He stated with conviction, "You and me, against the world, remember?"

He gazed at her affectionately and she sniffled, trying her best to refrain from crying. Unfortunately, the more he consoled her, the more the tears flowed from her eyes. As she silently cried, Kei gently wiped the tears away with his sleeve. His heart ached at the sight of his wife's grief.

"Besides, there are other options..." He continued, brushing his lips softly against hers, "We could always adopt... There are lots of kids that need a good home."

Mizuki nodded, feeling her heart swell with comfort.

"As long as we're together, that's all that matters to me." Kei declared, his eyes shining with sincerity.

"You promise?" She mumbled.

"I promise." He answered earnestly.

Mizuki gazed up at him fondly and tip-toed up to kiss him. As a response, he gently lifted her up bridal style. She couldn't help but smile.

"I love you." Kei professed.

"I love you too." She declared.

He carried her to their bedroom, and the world disappeared around them as the two spent an intimate, romantic night together. Each kiss was comforting, and with every touch, caress, and embrace, it provided them with feelings of strength, hope, and love for each other.

That was all that mattered.