Chapter 19: It's Time

Chapter 19:

Rain, rain, and more rain.

These last few days in Miyagi, it had been raining non-stop and Kei was tired of it. It wasn't like he hated the rain itself but it was more about the possibility of some droplets of rain turning to a full-blown, thunderous storm. To top it all off, he agreed to drive his co-worker, Higuchi, home to be "nice".

"I mean, isn't it crazy?!" Higuchi beamed excitedly as they walked to Kei's car, "Tooth reduction across the dinosaur-bird transition was because of a feeding ecology that shifted from mainly carnivorous to a more herbivorous or omnivorous diet!"

"Mhm..." Kei nodded sluggishly, checking his phone for any messages or calls from Mizuki. He pressed the home button a few times and his phone wouldn't blink on. It must be out of battery.

"In addition to tooth number reduction, the loss of the interglobular porous mantle dentin is associated with changes in..."

As his co-worker droned on, Kei drowned out his voice while trying to find his phone charger in his bag. Maybe he left it at home because he couldn't find it anywhere. As soon as he unlocked his car, the two went inside and prepared to drive home.

"No offense, Higuchi-san," Kei sighed, checking to make sure that he had enough gas to drive him and his co-worker home, "I've had enough of bird teeth today..."

"Right, right..." He laughed sheepishly, "We've been in the lab way too long..."

He drove outside the parking lot and began their journey back home.

"So, how's the wife, Tsukishima-san?" Higuchi asked warmly.

"She's good." He answered stoically.

He was feeling a bit anxious because it had been a few hours since he talked to Mizuki. Not to mention, he left her with Rina, Hinata, and Kageyama, three chaotic balls of energy who had the potential to burn his whole house down. At least Mina, Yamaguchi, and Yachi were there to balance their turbulent tendencies so he felt a bit relieved.

"The last time she visited the lab, she gave us the tastiest chocolate chip cookies!" He exclaimed, "I miss her so much!"

"I'll make sure to let her know..." Kei nodded as he turned left into the main road.

"Aren't you nervous though?" Higuchi inquired.

"About?"

"The fact that you're going to be a father soon!" He stated.

Kei took a deep breath and said, "I'm nervous... and terrified..."

"It's only natural..." Higuchi exclaimed, "But you must be excited too!"

Kei smiled softly and nodded as a response. God, he was excited to become a father. He wondered what Mizuki was doing right at that very moment. Maybe he should stop by the cafe to pick up some cake on the way back. As he drove forward, the two were stopped by the many cars in front of them.

Traffic. How typical.

"Oh, man..." Higuchi shook his head and frowned, "It's going to take forever to get home at this rate."

The rain pitter-pattered loudly against the window of Kei's car. He stared at the cloudy weather outside and he hoped that there wouldn't be any thunderstorms. It would be so humiliating if his co-worker witnessed how a grown man like him was scared of loud, thundering noises. Suddenly, Higuchi's phone rang loudly, startling the two of them.

"Hello?" He answered eagerly.

Kei wondered how long this traffic jam would persist. He really wanted to be home now in case Mizuki needed him.