Chapter 40: Surreal

Chapter 40:

1 year later

After retiring from playing volleyball professionally, Mizuki was offered a teaching position at Shiratorizawa Academy, her father's old high school. They wanted her to become an English teacher and the coach of the girl's volleyball team as she had tremendous knowledge and prestige in the sport. Surprisingly, she declined their offer. She didn't exactly know why she rejected them either. Upon hearing this, Takeda, one of her old high school teachers, asked if she wanted to become an English teacher in Karasuno High instead. She accepted in a heartbeat. While Shiratorizawa was great, she wanted to be at the place where her happiest memories were - more specifically, where she and Kei fell in love with each other. She was also invited to be the coach for the girl's volleyball club and of course, she accepted.

Mizuki strolled over to the desk and set down a box that had her teaching supplies in it. There were various boxes inside the room, ready to be unpacked. She had her own office, and although she began working at Karasuno when Hana entered kindergarten, her plans somewhat shifted due to a certain situation. Now though, she was ready to start teaching again because she was officially back from her maternity leave.

Mizuki took out several picture frames from the cardboard box - one was a photo of her and Kei during their wedding, one was of Hana with the two of them in front of Tokyo Tower, and one was of their newborn twin sons, Kazuma and Kazuto.

"Mama!" She heard a voice call out from the hallway, "Where are you?"

"In here, my moonflower..." Mizuki exclaimed.

As if right on cue, Hana sprinted into her office, her face pale with fear.

"There's no one here!" She mumbled, rushing to her mother's side, "This school is scary..."

"It's Saturday, that's why..." Mizuki pointed out, "Everyone's busy having fun or relaxing at home."

"Right..." Hana nodded.

"Where's your dad?" Mizuki asked.

"I left him by the car!" Hana declared nonchalantly, "He was too slow... He was still putting Kazuma and Kazuto in the stroller."

"You went inside this big school all by yourself?" Mizuki raised an eyebrow curiously.

"Yeah!" Hana crossed her arms triumphantly.

"Aren't you brave?" She chuckled lightly, "Wanna help me unpack some of my things?"

"No, not really..." Hana frowned, climbing up so that she was sitting on the chair, "Can we go to the park now?"

"In a bit, okay?" Mizuki smiled, "I have to finish up some things before Monday."

Hana was in the first grade now, and according to Sugawara, she was an enthusiastic, thoughtful, and incredibly intelligent student. It seemed like she inherited a mixture of Mizuki and Kei's characteristics, which they adored.

"How long is a bit?" Hana inquired.

"An hour." Mizuki answered as she continued unpacking.

"How long's an hour?" Her daughter raised an eyebrow.

"60 minutes." She replied.

"... How long is 60 minutes?" Hana continued, causing Mizuki to laugh.

"You have to be patient, my moonflower..." She bent down and kissed her cheek, "Besides, your dad and your brothers agreed to help me tidy up and unpack here."

"Kazuma and Kazuto are babies... They can't help..." Hana stated as-a-matter-of-factly.

Hana is so much like Kei, Mizuki thought to herself.