Chapter 31: Milestones

A/N: This chapter mentions mature themes.

Chapter 31:

"Welcome Tsukishima-chan!" Mizuki's volleyball captain greeted her as she invited her into the house.

"Hi..." Mizuki smiled bashfully.

Currently, she was back in Tokyo for volleyball and she and her teammates planned on spending the night bonding at their captain's house. Because she had missed almost two years of training, a lot had changed in terms of the members and the structure of the team. For starters, there were teammates that she met only a few weeks ago, and Mizuki had to admit that she felt strangely out of place. There were newer, younger members, with lots of potential, and she felt a bit insecure due to her maternity break. Concerns about her own skills bubbled in her mind even if she hated it. What if she wasn't as good at volleyball as she was before?

"Mizuki-chan!" Kojima grinned and gave her a glass of red wine, "Come in! Come in!"

At least Mizuki had Kojima Sara, a long-time friend, and teammate, to ease her anxieties.

"Is everyone already here?" Mizuki asked sheepishly.

"Yeah! We were only waiting for you!" Kojima beamed.

"Sorry for being late..." She apologized, "I was video chatting with Kei and Hana and lost track of time..."

"It's not a problem!" Her captain interjected, "You're here now, and we're going to get absolutely wasted!"

Mizuki laughed as she followed them to the living room. Most of her teammates were lounging around, laughing, and socializing with one another. Most of them had a glass of alcohol in their hands - clearly, they were ready to just relax. Mizuki removed her jacket and gently placed it on the coat rack, feeling a bit apprehensive at the women around her. She wouldn't describe herself as anti-social but she did feel like a bit of a stranger in her own team. Hopefully though, after tonight, she hoped to feel a bit closer to them and to make new friends.

"Everyone! Your favorite opposite hitter has finally arrived!" Kojima beamed excitedly as she pointed at Mizuki.

They cheered, causing her to blush slightly. She waved to them and simultaneously took a sip of the red wine.

"Toma-san!" One of the newer members of the team approached her, "Sorry! I mean, do you prefer to be called Tsukishima-san?"

"Either is fine," Mizuki reassured her, "I'm more known in the industry as Toma Mizuki but I don't mind Tsukishima either..."

"Then I'll call you Tsukishima-san!" She grinned.

"Alright..." Mizuki chuckled.

"Okay, now that everyone's here, we're going to play a little game that'll allow us to get to know each other better!" Their captain revealed, smirking, "Seeing as it's a new volleyball season, many of you don't know each other too well and as we know, a strong team is one where its members are open, honest, and welcoming to each other."

"Uh, oh... I don't like where this is going..." Kojima whispered to Mizuki, causing her to nod in agreement.

"We are going to be playing..." Their captain paused for dramatic effect and took a deep breath, "Confession."

"Confession?" A member of their team repeated.

"That's right! Confession!" Their captain laughed maniacally, "In this game, we're going to take turns asking improper, scandalous questions and we're each going to answer them all... truthfully."

Waves of complaining moans and nervous laughter filled the room, and Mizuki couldn't help but feel a bit embarrassed too.

"No secrets, and no lies! Got it?" Their captain boomed emphatically.