Chapter 38: Finally

Chapter 38:

Kei and Mizuki decided to take Hana to a child psychologist now that she was 3 years old in order to see how they could better support her academic learning, behavior, and skills. As they waited in the lobby of the doctor's office, Hana began fidgeting on Mizuki's lap.

"Are you okay, Hana?" Mizuki asked.

"Sleepy, mama..." Hana yawned as she rubbed her eyes.

"I know... It's way too early, isn't it?" She smiled.

"Yeah, too early..." Her daughter nodded.

Hana's vocabulary had widened these last few months, and the two found it bittersweet that they could now have detailed conversations with their daughter. It meant that she was growing up right in front of their very eyes. After a few minutes, the doctor finally stepped out of her office and greeted Kei, Mizuki, and Hana warmly. They stood up from their seats and shook her hand.

"Good morning, Tsukishima family..." The doctor smiled, "I'm Doctor Watanabe, and this must be Hana, right?"

She looked at Hana, who was now hiding behind Kei's leg, curiously watching the interactions of the adults around her.

"What are your credentials?" Kei inquired as he crossed his arms expectantly.

"Baby..." Mizuki nudged him, clearly embarrassed, "Sorry about my husband..."

"No, that's quite alright..." Watanabe laughed, "I did my undergraduate degree in psychology at Tohoku University, and my masters and clinical Ph.D. at the University of Tokyo..."

"Oh, you attended the same university as my husband!" Mizuki chimed in, "He went to Tohoku university too!"

"Is that right, Tsukishima-san?" Watanabe gasped.

"Yes..." Kei nodded slowly, "How many years have you been a child psychologist?"

"Almost ten years now." She answered.

"And do you like your job?" He continued.

"I do!"

Mizuki cleared her throat and whispered, "Stop with the interrogation, already..."

"Fine, fine..." Kei sighed, "Thank you for taking the time to meet with us, Dr. Watanabe..."

"Of course!" Watanabe beamed, "So, for Hana's assessment, I'll be in the main room with her for about an hour, and after, I'll discuss my findings with you two. Is that alright?"

"Yes!" Mizuki smiled, "Thank you."

"Okay..." Watanabe bent down so that she was at the same eye level as Hana, "Hi, Hana-chan..."

Hana bit her lip and looked up at Kei.

"It's okay, sweetheart..." He murmured reassuringly, "She just wants to talk to you for a bit, okay?"

She nodded slowly and said, "Hi..."

"Hi, there! It's so nice to meet you." Watanabe smiled.

"Who are you?" Hana asked curiously.

"I'm a doctor..." She replied, "And you? Can you tell me something about yourself?"

"I like..." Hana pursed her lips together thoughtfully, "Dinos!"

Kei couldn't help but smile at her daughter's response.

"I love dinosaurs!" Watanabe gasped, "What's your favorite dinosaur?"

"The big one!" Hana giggled, stretching her arms out, "It flies!"

"A Pterodactyl?" The doctor grinned.