Chapter 35: Catch Up

Chapter 35:

"Ready to go see your favorite aunts, Hana?" Mizuki smiled as she gently secured her daughter in the car seat.

"Yeah! Yeah!" She beamed.

Mizuki felt Kei embrace her from behind as he sighed tiredly, resting his head on her shoulder.

"What'll it take for you and Hana to stay home?" He mumbled, gently placing soft kisses on her neck.

"Stop trying to bribe me with your kisses, baby..." She giggled, "Besides, you deserve a day off. Go sleep for the rest of the day or read some books about dinosaurs..."

"Mm... Fine..." He sauntered over to Hana and squeezed her cheek gently, "Bye, sweetheart..."

"Dada, up." Hana lifted her arms up, signaling that she wanted him to carry her.

"See? Hana wants to stay with me..." Kei chuckled.

"Want to stay with dada?" Mizuki asked.

"No!" She shook her head.

"She's so confusing sometimes..." Kei exhaled, pouting slightly.

"We gotta go now, baby..." Mizuki looped her arms around him and tip-toed up to kiss him, "Get some rest, okay?"

"Okay..." He leaned forward and tenderly kissed her, "You sure you don't want to stay?"

"It's tempting but..." She smiled, "We'll be back in a few hours, okay?"

"Okay, okay..."

Kei watched as Mizuki and Hana drove off to meet up with her friends. He went back inside their house and when he laid down on the sofa, he instantly dozed off.

Meanwhile, after about a twenty-minute drive, Mizuki and Hana arrived at the Italian restaurant where she, Rina, Mina, and Yachi agreed to meet. After she parked the car, she unbuckled Hana from her car seat and carried her. As soon as they reached the front of the restaurant, they were greeted by the friendly host.

"Hi, there!"

"Hello," Mizuki smiled, "We have a reservation for Suzuki Rina..."

"Yes, of course! Tsukishima-san, I presume?" The host beamed, "Please follow me..."

As Mizuki followed the host to the second floor, she was astonished by the chandeliers and the shiny, clothed tables around her. There were wine bottles on most tables, and snooty-looking businessmen laughing with one another on the first floor. As soon as they reached the second floor, the host opened the glass doors, revealing Rina, Mina, and Yachi talking and laughing.

"There you are!" Rina beamed excitedly, "We've been waiting!"

"Hi, sorry we're a bit late..." Mizuki laughed sheepishly as she joined her friends, "I forgot how to dress all formal for a fancy restaurant..."

"That's okay..." Mina reassured her, "We only just got here too."

As they got comfortable in their seats and ordered their food, Hana sat on Yachi's lap as she played with her phone.

"Hana is growing so fast, Mizuki-chan!" Yachi giggled, "I remember when we were all freaking out that day when you were about to give birth..."

"I can't believe that was two years ago..." Mizuki shook her head in disbelief, "Hana's two years old now..."

"Speaking of Hana's birthday, did my birthday gift arrive yet?" Rina asked curiously.

"You mean the custom-built treehouse and play area that literally doesn't fit my backyard?" Mizuki smiled softly, "It has arrived, thank you very much."