Chapter 23: Purpose

A/N: This chapter is heavily inspired by a fanart by @/novaasoph. Credits go to them!

 Credits go to them!

Chapter 23:

Kei, Mizuki, and Hana were in the Miyagi Museum of Art on a rainy and chilly Saturday afternoon. Kei had a day off so Mizuki thought that he, as well as Hana, would enjoy a day out together as a family. The museum had various historical collections and its primary focus was works associated with the Miyagi Prefecture and Tohoku region from the Meiji period to the present day. It also included paintings by Wassily Kandinsky and Paul Klee, two very gifted and well-known artists worldwide.

The three entered the entrance hall after purchasing their ticket and were pleasantly surprised at how sophisticated their surroundings were. The entrance hall was obviously located in the center of the entire museum complex. The exhibition rooms, studios, lecture hall, library, cafes, and gardens were located in positions that radiate from the entrance which acted as an origin point.

"Where should we go first?" Mizuki beamed excitedly.

"I want to check out Kandinsky's paintings eventually but we can start looking at the works of local artists..." Kei smiled subtly, "Also, I heard from Sugawara-san that his students' drawings look a lot like Kandinsky's art..."

"That's kind of mean... I think..." Mizuki giggled.

The three made their way through Exhibition room 1, where several paintings created by Miyagi artists were displayed proudly against the blank, white walls. Some people were strolling around, intently observing and analyzing paintings and the other works of art. Mizuki peeked at her husband as she pushed Hana's stroller - his eyes glimmered with curiosity and wonder, and it made her buzz with warmth inside. She knew that Kei had an interest in art, and she was glad that he was enjoying himself.

He stopped and turned around suddenly which startled her.

"What is it?" Mizuki asked.

"Do you like this one?" He pointed to a starry painting in front of them.

"I like it." She responded.

"What do you like about it?" He murmured, keeping his gaze on the painting.

Mizuki stared at the portrait thoughtfully - it had a naturalistic scenery with white splashes of paint representing the stars and the moon. Various violet swirls dashed across the canvas, symbolizing the calm and cool atmosphere of the empty environment. A single person in the middle of the field gazed up at the sky, emanating feelings of hopefulness.

"It makes me feel relaxed." Mizuki smiled softly.

"Really?" Kei raised an eyebrow curiously.

"Mhm."

Kei nodded as he processed her statement deeply.

"It's kind of scary." He chuckled.

"What- how?" She scoffed.