The Vanishing of Will Byers (Part 4)

The two girls sat at a table in the now empty restaurant. Once Benny let go of the shaken up blonde, he cleared out the restaurant so the girls wouldn't be scared and run away. After he seated the girls, the girls watched as he left to go to the back room and was out of sight. The only thing coming from the room was a few sizzling noises here and there.

Soon enough Benny came back with two baskets of food, each had a burger and some fries in them. The brunette dug in right away, while the blonde just stared at it still not being able to calm her nerves. There was something about this place that gave her a bad feeling, like they shouldn't be there.

"Geez." Benny said observing the girl who has already eaten half of her burger. "Your parents forget to feed you."

Neither of the girls answered. The brunette kept on eating and the other didn't look away from her burger.

"Is that why you ran away?" He tried again.

Still no answer.

"They, uh..." he thought for a second before asking the loaded question. "They hurt you?"

The blonde finally looked up. Hurt. She knew that word. She had heard her sister say it to her a few times when she pointed to a bloodly mark on her arm or when she pointed to her head after a tiresome experiment.

"You went to the hospital, you got scared, you ran off, you wound up here, is that it?" He asked trying to connect the dots.

The blonde broke eye contact and looked around the room like she was looking for something on the walls. This time the brunette looked up at him.

"All right." He sighed taking the food away from them. "I'll give this back, all right? And you can have as much as you want. All right? Maybe even some ice cream. But you gotta answer a few of my questions first, all right? We got a deal?"

"All right." The blonde repeated in barely a whisper. If Benny wasn't listening in dead silence, he never would have heard it with the volume of her voice.

"All right, let's start with the easy stuff. All right?"

He held out his hand across from the blonde looking at her. "My name's Benny. Benny Hammond."

The blonde stared at the man's hand, unsure of what to do. "See? Like this. Here." He grabbed her hand that rested on the table. She flinched back at the contact. "I got you. Don't worry. It's okay."

The girl finally looked at Benny in the eye for a second. After a second she let him take her hand and put it in his.

"Nice to meet you, yeah." Benny said shaking her hand. Once his grip loosened she took her hand away from his. "And you are?"

She didn't respond. Instead, she played with her hand in her lap, not looking up. Benny sighed and moved on to the other girl who sat with her arms on the table. He sighed and noticed a mark on the brunette's arm. He lightly turned it to see 011 tattooed on her wrist. The girl quickly took her arm away making Benny sigh again.

"Eleven?" He questioned. "What's that mean?"

After not getting a response he pushed a little more. "What's it mean?"

"No." She responded looking down at the plate of food.

"Well, I'll be damned." Benny joked. "They speak." After not getting a reaction he tried again. "'No'? No, what? What about you?" He asked the blonde who didn't look up from her lap. "You have one of those?"

After a second of silence he gives up. "All right. I guess no more food, then." He started to get up with the food in hand.

"Eleven." The brunette said softly, getting Benny to stop and sit back down.

"Yeah. What's it mean?"

The girl pointed to herself. "Eleven." Then pointed to the blonde. "Nine."

"All right, then." He nodded giving the food back to the two. Eleven began devouring it while Nine kept looking at it. "Here you go. Take it easy. Take it easy."

Soon after Benny got up and went to the back again. Nine pushed her basket of food over to her sister, who was almost done with her burger.

As Eleven kept eating the burger, both girls noticed a horrible, scratchy noise across the room. El looked up from her burger and stared at an old fan that was making the noise. Within a few seconds, the fan stopped completely. Both girls went back to what they were doing completely unfazed by the strange events.

***

Lucas, do you copy? It's Mike. Lucas?

"Hey, it's Lucas." Lucas spoke into the walkie. He sat on the edge of his bed with his walkie talkie already in hand like he had been expecting this call.

I know it's you. Mike said. And say "over" when you're done talking so I know when you're done. Over.

"I'm done. Over." Lucas snapped back.

I'm worried about Will. Over. Mike said getting more serious.

"Yeah." Lucas sighed laying flat on his stomach. "This is crazy. Over."

I was thinking... Mike started. Will could've cast protection last night, but he didn't. He cast fireball. Over.

"What's your point? Over." Lucas questioned.

My point is, he could've played it safe but he didn't. He himself in danger to help the party. Over.

Lucas considered it for a second. "Meet me in ten. Over and out." He slammed down the antenna and started to pack his stuff up in his backpack. Only one thing was on his mind has he went to the garage to grab his bike...

They were going to find Will. They were going to bring him home.

Authors Note
Thanks again for reading!!!

Love ya!! ❤️❤️❤️