The Vanishing of Will Byers (Part 3)

The three boys sat in their science class they all shared, all eagerly watching their science teacher teach the lesson. This was definitely one of their favorite classes of the day, anyone who had met them would know that right away. Sadly, the end of class came too quickly for their liking and the bell sounded dismissing the class.

"Remember, finished chapter 12 and answer 12.3 on the difference between an experiment and other forms of science investigation." Mr. Clarke, the science teacher, yelled above the chatter of the other students. "This will be on the test, which will cover chapters 10 through 12. It will be multiple choice with an essay section." He trailed of at the end, fully knowing no one was listening as the students left the classroom, leaving only a few people there.

He turned back to face Mike, Dustin and Lucas all looking at him with excited faces. "So, did it come?" Mike asked not even trying to hide the excitement in his voice.

"Sorry, boys." Mr. Clarke said sadly making the boys start to whither away. "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but..." He said before turning his tone happier to let them know he was just joking. "It came."

The group led by Mike filed in the AV Room one by one. Each of their smiles growing bigger at the sight of their new radio placed neatly on the desk. Mike sat down on the only chair while the other two gathered around him.

"The Heathkit ham shack." Mr. Clarke stated proudly as the boys started fiddling with the machine. "Ain't she a beaut?"

"I bet you can talk to New York on this thing." Dustin smiled while turning a dial.

"Think bigger." Mr. Clarke smiled making a motion with his hands for emphasis.

"California?" Lucas asked looking at him.

"Bigger." Mr. Clarke replied making Mike look at him in awe.

"Australia?" He asked earning a nod. The boys respond in laughter as they focused their attention once again on the machine.

"Oh man." Lucas laughed. "When Will sees this, he's totally gonna blow his shit."

"Lucas!" Mr. Clarke scolded. Lucas's smile dropped a little as he turned to him.

"Sorry." He said making Dustin chuckle. They went back to messing around with the dials until they found a signal.

"Hello, this is Mike Wheeler," Mike spoke into the microphone with a horrible Australian accent. "President of Hawkins Middle AV Club."

Dustin grabbed the headphones off of Mike's head and put it on his own.

"What are you doing?" Mike asked in a fit of giggles.

"Hello, this is Dustin," he said in an even worse Australian accent. "And this is the secretary and treasurer of Hawkins Middle AV Club. Do you eat kangaroos for breakfast?"

The two boys laughed at their friend before Lucas excitedly pulled the head phones off of Dustin's head, wanting a turn. A knock at the door stopped them from their fun.

The group looked up and saw their principal with the chief and deputy behind him. "Sorry to interrupt, but may I borrow Micheal, Lucas and Dustin?"

The boys found themselves in the principals office getting questioned about Will. The talked over one another trying to help but really it made it a jumbled mess.

Soon Hopper had enough. "Okay, okay, okay." He shut them up by raising his hand slightly. His voice obviously annoyed. "One at a time, all right? You." He pointed at Mike. "You said he takes what?"

"Mirkwood." He replied instantly.

"Mirkwood?" Hopper asked trying to figure out where that is.

"Yeah." Mike confirmed with a nod.

"Have you ever heard of Mirkwood?" Hopper asked his deputy sitting by him.

"I have not." He answered shaking his head. "It sounds made up to him."

"No, it's from Lord of the Rings." Lucas piped in.

"Well, The Hobbit." Dustin corrected getting a tired look from Mike and an annoyed look from Lucas.

"It doesn't matter." Lucas squinted at him.

"He asked!" Dustin defended.

"He asked!" Lucas mocked.

"Shut up guys!" Mike said getting tired of the arguing while Dustin and Lucas continued fighting.

"Hey, hey, hey!" Hopper said over their voice quieting them down once again. "What'd I just say? One at a damn time. You." He said to Mike again.

"Mirkwood," Mike explained, "it's a real road. It's just the name that's made up. It's where Cornwallis and Kerley meet."

Hopper leaned back in his chair. "Yeah, all right, I think I know that-"

"We can show you, if you want." Mike interrupted.

"I said that I know it!" Hopper raised his voice getting annoyed.

"We can help look." Mike said hopefully. Lucas and Dustin's eyes grew wide.

"Yeah." Dustin smiled.

"No." Hopper responded making the boys start to talk over each other once again. "No. After school, you are all to go home. Immediately. That means no biking around looking for your friend, no investigating, no nonsense. This isn't some Lord of the Rings book."

"The Hobbit." Dustin correct earning another glare from Lucas.

"Shut up!" Lucas reached over and hit Dustin. Dustin retaliated with a slap and soon the two were in a slapping war.

"Stop it!" Mike tried to calm them down.

Hopper leaned closer to them and made his voice going deadly low. "Do I make myself clear?" He asked softly, not getting an answer he stood up silencing the boys. He spoke in a much firmer voice. "Do I make myself..clear?"

"Yes sir."

"Yes sir."

"Yeah."

Authors Note

Thanks again for reading!! Next update should hopefully be tomorrow but I'm not sure. The next chapter needs a lot of editing.

Love ya!! ❤️❤️❤️