happiness

pairing: sasuke x naruto
type: angst
setting: konoha
era: shippuden

summary: "he'd always go back where our feet could touch."

a/n: unedited :)

xxx

when i'm above the trees, i see this for what it is. all of the lies, the depression and, above all, the happiness. it's hidden beneath layers of vines and leaves, and right now, i'm down in it. all of the years i've devoted, every second i've sacrificed to a seemingly winless battle is all the shit we've divided up. and in disbelief, i'm still unable to face reinvention.

i was dancing when the music stopped. i was swimming soundly when my memories faded and i drowned into an endless depression, giving my all into this one life.

i haven't met the new me yet.

it makes me feel guilty when i think back on those years, being unable to locate the period in time when his winning smile began to look like a smirk. when did all our lessons start to look like weapons pointed at my deepest hurt? when the hell did sasuke stab us with the deepest blade, and how did he do it so silently and flawlessly?

"i hope they'll be beautiful fools taking sides with sasuke," i once grumbled, clutching my headband and upsettedly stomping away from my friends. it's only hard to see facts through layers of fire and fury.

in framing sasuke to appear as a villain, the shield which continues to defend his well-being twists my mind. it doesn't change a thing, because no matter how many emotions i have balled up in my stomach, my kind-hearted personality kicks those thoughts away.

but that's the price i have to pay for five years through hell. throughout those five years, i've pulled his body into every goddamn inconvenience or rewarding moment. whatever happens in my daily life, sasuke is always reeled in like a fish, trudging alongside me.

i've handled everything the only way i know how to; because i wasn't raised with education in what to do when a man hurts you, and you hurt him too.

my eyes leak acid rain on the pillow i used to sleep on. after giving sasuke all i had in me, i still pour all of my lifetime achievements into him.

except i think now all he wants is the lime light of forgiveness.

we haven't met the new me yet, but i think we'll get along with him just fine.

there'll be happiness after sasuke, but there was happiness because of him, too. past the blood, bruises, the curses and cries.

happiness beyond the terror in the nightfall, haunted by the look in my eyes. the same eyes that sasuke was suppose to love for a lifetime.

there still manages to be happiness in our history. across the great divide, there is a glorious sunrise, dappled with colors reminding me of sasuke's dark outfits.

but he left it all behind.