Three weeks later

Chapter 21

        Three weeks after Jen's funeral Maia and I found ourselves at a lost for words. We visit each other but never talk to each other. We're traumatized and I would hate to say for life, but it was true. Maia continues to go to her counselor and I 'm stuck at home staring into space. I never know what exactly I'm thinking.

        Maia says I need to go to counseling. I told her there was nothing anyone could do for me. I was still living with the fear of Emily coming back. Such a fear I lay awake at night, I only get a total of ten hours of sleep a week. The only person who tries to make me happy is Issac. He was about the clueless person out of everyone yet he didn't care.

        My parents weren't helping. They just think I've been scared because Jen shot "herself" in the house. It was such a bigger story than that, a way totally different one. What they don'y know won't kill them. What's going to kill me, is going to Colorado today.

        They told me I needed a vacation and that summer doesn't last forever. They even got Maia to come along. I didn't know if it was a good thing or not. Were suppose to stay at my grandparents guest house so we can walk down and visit them when we want. All I wanted was to sleep all day, maybe I could since were somewhere different.

        "Are you packed and ready?" My mother's head appeared in the doorway. Her face glowing with excitement. I sighed throwing my suitcase on the ground, making a loud thud. "Amber..." she said looking at it.

        "Sorry." I mumbled. She walked away while Maia came running in closing the door.

        "Please do not tell me you are going to act like this the whole trip. Come on, cheer up Amber it's just a week or two away. I think we both need it and I know deep down you know it too."

        "What if leaving the house creates a lot of trouble and makes everything worse? Then we all end up dying on this trip." She sighed and sit beside me.

        "We'll be perfectly fine alright so just act happy and try to make the best of this trip. Besides, I think your mom said that the guest house is like a little cabin. It has wifi, that's a plus." I laughed while trying to be happy. At least they were taking me with them this time.

        The bedroom door opened. "You girls ready to go?" We nodded our heads grabbing our stuff. Getting in the car driving away from my house. This was going to be a long trip to Colorado. Nearly six hours in a car to the airport than two hours on a plane. I absolutely hate planes and I wasn't going to like this trip no matter where we end up at.

        Three hours later we stopped at a gas station to get gas and get some things. I walked to the back and scanned the coolers for a soda. I grabbed one ready to ask Maia if she wanted one, only she wasn't behind me. "Maia." I whispered looking through the aisles. Walking I saw Maia slipping a pack of gum in her pocket. I walked over to her hitting her arm. "Put that back this store has actual function cameras and I'm pretty sure my parents don't want to get you from the police station and drive you back home." She sighed placed it back on the shelve.

        "One day you will be broke and you would have took that pack of gum too." I handed my mom the soda and went back to the car putting headphones back on. The one thing I'm glad I have for this trip, music that isn't what my parents listen too. It also meant a nice quiet car ride.

        What felt like a life time later we were finally boarding a plane. I was planning on taking a nap, so I could escape all the anxiety I had about flying. I was glad Maia was sitting beside me now. At least if the plane crashed I could die with my best friend. It was a weird thought, but it was helping.

....................................................................................................................

        "Just like I remember it." My mom said opening the front door of the cabin. The living room and the kitchen was combined. It had a dining room that was right beside a game room. Then there was stairs leading up to our bedroom. Mom and dad's were downstairs. I started walking up the stiars and pulled the door open. It sounded like it hasn't been open for years.

        I sat my suitcase down on one of the queen beds while Maia looked around shocked. "Your grandparents are millionaires. This place is huge, how'd they afford all of this?"

        "They love to gamble. They've had this place for almost seven years."

        "I want to see what their house looks like." She joked. I laughed a little and unzipped my suitcase. I put a couple of clothes in the dresser drawers.

        "Amber!" My mom screamed I sighed and walked downstairs with Maia following me. I stopped at the bottom. "Were going to say hello to grandpa and grandma. We won't be long so lock the door and don't do anything stupid alright?"

        "Bye." I said waving and walking back up. "They'll be gone for about two hours so I wouldn't plan on having dinner anytime soon." I was starving, I wish they would have just waited until tomorrow. I walked back ready to unpack everything else. I stopped in front of my suitcase. I couldn't move, I could barley breathe.

        "What is it? Oh my god, Amber, is there a bug in your suitcase? It's fine, I'll come and kill it for you." She walked over and looked over my shoulder. Her smile faded fast while we both looked at the golden locket sitting in the middle with a note that said Amber.