Sneaky Luck

Chapter 9

Maia and I went to bed after the news. She said didn't care anything about what Jen thought. I agreed and made her a bed on the floor. She went to sleep fast, while I stayed awake looking through the dark shadows of my room. Making sure there was absolutely nothing there. I didn't see how Maia was so tired, after everything that's happen today. I'd be to paranoid to even think.

I stayed awake probably an hour before drifting off to sleep. Only to wake up at seven in the morning. I quietly got up and went to take a shower. I peaked out just to make sure no ghost was trying to scare me like a horror movie. That was a reason why I took a fast shower. I got out and brushed the wet tangles of my poor blonde hair. I went to check on Maia and she was still asleep.

I went into the kitchen seeing my parents door shut. Remembering there not here, Jen was in there. So I made as much loud noise as I could just to find a blueberry muffin. Though no one came to complain and snoring filled the house. I turned on the tv and didn't expect to see anything good on this early.

I wasted my time thinking and watching Netflix. The only good thing I can think of was me sitting here doing nothing. Maia wasn't up at ten thirty and I decided to call Luke and let him know. I got my phone and searched through the contacts and called him. I heard a groggy voice "Hello?"

"Hey Luke, it's Amber. I just wanted to let you know that Maia will stay here today and maybe tonight so you won't be worried about her." I heard a muffled okay and bye. He really didn't care to much.

Thirty minutes later Jen was up and out the door so fast I forgot where she said she'd be. She asked me for my cell phone number and I reluctantly gave it to her.

Maia came out soon after Jen left. She had a shower and one of my shirts on. "Did you not bother to ask?" I said and pointed to what she was wearing.

"Didn't think you would want to wash my nasty shirt that I threw up on when I woke up." I shook my head and felt kinda bad. She sat down and I could tell she didn't look good.

"You want something to eat?" She got comfortable and simply said "No." I couldn't figure out one time she had anything to eat. She had an upset stomach, which didn't help not eating.

"Maia, when was the last time you ate anything?" I stood there waiting to here I can't remember and go fix a sandwich.

"Whatever Luke fixed me yesterday." She was telling the truth and I didn't care if I wasn't the world's greatest chef to fix her something to eat.

"Well, your going to eat a sandwich."

"I'm not hungry." She flipped through some channels. She needed to eat but I couldn't just shove food down her throat.

"Look I know you might haven't had a great week but just cause you care about everything else. Your gonna care about yourself first and your gonna eat whatever I fix you." She huffed and got off the couch. She nudged me out of her way. She then sat down on the couch with a bag of lays potato chips and a bag of homemade cookies.

An hour later Maia dozed of to sleep. She ate three cookies and at least two handful of chips. I thought she sleep all night but she usually wouldn't sleep in the middle of the day. I had a feeling she woke up and then "went" to sleep when I got up.

I had nothing to do. A thought crossed my mind. What ever happened to the necklace? Last time I saw it Maia threw it on the floor and I never picked it up. I got out of the chair and crept over to the couch. Laying down on the floor I felt under the couch finding nothing. I brought up the flashlight on my phone and still didn't see anything but some loose change. Getting off the floor and thinking I was going crazy that it wasn't there. Only to hear a banging from the basement. I sighed taking the flashlight from the kitchen and tracking down the stairs.

The lights were working but I didn't trust the good outlook. I knew the necklace didn't just get up and come down here. I turned on the lights and went to the jewelry box. I found the golden chain with the little pocket watch. I put it in my pocket and the lights went out. "I'm one step ahead of you." I said to the dark where a persuadable ghost was lingering. I turned on the flashlight and searched my surrounding area. Then, to my luck my flashlight flickered. I started hitting it maybe just turned a wrong way. It went dead and I stood helpless in the dark. I tried to ignore the pounding of my heartbeat. It was the only thing I heard.

Then the humming of a single light bulb glowed to my left. I carefully walked over till I was about three feet away. I saw the same white clothes pale blonde girl. The same dark eyes and tired look. She smiled her teeth brown. The same face that was haunting but never meant anything but confusion. The light above her blinked rapidly. She titled her head, not much changing. Until I really looked.

Her teeth was turning into points, sharp and jagged. Her eyes turning into deep black tunnels. Her face screaming I can kill you right now. Her finger nails were as sharp as her teeth. They all had tints of red at the ends. Then some on her clothes. She laughed, it was always like a low cat growl. Sending me shivers, I screamed full of pure horror. Black spiders went out her mouth filling on her face crawling on her arms and legs.  I keep screaming until Maia ran down the stairs and everything went away. The lights came on none flickering. I was standing there blinking, nothing was there. She was gone.

"What is wrong?" she asked breathless. I couldn't talk I was shaking like a leaf. I couldn't even move. Maia helped me up the stairs and I sat back on the chair. "What did you see?"

"I...i saw Emily. She..shh..." I had to take a deep breath as Maia stared at me consistently. "She had sharp teeth and nails with blood and she just laughed while this light just flickered above her. It was awful, scary." She was the only one who could understand.She didn't see her but she was trying to picture it. The one time she saw her and apply what I told her, she flinched.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." She turned around and started to watch tv again. She didn't care unless I was crying or passed out on the floor. It wasn't like her to be like this.

The rest of the day seemed like a blur. Maia dozed off and on the whole day. While I was awake watching reruns of I killed my BFF. She never noticed when she wasn't sleeping. Until it went off, "What were you planning on killing me in my sleep?"

"No, I've watched four episodes before this and none of them had how to kill your best friend when there sleeping." She gave me a mean glare. "I'm just kidding."

"I hope so. What time is it?" I looked at the clock on the wall. It read seven fifteen.

"Seven fifteen, why?" She yawned and stretched.

"I was thinking about going to bed." My mouth dropped.

"Are you kidding me? You've slept all day." She stood up and walked to the window behind me. "What are you doing?" She said a quick shh in my face. She gently pulled the blind so she could see.

"Oh geez." She grabbed the remote turning off the tv leaving the house quiet. Then she quickly turned off the light also, giving me a heart attack. The daylight was quickly fading making the house dark.

"What are you doing?" I said frantically jumping out of the chair looking out the window. There was a car in the driveway. Jen was driving and was speculating the house. She cut the car off and got out. She went to the trunk and got out a shovel. She went to the back of the house. "Come on." Mia said leading me through the dark to my room. We looked through my window. Jen was a shoveling a hole looking around her each second. When she got finished she went back to the front. We stayed in my room waiting for Jen to return. When she did she had a big black  bag.

She unzipped it and dragged a middle aged woman out of it. Throwing her in the hole. Next taking out a little boy, then a man. Throwing them in with the woman then covering them up with dirt. Maia gasped, and I looked with shock. The three people on the news, were being buried in my yard. This wasn't just a homicide in my yard. There was a serial killer staying in my house.