Secret Spying

Chapter 13

The afternoon crept up fast and Maia's mom was very worried about her. So, she  went home to tell her mom she was okay and she was going to stay about two days.

She left me to tell Jen, when she left, that we were going to the bowling alley. It was an obvious lie, but Jen didn't know that. Maia hated the bowling alley after I dropped a seven pound bowling ball on her foot. It broke three of her toes. She never went back ever again.

Maia's so called "plan" was for us to spy on Jen and find answers from a ghost at the same time. I told her it was impossible to do that. She said nothing's impossible unless you don't try. I decided to shut up and go along like I always have. Then when something goes wrong, I can be the one to fix it.

Before I could think of something terrible going to happen Jen came out from her hole and looked ready for a job interview. "Where are you going like that?" She smiled and looked into the mirror hanging on the wall next to the door.

"Got a date and I decided to look decent instead of looking like a slut." I laughed. Does she really think a guy wants a girl who looks like a slut all the time but decides to look good for once? She needs a guy who sees her for who she really is, or at least one who's nice. She distracted me from what I was suppose to tell her.

"That's a good idea.k Also, Maia and I are going to the bowling alley in about thirty minutes. I'll be back before you do though." She shook her head and turned around facing me. Her hair straightened and makeup applied on her face. In a clean crisp dress with tights under it. The dress was ugly to me. It was a dark purple with black stripes, I hate stripes. I didn't think she looked any better than she did before.

"Fine with me, just lock the door when you go out. I got to go so, bye." She left before I could keep her any longer. I texted Maia who said she just left her house. She said she was following Jen right now. I was glad Jen decided to walk instead of take her car. Which was something to consider suspicious.

Maia texted me five minutes later and told me Jen went into a restaurant. Which simply meant it was time for me to walk. She texted me the address to the restaurant. Which, by the time I typed it into my phone, I didn't notice that it was Mezze's. I then found out I had to walk almost seven miles. By the time I got there Maia had texted me again and said to meet her in the stop ins  bathroom. I thought about ditching her until she said they weren't that bad of a crappy place. I walked in trough the doors not noticing that there was only one worker who didn't bother to stare at me, while she smoked her cigarette. I went in the little store and didn't see a name brand drink in sight. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out where exactly the bathroom was. I knocked on the door "Someones in here!" Maia yelled.

"No. i just thought the door wont open cause it was stuck." She opened the door and and looked outside at the woman who  was smoking another cigarette. i was glad i didn't come in here to buy anything or the long wait would just make me want to take it. "So, whats up with Jen?" she rolled her eyes.

"Absolutely nothing. She hasn't had or got anything from where shes been going." I thought this was the part when her plan fails.

"Maybe, we should just wait at night.Act like were not there again." She was thinking about making it more complicated than it seems. She just had to listen to what I was saying, then she would get it.

"Well, I guess you have  a point."

"So, lets just go back to my house and watch movies or something." She looked like that was the most boring thing I ever suggested we do. She slightly smiled.

"Amber, we still have another part to my plan." Maia looked outside and saw the lady was gone. Why would she want  to leave her store unattended? She walked over and grabbed a candy bar and put it in her pocket.

"Maia! Put it back, what if they have cameras in here?" She looked at the ceiling and in the corners. I was now imaging her getting arrested for shoplifting. She shrugged her shoulders and grabbed a off brand diet coke. She put it in her bag.

"Do you want one?" I sighed and walked out of the store. I started to walk home when i heard heavy footsteps following me. "You know Amber, im pretty sure how old that store is, they don't have cameras."

"Its the point that you took it." I stated.

"I wouldn't have took it if no one was there." I keep walking and ignoring everything she was saying. Everything shes ever done always turns out twisted into something else. I don't want to go home and wake any stupid spirits. Especially the one that's been trying to scar me for life.

When i got to my house I went in and forgot Maia was behind me and tried to slam the door shut. Hitting her accidentally in the face. I know she thought I did it on purpose, so I decided to just let her think that and went to the bathroom. I looked into the mirror seeing the bags under my eyes that always were nonexistent.My lack of sleep and sanity were slowly crumbling.

I decided to go out and walked out into the living room and found Maia sitting on the couch.  I looked at the time on the microwave. It said 6:45 it was already that late? I wasn't good for keeping the time. I always was obsessive over knowing the it. I quietly sat in the chair and started watching whatever show was on. Everything was so quiet, I started to doze off.

I woke up to what didn't feel like much time later. To a loud boom, like that hasn't been getting old. I saw it was completely dark and I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I heard some scuffling it seemed like right in front of me. I tried to focus on the dark, to see anything. I then saw a flicker of a flame.

"Maia, what are you doing?" I asked, because she was sitting on the floor with a candle.

"Get down here, where summoning spirits." I slowly crept down to the carpet and beside her. Looking at the three glowing candles on the floor. "What did you do with that neck less?" I felt in my pocket, it was still there. I was pretty surprised it didn't magically disappear again.

"yeah, its in my pocket."I got it out seeing the gold shine from the light. It made me flinch, I sat it down. Maia picked it up. 'What are you going to do with it?" She held up her finger indicating she wanted me to wait for an answer.

"Okay, so I made up the Ouija board. But i think its pretty good. We can use the locket, since she has a connection to it. " I looked at the made-up board  as she dragged it out from under the couch. "Let's start." she smiled as if this was the most wonderful thing that had ever happen to her.

We put our index finger on the locket. "What are we suppose to ask her that we don't already know?" Maia shrugged her shoulders and simply spit out the first thing that came to her mind.

"Uh, Why are you a sciatic ghost?" I laughed it was more of a joke than a question.

"Maia, you might want to try and start on a easier question. Maybe, like a yes or no." She nodded her head.

"You try." I sighed. I had no idea what to ask this wasn't my idea at all. I only had the most logical thing to ask.

"Do you haunt any other people besides us?" I looked at Maia who was studying the board. Nothing was happening. The locket moved ever so slightly to my left. It then shot up to NO. The air I didn't know I was holding came out. 'Should we ask another?" Maia took a breath and shook her head and started to talk.

"What kind of dark, deep secrets do you want?" She looked over at me and we waited for the locket to move. It gradually started to move, fast spelling out something. I said it the letters out loud. "M-I-C-H-A-E-L" Then the scratching started through the house.