Home sweet home?

Chapter 5

        I walked like I had an urgency to get home. I didn't want to spend another second with Brandon. He was quiet, that was unusual. "You know you could slow down. Nothing's going to get you, well unless your scared of me." He laughed, it wasn't a nervous laugh. It his genuine laugh. That was what made me smile.

        "Trust me, not even a lion would be scared of you." I looked at him he looked like he was thinking of a idiotic answer. "So are you suggesting I'm a softy?" I laughed, it wasn't that funny. Why did I laugh?

        "No, no I'm not. Your just really nice."

        "Nicer than Maia? I'm being serious." He pressed his lips into a straight line. He was scared of what I would say. He knew the answer. What a stupid question.

        "Of course you are. I-I mean"

        "It's okay. Calm down, we all have problems with Maia, I got it. She's not exactly the... happy, fun kind of person." He got that right, for sure. Maia was nice when she wanted to be. She loved to talk and have fun. Days like this one, no one wants to be near her

        I could see the roof of my house. This conversation could be over. "Your right, she's not really." I made up that answer. I thought Maia was decent most of the time. Maybe around me, might not be with Brandon. He was probably her slave.

        "So, we agree. I should dump Maia." He said it with heart. Meaning, like it had to be done. I shouldn't have said anything about her. I was screwed.

        "No, no that's not what I meant. I'm sure you and Maia could work things out. Like her and I are, I don't think it's going well, but it always works out."

        "How's that, it always works out thing going for you. The last time she saw you she wanted you out of her house." He was making a statement, that he wanted to dump her and that he thinks Maia has people issues.

        "Fine, do whatever you want. I'm not stopping you." I walked up my wooden steps and sat in a chair on my porch. Jen wasn't back yet, what a surprise. Brandon walked up the steps and sat in a chair beside me. He knows he can leave right?

        "You don't have to watch me now. You can go home. Or breakup with Maia, I don't care." I looked at the little black holes above me. When I was six I shot a paintball gun and colored the top. They were black, so mom just thought it was the color was fading.

        "Okay.. one thing first." He got up and pulled me out of my chair. "Do something besides sit around all day. You don't want to turn into a watermelon." I laughed, was that suppose to be another compliment. "Another thing you should know." He said slightly looking at the ground.

        "I don't love Maia. I've always had feelings for you." He looked at me and walked away. I stood there not sure of what I should do with that comment. I went into the house and sit in the chair.

        My front door opened. I whipped around. "Look what the cat dragged in." Maia seemed a little bit better. Oh god, how was I going to tell her suppose to be boyfriend said he had feelings for me? This wasn't the time.

        "Yeah, you missed Brandon, I think he said he was going home." I started to move my fingers trying to resist anxiety. 

        "So, what are you keeping, I can tell you want to tell me something." She could tell. I have to think of something good enough, but not to stupid. Defiantly not the truth.

        "Uh.. well, i forgot to tell you when you left that Jen went shopping. It could have saved you a trip here." I knew that wasn't good enough, it would have to do.

        "Okay... you sure that's what you wanted to tell me, you don't sound too sure abou-"

        "I'm sure. You might want to go home, get some rest." I was pushing her away, not a good sign.

        "I would love too. Only Luke's not there and my mom and dad won't be home until later tonight. I-I also don't want to go back home. There's something I need to tell you." She didn't sound like she wanted to tell me something good. She was acting strange, she never wants to tell me serious stuff. She should go home. I have to much stuff to figure out. Then I remembered that Jen said Maia had secrets. Maybe she wanted to tell me.

        "Okay, then let's go inside." I walked in after Maia and shut the door. She sat on the couch with a gloom face. I sat down beside her, waiting for her to talk.

        "You know, when you told me that you saw a ghost. Well, when Luke left a book fell of the shelve. Inside there was a note and it said your secrets aren't safe with me. Then i thought it was Jen, but I went into my room and there was a pale girl standing and then she threw me against my wall. That's how I blacked out. Then Brandon came over, Im so sorry, I really should have told you that we were dating. I didn't want you to hate me. Now I'm scared, what if that ghost killed those girls. What if she kills us because we don't listen to her?"

        She had a good explanation, what was Emily really here for. She made it clear she didn't want her neckless back. She went to Maia's house and told her she knew all her secrets. What was the point of that? She didn't just come here to get the job done. She came for revenge. "It's okay, I really don't like Brandon anymore. I think Emily wants us to hate her and then I guess she can use our secrets, as an advantage possibly." I lied to her face, I wasn't over Brandon. He was going to break up with her. I think Emily is going to hold it above our heads. I don't want to see the day that happens.

        "Oh." Was all she said. She apparently had way more secrets than I do. I still haven't figured out half of them. I never kept things from Maia. She was the only person I felt safe telling. I trusted her, I didn't think she felt the same way about me. "I'm going to go back home. Hopefully Luke should be back by now." She got up off the couch and went out the door.

        I looked at the time it was four. You'd think Jen would be back by now, she went to go get stuff like three hours ago. Maybe she had a boyfriend and went to see him. I then didn't know what to do. Tv didn't seem appealing either did reading. Maybe I could investigate Emily. See what she wants, and try to fix it before anything else happens.