Starting to feel a lot like home

Dimitri's point of view

Could she feel it too?

That irresistible pull towards each other. I could feel something so strong, so undeniably when she hugged me, I felt something I have never felt before.

I have had numerous companions, and countless women that I have used over the time to fulfill my needs, but never have I once felt like this with any of them. This felt so true and so compelling. I had to fight to keep Luca in control whenever she was around me.

When we hugged, there was no way of denying our mate bond. It was pulling our souls together like a forceful magnet.

That wasn't it. There was indeed something else special about her, I couldn't read her thoughts. It was impossible, I could read every single supernatural creature in existence but I couldn't with her. Reading thoughts was one of my special abilities as a Lycan but for the first time ever, there was someone I couldn't see through. It was frustrating and at the same time a challenge.

It was like she was a human but at the same time like she was something else--something more.

I recall what I had read on her files compiled by Lance, it was full of many tragedies. She was an orphan at a very young age too, I couldn't stop myself from sympathizing with her on that, I for one knew how it felt to lose both your parents. She was moved from one foster care system to another, with no one willing to adopt her.

In the end, she got adopted by a wasted drunk and drug abuser, I wonder how the system could give her out to an abuser like that. If the old man wasn't already dead I swear I would have killed him myself. I couldn't control this sudden need I was feeling to protect her from the eyes of the world, I couldn't explain it but I just knew that I needed to keep her safe.

But one of the things that really caught my attention from her file, was the fact that she never really settled down in one place for long. It seemed like she was always on the move, from town to town living in hiding. It was like she was running from something. There were a lot of secrets surrounding my little mate, Isabelle Simmons.

Yes, I knew her real name from the first time I saw her, I don't really know why she had to lie but she must have been in serious trouble to want to conceal her real identity from us, so me and my pack went with her lie and regarded her as Natalie.

I let my mind wander on these thoughts as I stood there on the balcony, peering into the moon. I could hear two female voices talking– I identified one of the voices as Isabella's and the other as Rubi. What the fuck was she doing back here.

I quickly rushed back inside to find Rubi holding on to Isabelle's arm, blocking her path.

'What was this bitch doing now?' I sighed in frustration. I knew Ruby would be back today from her trip to her grandparents pack, but couldn't she last a minute without stirring up any drama.

"Stupid human! Listen here, Dimitri is mine, just mine alright. He belongs to only me! And I don't want to even see you around him, you do not even dare to look at him!" That crazy woman screamed, glaring at my mate. She was really crazy to believe that there was something between us.

I was about to step in and put Rubi in her place. Because I allow her to warm my bed, that doesn't give her any right to insinuate that there's an us. There was no relationship between us, she was just one of my sluts.

Luca kept urging me to step in before the situation turned ugly but I waited. I wanted to see what would happen next, mostly I wanted to see what Isabella could do.

"Gosh, you're so annoying," Isabella chuckled, rolling her eyes at Rubi. "No wonder why he only fucks you."

And in a fluid motion, Rubi hit her. Rubi hit my mate. I felt my blood boil in rage at the sight.