Nightmares from the past

Isabella point of view

"ISABELLA! YOU HAVE TO RUN AWAY NOW!" I heard my mom scream as she burst open the wooden doors to my room. At first I was shocked and taken aback by the fact that my mom just blew down my door and barged in without knocking, usually she is always calm and collected but right now she was anything but calm and collected--she was in a state of sheer panic.

In an instant, I could discern the urgency in her voice, I understood it had to do with the chaos that has been emanating through the floorboards of our coven. I have been awake in silence for some time now, hearing the ruckus and commotion that exuded from outside the four corners of my room walls. Screams, cries and wails were erupting from the place I grew up to call my home. Voices I could identify were in pain.

"Mom, what's going on?" I stood up in my little white silky dress, with my eyebrows knit in profound confusion. It was late at night and it was mind bogglingly odd to be awakened by the sounds of screams and cries. I couldn't understand what was going on.

"We are under attack!" she told me in haste, her eyes were closed shut and her soft blond hair was plaited in a warrior sequence that went all the way to her waist. Although all I could hear from my mother was hushed mumblings, but it seemed like she was whispering some kind of spell to herself, I could notice the candle's flames were burning higher as an effect of her magic. This made me all the more worried. What in the hell was really going on?

"Take this!" she boomed loudly getting all my attention. She shoved into my hands the crested cover of our family grimoire, I read the ancient writings on the cover of it 'The book of dark shadows'...

'BLOOD IS THE KEY'

Another uproar erupted from outside making me tremble in fear, as I clung tightly to the book I held in my arms, in desperate search for any form of comfort it could provide me with, but I was met with nothing but a cold relief.

"Mom, Wha- what's happening? Who dares to attack us? mom?" I demanded, wanting to be fully debriefed about what was going on but all I got from my mom was a knowing look and sorrowful eyes.

It was then realized I had the answers to my questions all along. We were attacked by our own blood. We were attacked by my aunt Delilah, the renegade witch of the Black Rose coven.

I heard my mom and some elders discussing about it just yesterday, that her arrival would only bring havoc and problems to our coven but I wasn't aware it would be this terrible.

But another question sparked at the back of my mind, how was a single witch able to cause so much turmoil and damage to an entire coven of powerful witches? It was simply unheard of.

The Black Rose coven were great warriors and even greater witches. My mom always told me tales about how we were tasked and given great powers by the witches goddess Hecate, to fight against evil. It was the job of our coven to protect the mundane world from any unearthly threat.

"We don't have much time dear. Your aunt Delilah will soon come after me and then she will come for you. You need to run away now!" My mother smiled faintly, crouching down on her knees so she could look into my eyes. Her oceanic blue eyes reflected my own, holding a lot of tears and regret.

"Where is dad?" My mom looked at me, her expression filled with sadness.

"Where is aunt Maggie and Primá Diego?" I asked worried about my little cousin Diego. I hope he was safe, I can't possibly go and leave all of them behind.

"No! I'm not going to leave you and everyone behind. Let me stay back and fight. I have been practicing my spells and magic just like you taught me. You said I would become the greatest witch the world has ever seen, remember? Trust me mom, I'm good now, believe me." I muttered, as I could feel my mom trembling. A single teardrop fell from her eyes. It was scary seeing my own mother like this. She was a strong woman and a powerful witch, she always concealed her fears and emotions so seeing her this way was really strange and even more scary.