ben solo | that was enough

i seem to be back :-) i'll probably be writing some spider-man imagines to get ready for no way home, so if you have requests for that, let me know <3

/ / /

You had begged him to come back to you, to come back to the light, for years. Years of endless pleas that seemed to have no effect on him whatsoever. The Jedi boy that you had fallen in love with as a young adult, that had changed so much so quickly and had thrown away everything his family had ever given him. All for a lie. All for the dark side that his own grandfather had foolishly trusted in, too.

Trying to bring Ben Solo back from the dark side nearly killed you. He had spared you on the night he destroyed Luke Skywalker's temple and killed half of his students. But when you snuck onto his ship and begged him to come back to you, he offered no mercy. His face was hidden behind a helmet that completely erased the boy you once loved. You managed to escape with a searing cut up your right arm. He had been aiming for your throat. It was only because you turned away that he missed. Now the scar was a permanent memory of how you approached him without a weapon, without threat, and he went for the kill without hesitation.

Nothing you could do could bring him back.

And yet here he was, standing in front of you, a blue lightsaber in hand. You had nearly died at the hands of the Knights of Ren and he had stepped in and saved you. His face was no longer hidden by a mask. He was staring down at you and you wondered what he was thinking. What could he be thinking, seeing you here, ready to face off against Palpatine and give your life to save Rey?

His lips parted and his brown eyes softened. "There's so much I want to say to you."

"There's no time," you said quickly, wincing at the sound of his voice. You had gone so long accepting that his gentle voice and his soft eyes would be lost forever. That he really did kill Ben Solo when he betrayed his uncle. "Rey needs us."

You turned away from him and started walking further into the darkness. Somewhere in the distance, sparks of blue light lit your way. You knew Rey was there.

He followed you, only having to take a few big steps to catch up with you. "I know what you think of me. You have every right. I was a monster, I was---"

"Yes," you agreed. "You were a monster."

There wasn't time for any other conversation. You and Ben met Rey in front of Palpatine's throne. She was breathless, with tears of thankfulness in her eyes. She and Ben nodded at one another in an unspoken understanding. Shifting your eyes between the two, you knew that whatever you and Ben had in the past was severed completely. Of course, nearly a decade of betrayal and him living his life as Kylo Ren could have told you that, but it was confirmed with the way he looked at her.

The way he looked at her was how he used to look at you. Like what was in front of him was his only hope, his only source of light.

Together, the three of you faced Palpatine. Knowing that survival was unlikely, you made your final peace. Electricity emerging from the Emperor's fingers rippled through your body. A gutted scream left your lips and your body was twisted upward into the air. You saw Ben soar upward with you, and the two of you were tossed directly into a pit. Your shoulder slammed against the wall of rock and your hand shot up. Although your bones ignited in pain, you dug your fingers into the crevice of the stone to catch yourself.

As your chest hit the wall, you peered down. Ben hit a ledge and slipped off the edge, falling deeper into the darkness. "Ben!" you screamed, watching him disappear far below you.

With a grunt of pain and exhaustion, you looked back up at the lightning filled sky. Hopelessness filled you only for a moment. Rey was still alive. Ben was still alive. Hope was not lost.