din djarin | fairytale

more din because i'm in love and because Melonhead15 requested this; 2.3k+ words

(just a reminder that you can request right now :-))

/ / /

You had never known true fear like you did the moment you watched the blaster shot meet the back of Din's head. Although his beskar offered protection from hits like that, the shot that fired was too close. The moment he collapsed and didn't get back up was the moment you knew that something was very, very wrong.

All you could do was stare at the sight of the single person that meant the entire galaxy to you, helpless on the ground, unable to defend you or the kid from the blaster-fire that followed. As a trained assassin, you trusted your instincts to immediately take cover behind the curve of the wall, pressing you back against a grate and ignoring the pinch of it, pausing to let them fire until their fingers grew too tired. When there was a lull in their shots, you stepped out of cover, both of your guns in hands, a baby strapped to your back. You didn't hold back.

Din was at your feet, slowly turning himself over and then crawling into cover. He was alive, but he was hurting badly. You ducked back into cover and looked at him across the corridor, sitting up weakly against the wall. His trembling hand touched the back of his head, where his helmet met the neckline of his shirt. When he pulled his gloved fingers back, blood dripped from them.

You clenched your teeth, anger flaring inside of you, and stepped out of cover once again. You killed the rest of them in record time. As you slipped your guns back into their places on your belt, you darted across the corridor and knelt in front of Din.

"Back to the ship," he grunted. "Can't... can't look here."

You nodded, lips pressed together tightly. You moved your hands underneath his arms and then wrapped them around him. He was weak and hanging onto your shoulder as you pulled him to his feet and started out of the wreckage of the ship the two of you had just forced to land. With every body of the stormtrooper you had to step over, Din groaned in pain. You could only wonder how bad his injury was.

He was barely able to hold his own when you made it back to the Razor Crest. He collapsed on the floor as you closed the hatch.

"The kid---" he started.

"He's fine," you said quickly. You pulled the straps of the carrier off your shoulders and pulled the baby out of them. He whined when you placed him on the ground. Giving him a quick glance-over, you determined that he was unharmed and turned your attention back to Din.

He was on his back, groaning loudly, head turned to the side. You flipped him slowly onto his stomach and you could only get a glimpse of the burned skin of his neck, so torn and bright red that you didn't even know what the color was supposed to be. The beskar had bent slightly with the closeness of the shot and had punctured the skin just to the side of the burn. Blood seeped out of it in never-ending pulses.

"Din," you said, your voice breaking. He was breathing so heavily beneath you. "I-I have to remove your helmet to look at it."

"Not an option."

"Din---"

"Not an option," he said. "Just let me die. Leave me here and take the kid and go. You know how to take care of him. He'll be... he'll be fine with you. He trusts you."

Your voice was firm and strained. "No."

But his voice was just a soft whisper. "Princess, I trust you."

Tears filled your eyes and you turned him back on his back. He was looking right at you, you knew he was. "If you trust me, then trust me. I won't look. You have my word. I wouldn't... I wouldn't break your Creed like that, Din. I couldn't stand myself if I did. But I can't just leave you here to die knowing that I have full capability of helping you."