cassian andor | i promise i'll do better

requested by no one; 1.8k+ words

It had been a long string of particularly rough days

It had been a long string of particularly rough days. You'd never felt more like a screw-up until this week. Tons of incorrect reports sent in, assignments turned in far past the date they were requested, and multiple slip ups on easy missions. Missed shots, moving too slow, screwing up the plans your leaders had. Screwing up even the most simple orders. 

Your brain felt fuzzy and your limbs felt too slow. You were a poor excuse for Rebel, that much was true. You'd never felt worse about yourself until now.

But today was a fresh day with a fresh set of orders. You and Cassian had new orders to investigate why Imperials had started shipping kyber crystals across the galaxy. He had a guy named Tivik on the Ring of Kafrene, waiting with crucial information. You and Cassian went on missions together often, so something like this would be something comfortable and normal. Maybe you'd do better today.

You'd certainly feel better, having a day with Cassian. A day where the two of you could be together without any unwanted stares on you. Well, except K-2 would be there like always. He knew of yours and Cassian's relationship but kept it as secret as you wanted him to. It was the one good thing about the droid.

You sighed as you tossed your bag onto the floor of the open U-WING. You took the giant step up to board it and glanced around. Cassian was nowhere to be found, but his droid was standing at the front of the ship, working on the datapad in front of him. 

"Hey, K-2," you greeted. You picked your bag off the floor and tossed it onto the co-pilot's chair. 

"Hello," he replied. "Are you coming?" 

"Yeah," you said, eyebrows pulling together. "Why?" 

"No... reason," he said.

"Okay," you said, confused. You turned back to your bag and opened it. You started to rummage through it, making sure you had everything you would need. 

"Cassian thinks it's a bad idea if you come this time. I think so, too." 

Your hands stopped. "What?" 

"I said Cassian thinks it's a bad idea if you come this time," he repeated. "I think so, too." 

Betrayal. That was the first thing you felt. You thought of how you'd told Cassian you'd been having a tough week and he had assured you that you were doing nothing wrong and that the job wasn't always easy but you were good at what you did... And now there was this. After he had bragged about you to all of his friends. After he had kissed you sweetly in the dark and told you that there was no one better than you. He was talking about you behind your back?

You swallowed hard and rolled your eyes as you turned on your heels to face the reprogrammed Imperial droid that belonged to your best friend. "Oh, do you now?" 

"Yes," K-2SO said. "And so does Cassian. Did you hear that part?" 

"I did," you said, nodding. You tried to ignore the pain that comment caused you. K-2 always said whatever came into his head, so you shouldn't be surprised that he would make a comment like that. But hearing that it was Cassian that had said it too and had talked to his droid about it, knowing that his droid was as talkative as he was uncaring --- that hurt in a different way. "Did he really say that?"