Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Stella woke up and gasped for air at having yet another nightmare. She still couldn't believe that her mother was really dead. All she could think about was her and the memories they shared. They were on constant replay in her mind. One in specific though.

"Be honest with yourself." Her mother's voice echoed throughout her head.

Stella got up and walked out to the kitchen to grab some water. As she passed by the living room, she stopped in her tracks and did a double-take at the sight of a grand piano sitting near the window.

"Harry? Did you get a piano?" She called out only to see Harry pop his head out from the kitchen.

"Yes. I hope you don't mind but I thought that it would be nice to have." He said, walking out and leaning against the wall, revealing his exposed chest.

Stella stared at the man for a few seconds and took in his structured figure before looking away, her face flushing in the process as she briefly made eye contact with a smirking Harry.

"What? See something you like?" Harry put Stella on the spot, her face turning even more red from the embarrassment of being caught checking him out.

"God no." Stella tried to deny it.

"Sure." Harry's voice dripped in sarcasm.

"Um, okay then." She nodded her head while looking at the piano, trying not to draw too much attention to their previous conversation.

"You can play it if you like." He motioned towards the instrument, heading towards it before sitting down at the stool.

"Do you play?" She asked him, walking over to join.

"A little. I'm not very good." He admitted as he played a C Major.

Stella sat down next to him and placed her hand above the keys, her fingers itching to play. She slowly started to play the song "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bon Iver and hummed along to it.

"Cause I can't make you love me if you don't." Harry began to sing the chorus, Stella turning her attention to the singer who had his eyes closed.

She watched as his jaw clenched up and moved while he hit certain notes and sang different riffs. Harry sang with so much passion that it made anyone listening feel the emotion behind it all.

"Here in the dark, in these final hours, I will lay down my heart and I'll feel the power." Stella came in with the harmony, the two's voices blending together and complimenting one another.

"Take the second verse." Harry instructed Stella once they had finished up the chorus.

"I'll close my eyes then I won't see the love you don't feel when you're holding me." She sang.

Stella was so focused on the music that she didn't even notice Harry pull out his phone and place it on the piano, secretly recording the two.

"I found love, darling. Love in the knick of time." They finished the last phrase of the song, staring into each other's eyes as they did so.

Stella remained looking at Harry as she played the last few chords to the song. Her hand grazed over Harry's arm ever so gently as she finished the last chord. The sudden warm contact made her body lightly shake, small goosebumps lining up her arm. She scooted a bit more off to the right in order to avoid touching Harry which resulted in her resting on the edge of the bench.

"Write a song with me." He blurted out, making Stella laugh and shake her head in denial.

"Funny." She said, looking away from him.