Chapter 19

''W-Who are you?'' I dared to speak out loud.

The man I'd never seen before was calmly sitting on the left side of the couch - too calm for an intruder if he was one. I was mentally yelling at myself that he had to be because there was no rational explanation as to why he had the access to my home without my knowledge. Although his posture was relaxed, man's face was blank as if he didn't decipher a word coming out of my mouth. 

Out of nowhere, my aunt Lorie appeared with a big smile plastered on her face, ''Hi, sweetie! I thought I heard someone coming in.''

Bewildered, I let her hug me, while the man was still sitting on my couch. Was I missing something?

''Auntie, who's-?'' I asked her, as I tilted my head towards the stranger. I'd know if he was anyhow related to us or a friend of Lorie's. But he wasn't.

''Oh!'' She turned to look at him, ''I'm so sorry if he scared you! That's Juan, he works with Derek, who had to drive our little princess to some school event, so he's taking me to work along with him. He also doesn't talk much so don't bother.'' 

That was a huge relief. Derek, Lorie's husband, works as a bodyguard so that explained the gun the man was carrying with himself. Even though he wasn't working, he still had this poker face and this big guy attitude with him. Which scared me shitless, I must admit.

''It's alright, I just wasn't expecting you, that's all.''

''Haven't you got my messages?'' She asked as she made a way to the living room to pack the rest of her things. I furrowed my eyebrows, as I stuck my hand in my black purse, which was a thing I recently treated myself with, trying to find a stupid phone. Once I did, there were indeed three messages left from Lorie, telling me how she went to my apartment to get some of her stuff. Good thing I heard the notifications.

I sat with her for just a little bit, since she was already being late to work. Auntie asked me where had I been, so I explained my absence and I'd never have guessed she'd be happy to know I visited my old friend. She met Matt a few years ago, while we were both still in college, of course. They immediately clicked so it was understandable she liked the fact we acquainted once again.

After being left alone, I started getting ready for my job as well. Today was Andrei's birthday and I couldn't wait to surprise him.

*        *        *

Little did I know, Andrei was locked up in a solitary, along with Roy Banks for initiating a fight. For a whole week. Well actually, there were six days left to be precise. I still couldn't believe the stupidity of the two of them. I did wonder what was the cause of it and to be quite frank, it irked me so much that this had happened altogether.

It took some time to persuade the warden to let me visit him. As he put it, his punishment was social isolation and required strictness when it came to a human interaction. I realized that, somewhat, but did not practice it in any way. If anything, people lose their mind being so cut off from the rest of the world. I know I did the first and the last time locked up in there.

Seeing how it was his birthday and I may say I possessed convenient nagging skills, he let me be. Satisfied with the outcome of our conversation, I let my small heels clack against the hard floor while walking towards the restricted area. The guards let me pass, after showing them my working badge. 

''You're here to see Zakharov?'' One of them asked, as he was probably warned beforehand by the warden himself.

''I am.''

He said something under his breath, something I could not hear and didn't care to acknowledge anyway, prior to opening the door of Andrei's cell. His eyes peeked out, as they tried to adjust to the light, and I realized just then how inhuman this whole thing was.