Chapter 14

The fact that Lloyd requested my assistance sent both elated and unsure feeling to me. In these past few days, I wished nothing more but to be able to see him and exchange a word or two and finally, that wish was granted. On the other hand, I wasn't completely sure how would such thing turn out. Was I ready to hear what he had to say? Or was he not right in his mind to tell me any of the stuff I desperately wanted to know about?

I knew warden didn't want to let me go to him for two reasons. First, Lloyd would talk. No matter what, truth or lie, something will come out of him and both of us were aware that there would be some truth laying behind. And whatever it was, I had a feeling he didn't want me to be a part of it. Second, he knew I was clever. I didn't need all of the puzzles to get the whole picture - I just needed a few important parts to get a clear sight in my head.

''Rob will take you,'' Said the warden, as he thought about Lloyd's request, ''You'll only have five minutes. And that's final.''

''Is it necessary for the guard to come with? Lloyd's my patient, after all, and I have all the rights to speak freely with him.''

Warden's face turned into a scowl, ''Not while an investigation's being in a process.''

''I have the same rights as his own lawyer does when it comes to seeing him.'' I said, knowing very well what the law says. Five years of college did thought me something.

''If he's not right in his mind, which he is.''

''Then how would you explain the breakdown he had in my office?'' I asked, ignoring the burning sensation of Andrei's eyes on me, ''That's now how a person who's right in his mind would act.''

''Miss Tennyson, I'm the one who's in a charge here, not you. Therefore, if I say he's not mentally ill, he is not. Until I state otherwise, I advise you do as I say or stay out of it.''

That was unfair. What kind of person would deliberately refuse to embrace the fact that one of his inmates has a problem? Instead of making him feel better, warden only makes him feel worse. I wasn't going to let any of my patients being bullied while they're under my watch. Somehow.

''What if I can prove he is mentally ill? What then?''

The way he was looking at me suggested that I better zip my mouth shut or else.

''Five minutes. And better use them good because you might not get another chance.''

I had two options and if I decided to stay here and make another argument, I'd lose Llyod for good. Which most definitely was not an option for me. I nodded my head and let that guard, Rob I think, lead me out of the warden's office.

I pitied Andrei for staying any longer with that man. Usually, no one can piss me off just like that - meaning it can take time and time to do such thing. But the moment I left his room, I felt incredibly angry.

After a three minute walk, we reached the nursery part of the mass building. Prior to this, I had never stepped within these walls - only stayed put by the front door. Although I felt incredibly grateful for being able to see my patient, I wasn't sure if his words were something I could bear.

The moment I stepped inside of the room, the air was knocked out of my lungs. Lloyd posture was slouched, as he held his hand across his stomach. He looked ill - both mentally and physically. His head was moving left and right as if he was battling with himself and his own demons that played inside his head. 

How could someone look at him and not see that he indeed needs a treatment? How could someone act like a blind person to these kinds of things? Just how?

''Lloyd.'' I managed to speak out loud as I took a step forward. His head automatically snapped in my way and I tried to give him as assuring smile as possible. Lloyd's wellbeing most certainly won't be good any time soon but I will fight with every ounce of power to get him back on his track.