Chapter 11: How Dare She!

E M B E R 

I wake up to the sun shining in my eyes, almost smiling as I yawn and rub my eyes when I sense a presence near me. 

His presence. 

What the hell! I frown slightly. Did I fall asleep? Here of all places? Ugh! With him beside me? And he is really close. I look back and study him as if it were a math textbook. Complicated yet interesting. What? Math used to be my favourite subject— that's when a groan escapes his sweet lips as his eyes flutter open and lock with mine. 

Um. What is this? This feeling? My heart is thumping in my chest, and I feel my face blushing. I feel speechless when startled, I jolt up and press my hand against my chest. 

My heart is indeed beating so much faster than it ever has. 

I stand up immediately. Sebastian straightens up with a curious gaze burning the side of my head because I can't find in myself to look at his face. I clear my throat, "Uh, I believe it's time for me to go and do the chorus. I apologize for intruding—" fumbling with the words because I feel too self-conscious. 

I begin to walk away when his deep voice makes me halt on my track, "Emmy!?" I try to turn and look over my shoulder at him, but I still can't seem to look him in the eyes. What is it with me? "Sorry, gotta go," I mumble and embarrassed, I turn back and sprint out of the room. Not turning back at him once. 

I close the door behind me, lean against it and let out a sigh of relief before I absentmindedly walk away, still thinking of him and complaining about how I let myself be in the same room as him when I collide with someone. 

Mortified, I bow and apologize as I continue my steps, not knowing who I even collided with. I need to get away from here for now, at least. 

Working for two hours straight doesn't help me take my mind off my mate. Sebastian... perhaps I have been seeing him too often to realize he's actually kinda cute. 

Kinda? Oh, please! Rayne grins. 

I groan and then sigh. He is rude and doesn't talk much. Then out of nowhere, a hand grabs my wrist and roughly turns me so that I face this person. The grip gets tighter, and I groan when this person lets go. 

In the blink of an eye, I hear a loud smack.

With a slap, the impact leaves me shaken. I feel temporarily deaf, and my vision is blurred, filled with bright little dots, making me dizzy. I hear gasps from all corners, and it all feels very slo-mo. My skin feels stingy, and my palm feels itchy. It aches, and I bring my hand to my cheek. I blink my tears away, trying to register what just happened. 

"Slapped." I mumble incoherently when someone leans in and whispers, "Yeah, I slapped you. So stay away from him, you bitch! Stay away if you value your life."

Excuse me, what? The person turns around and walks away with heels clanging against the floor. I crouch down and press my hands to my ears to stop the buzzing noise and groan. Somebody else crouches down and holds me, and another calls out, "Emmy—" I sigh and lean onto them as they bring me back on my feet. I sense walking along with them with my eyes slightly shutting close as I continue to wonder what just happened, though.

***

"Oh, my! This has left a bruise." Ivory exclaims in horror. I tilt my head and grin when she comes close to place a bag of frozen peas against my cheek. "It'll feel better," she says reassuringly. I look at her and sigh as we lean against the kitchen counter. 

I press the bag against my cheek and ask, "So, did Jenna slap me for real?"

Ivory furrows her eyebrows and grunts, "Yeah." I'm going to kill that bitch. I narrow my eyes and clench my hands. I grit. She coughs up and continues, "Our pack is known for its brutality, but we don't tolerate violence among the members. And we definitely don't tolerate abuse of power."