Chapter 1: Six Years Later...

E M B E R 

"Let me help you with that, Landry," I call out after noticing a pack member with boxes that look quite heavy compared to his lanky figure. 

"Oh! No need, Alpha — " Taken aback, Landry gasps and politely protests in vain as I unburden him with those boxes. "It's okay! I don't mind it at all." 

I smile, and we walk into the kitchen with many wolves working. 

"Thank you, Alpha!" Landry says after I set the box down and wave a hand at him before I look around. I take note of every wolf working with sweats yet still smiling. "Everyone is working hard for the banquet, I see." 

Landry notes with a nod and clicks his tongue, "Yes, Alpha! The banquet is one of the ways to meet other packs, so everyone's morale is just so high." 

Yeah, it gives everyone an excuse to dress slutty and party. I grin. "That's good to hear." 

"Anyway, have you seen Dex?" I ask absentmindedly when someone snaps their fingers at my face. 

I blink and turn with a slight frown to see a man standing 5'9 with shaggy brown hair styled back and dark hazel eyes. He smiles at me. 

I click my tongue, "Ah, Lowe."

"Alpha!" he bows to greet me before we stay in silence. 

Do you have something to tell, Dex? I ask my Beta through the mind link. 

He locks eyes with me and sighs. It's a lovely morning, Alpha. How about we go for a round? We can talk then.

I give him a deadpan expression as he chirpily smiles. It's so annoying, yet I roll my eyes and grunt before I excuse myself from the kitchen, followed by my Beta. 

The two of us take a stroll in silence. I have my hands behind my back like an authority figure. Well, I am the authority figure — at the top as the Alpha of Crimson Shadow. The pack used to be called the Midnight Crew, but that night when the rage made me let Rayne out, I noticed how bloody red the moon looked, and I renamed it.

Hence, Crimson Shadow. 

My wolf, Rayne, a white wolf of about 10 feet in length and crimson-red eyes, greets back with an excited howl.

I take a deep breath and sigh at the pleasant sky. It's an ordinary summer morning. 

Chirpier and calmer than usual. 

I love the breeze cooling me down in this heat when a pack member looks over as she greets me with a pleasing smile, "Good morning, Alpha and Beta!" 

"Ah, yes! Good morning to you, too, Christie! Anyway, are the goods coming today?" I state as the lady beams at me, "They already did."

"I see." I click my tongue and nod. Dex and I then excuse ourselves and move on until I notice an elder outside her house.

"Excuse me, ma'am?" I rush to her as she looks over at me, "Oh, it's you, my dear little Alpha."

"I am not little anymore." I playfully pout as the elder nudges me and teases, "You will always be that adorable little girl for me, Alpha."

I smile and hold her hand, "Well, are you getting hot water now, Elder Eisha?"

She smacks her lips and pats my cheek, "Oh, of course, my persistently sweet Alpha, and thank you for even trying to fix it yourself." 

I tilt my head and place my hand over hers on my face as I beam.