Chapter 2: A Beautiful Intruder.

E M B E R

I slowly gain consciousness and groan with the bright sun rays falling on my face. I peel my eyes open and try to get used to the light before I sit up and look to see tall, skinny trees surrounding me. Before I can register what happened, a massive headache shoots up, and I feel slightly dizzy. 

What the — 

My hand brushes against my forehead, and I skim my skin only to bring my hand and notice blood. 

Dried. 

I frown. 

Did I cause myself an injury? 

I look around and then up at the bright sky with birds chirping merrily. 

How long have I been out? I force myself to recollect past events: from looking and running after that man, even infiltrating into a different territory, to that intoxicating scent. I suddenly gasp and cover my mouth with my eyes widening — Mate. 

Rayne makes her appearance by purring and jumping around. 

We have a mate. 

I stare at nothing and stay still, stunned. 

Isn't it good news? We finally have a mate. 

Wait a minute! I am in Midnight Hunters' territory. 

I let out another loud gasp. 

Fuck, how did I let myself come here? 

But what's more important is how I sensed my mate to be here. 

Could he be a prisoner? Then I can rescue him. 

Rayne purrs blushingly. 

But what if he belongs to this pack? In deep thought, I bite my lip and then chew my nail when something rustles. That brings me out of my reverie, and I snap my head to the side. 

I squint and try to focus, but before that, I must do something else. 

The Moon Goddess has always been generous toward me with my powers, so with this, I mask my scent to conceal my identity because we know what happens when a werewolf stumbles into this territory. 

I quickly get up and try not to let my fatigue and dizziness affect my rationality. However, the moment I turn and take a step, a loud voice stops me on my track and rumbles, "Oh, that — stop right there! You fucking trespasser!" making me flinch and Rayne growl.

Shit. We're caught.

C L A Y T O N

We have a rogue on our territory, one of the patrollers' mind-links to me.

Shit, not again.

I look and then march over toward the office. I knock on the door thrice and hear a familiar growl. Having an intruder in the territory isn't a big deal, and I don't really go to Seb for such trivial reasons yet, for some reason, I believe in asking his permission this time.

"What is it?" he barks the moment I step foot inside his office, noticing him working through the files I left him with early morning.

"Seb—" he growls, and I clear my throat, "I mean, Alpha, there is an intruder sighted on the western borders."

"Bring me the head." he dismisses me harshly.

I stare at him wide-eyed. "Yes, Alpha." with that, I let him be only to march out of the office.