Chapter 6: Our Mate.

S E B A S T I A N

Walking out of my study, I stop in my track when I sense a pair of eyes moving along with my body. I look up and turn only to lock eyes with striking blue eyes. I don't know if there is a say or not, but her eyes remind me of a storm full of rage, yet for some reason, I can feel the stillness and calmness in them. 

That's because she is our mate! 

I pass a deadpan stare at Duke, my wolf, who interrupted me. 

He guiltlessly beams and howls in excitement as we take in that sweet lavender scent she emits, blowing past my nose. To be honest, everything about her has been driving me crazy. Her eyes, her nose, her scent, and her lips — I wonder how it will feel to kiss those pink rosy full lips and how she will feel if I kiss her. 

Of course, she will be elated just like us, dude! 

Don't dude me. 

I roll my eyes.  

Ugh, stop thinking with your d*ck! For someone who has always been under control yet, in a few hours, has turned into an overly excited wolf losing all focus. 

Well done, Duke, well done!

Thanks! 

It wasn't a compliment. 

Suddenly I remember being embarrassed about how madly in love my parents were and how their sweet moments felt icky to me. Yet, despite living with them, I have never understood love, and this whole concept of mates sounds useless and uninteresting. 

Even on his deathbed, the last thing my dad said was that if I ever find her, I must treat her well and love her — but how does having a mate weigh importance with what I want? I don't know.

I mean, no offence to mom and dad, but living your whole life with just one person does sound a little bland. I mean, one must try different flavours of ice cream instead of only eating vanilla, right?

Anyway, I have no interest in anything except the power, dominance and status as the Alpha of my pack, Midnight Hunters'. I prefer to rule and make a name in the community than lead and find that perfect soulmate to support me by my side. Shutting off emotions and not playing the compassion card is better, don't you think? 

Of course, it is. 

What's to ask about? 

Everyone crawls in fear and trembles when somebody utters my name, and I have plans that require no wasting time and looking for someone who I don't even know looks like is pretty much a waste of time.

How can you say that, Seb? Aren't you glad that we finally found our mate? Duke fussily clamours. 

I snort and turn back to her

However, the momentary happiness subsides quickly when I see her scowl at me. And I can't help but smirk. 

From the moment she barged into my room yesterday evening, and no matter how tattered she looked, that wild glow in her eyes as she foolishly yet bravely challenged me, and with an undeniable tension in the air made me want to grab her to rub my scent off her and mark her immediately. 

Duke is excited by that thought already. 

See? No matter how much you want to deny it now, you are attracted to our mate, dude. 

I roll my eyes before they move and take her sight in. 

Her big, round curious eyes, her long blond hair tied up in a ponytail — it might sound corny, but werewolf or human, this girl is indeed beautiful — and her petite yet athletic body in a maid costume. 

She is annoyed and looks discomfort, which would have made me glad but now that I have seen her and how sexy she looks with that dress being small and too tight with the hems of her skirt reaching higher and showing the smoothness of her thighs, and how she is absentmindedly attracting attention from male and female wolves.

I clench my jaw, and Duke growls in possessiveness. Mate. 

Conflicted, I clench and let go of my fists for a few minutes while in eye contact with her because even though I don't want a mate, I can't help this feeling. 

Another feeling I get about her is that of suspicion. 

How come a human walked into our territory when every person knows what lies in these woods? 

Emmy! Duke purrs like a kitten, making me roll my eyes and grunt before I narrow my eyes. There is something fishy about you. You don't feel entirely human to me, as if you are pretending to be one. 

What is it that you might be possibly hiding? 

Who cares! 

I do. 

Ugh, we have our mate, and we should look forward to living a life with her instead of doubting her and rej—not accepting her sooner. 

I frown and raise my eyebrows when I watch her make a face at me, almost getting me to smile, and then struggle to carry the bucket in her hands on the stairs. 

I resist the urge to help her, much to Duke's irritation, who calls me out. 

What are you doing here? Go there! Help our mate out. 

I am thrilled she is here, but why are you making her work as a maid? Do you think you could do that kind of thing to our mate?

I don't know, but I need to know who she is. 

I sigh. 

Duke teasingly howls. Is that the only reason? Are you sure?

The policies clearly state that those who enter my territory don't get to leave easily, especially not alive. No one dared to leave, but she tried to. I also got pissed when she told me she would go. Before Duke can tease again, someone butts in and calls out, "Alpha?"

I turn to the side to look. 

One of the warriors, Toby, looks back at me in confusion.

I snap, "What is it?"

Toby lowers his head and then mumbles, "Alpha, shall we get going? Everybody else is waiting."

I slowly nod and turn my head back to have one last glance as I watch her disappear behind the walls at the top. Staring at her back, my subconscious exclaims a strange reason. I was taken aback when she suggested leaving, and with a pang in my heart, I didn't want her to. I knew I had to make her stay. 

I sigh under my breath. I don't know your reasons and how you ended up here, but if you don't reveal who you truly are and keep denying being my mate or even rejecting me, I will show you what you will miss. Maybe I can show you that a life with me is better than anything; without me, it is nothing. 

But still, no matter what, I can't believe I finally have a mate.

I turn around and take steps away from her with a faint smile covering my face, only to cough it up and maintain a stone face.