Chapter Seven

"Our favorite place." Hailey smiled as we unpacked our food. I took Hailey to Sonic; our favorite date place. "I knew you wanted some." I smiled and opened my straw, putting it in my cherry limeade slushy.

After getting our food, I drove down the street to a small park and we both got out. We walked over to a picnic table in front of a lake and sat down, taking out our food. I got a bacon double cheeseburger with mustard and jalapeños and French fries while Hailey got a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and mustard and onion rings.

She laid her head on my shoulder and bit into one of her onion rings. "Feeling ok?" I asked and she nodded. "Just happy." She hummed. I chuckled and kissed her forehead. We finished eating and threw our trash away while we sat at the picnic bench watching ducks swim in the water.

Hailey and Elliott drew on the driveway in chalk while I stood on the front porch with my mom. "Thanks for watching him for us." I looked at her. "It's no problem really Taur, you know I'll always watch Elliott for you."

I sat down on the black metal chair. "When does Hailey have to take her medicine?" "Every evening, she's going to do it before she goes to bed." Mom nodded. I felt her put her hand on my shoulder and I looked up at you. She smiled softly and I smiled back.

I turned to face Hailey as she took her first chemotherapy pill. She put her white tumbler down on her nightstand and turned off her bedside table, settling in the bed beside me. I laid my arm on her stomach and she scooted closer to me.

"I want to do something with Eli tomorrow." She whispered. "What? The zoo?" I asked her. I felt her nod. "Yeah, something fun. We haven't spent that much time with him since everything started." She sighed softly. I stroked her hip with my hand. "I think he'll love that."