Chapter Five

"Mama!" Elliott smiled when we walked into my mom's house. "Hi baby." Hailey picked him up and pressed kisses all over his face. He giggled and wrapped his arms around her neck.

"Hey Hailey." My mom smiled and hugged her as well. "Hey Stella." She put Elliott down and he didn't want to let go.

"Bud, I'm here. I'm not leaving." She chuckled. He giggled when Hailey put him down and he let go. "Mama come play!" He grabbed her hand and took her to his room.

I smiled and shook my head, sitting at the kitchen table with my mom. "It's cancer?" She asked and I nodded. "Anaplastic Astrocytoma." I bit my lip.

"When does she start?" My mom grabbed my hand. "Next week, they're going to do chemo and radiology." She nodded as I heard Elliott and Hailey singing.

"He's been asking about her all day." Mom smiled. "She's missed him too." I stood up, kissing the top of her head before going to Elliott's room. Him and Hailey were sitting on the floor playing with his magnetic tiles. I knocked gently on his door and they both looked up.

"Play daddy?" He asked and I nodded, walking in and sitting on the floor.

"Thanks nonna." Elliott smiled and started eating. My mom made Hailey's favorite; chicken parmigiana with spaghetti marinara. We all started eating with the occasional song from Elliott. When we all finished, Hailey and I put the food up and cleaned up.

"Is he sleeping?" I asked Hailey. She nodded and closed our bedroom door. She walked over to our bed and laid down beside me.

"I haven't been so happy to lay in our own bed in so long." She sighed happily and laid her head on my chest. I wrapped my arm around her and kissed the top of her head.

We laid in a comfortable silence, before we said our 'I love you's and good nights.