Chapter Four

*Week Later*

Hailey's parents came with us for the post-op appointment to find out what the results say. The nurse finished taking out Hailey's stitches and cleaned up. "The doctor will be in shortly." She smiled and left.

"What if it's bad?" Hailey looked between us. "Don't say that, it's going to be fine." Her mom smiled softly and patted her knee. Hailey sighed and held onto my hand tightly. There was a soft knock on the door and we all looked up as the doctor walked in.

"How's everyone doing?" He smiled and gave everyone a handshake. He sat down and logged into his computer. He made small talk with us before looking at us.

"Pathology looked at the sample we took and they said that it's a malignant tumor." As soon as he said that, I felt Hailey let go of my hand. Her soft sobs filled the room as the doctor looked at us sympathetically.

I stood up and made my way beside her. I wrapped my arms around her as she sobbed into my chest. "What type of tumor does she have?" Her mom asked softly.

"It's an Anaplastic Astrocytoma. It's a very aggressive stage three brain tumor." He chewed on his bottom lip. "What does that mean?" I asked him. He met my eyes and I felt my whole world come crashing down.

Hailey let go of my shirt and wiped at her eyes. "How much longer do I have?" "Well we don't know exactly. It could expand but if we start treatment right away it might keep it at bay." She nodded and looked at her mom and I.

"I would like to start treatment as soon as possible." The doctor nodded and started to explain her treatment plan.