27 - Happy Birthday

"Why are you sleeping here you silly girl?"

I heard a faint chuckle before feeling soft lips press against my temple. Fluttering my eyes open lazily I saw Miles looking down at me sleeping on the couch in the living room. Realizing I had ruined my own plan to surprise him on his birthday I removed the blanket off of my body to get up. Thinking again about it now, I had no idea from where that blanket had come from because I had no intention to sleep in the first place. I looked at the clock to see it was a little past eleven at night.

He had gotten later than I thought he'd be...

"What's all this?" The boy asked referring to our shared space being decorated with balloons and specifically pointing out to the cake on the coffee table in front of us.

"Ah I was supposed to surprise you with this when you came home since it's your birthday. I didn't mean to fall sleep..." I mumbled as my fingers fidgeted with each other, avoiding eye contact at all costs.

"I told you I'll be late so I didn't think you'd wait for me. I'm sorry for taking so long to come."

He crouched on the floor so his eyes would level with mine and I shook my head sideways to show my disapproval to what he said.

"Make a wish so you can cut the cake." I suggested and his smile widened, his eyes turning into slits as he sat beside me on the sofa.

I watched him close his eyes for a moment like he was praying before leaning forward to cut the cake with the knife I had already placed on the coffee table. After separating a slice from the rest he gawked in awe seeing the cake was his favourite red velvet flavor. With his beam not fading one bit he took the slice in hand and turned to me.

"First bite goes to the person who made this day much more special for me."

He announced and I giggled, nevertheless taking a bite out of the sweet delight in front of my mouth. The guy watched fondly when I took the piece of food from his hand and did the same thing as him, making the birthday boy get his first bite of the cake.

"Thank you for being born Miles. Happy Birthday."

Smiling from ear to ear Miles came closer so he could wrap his arms around my form, placing a kiss on my forehead before doing so.

"Can I tell you a secret?" He asked suddenly and I hummed as a response with him still hugging me tightly, wondering what it could be that he wanted to tell me. "My birthday is not until next week."

Huh???

"Do you really think I'd go out and celebrate my birthday without you? After all this time of not getting to do it?" He asked again with a chuckle at my shocked expression but I knew he wasn't expecting an answer from me to those questions.

"But then why didn't you tell me this before you cut the cake and all?"

"You did all this and even waited for me until late, I couldn't just say it's not my birthday. Would you say it if it was me who surprised you with something like this?"

"...No..."

"Exactly."

"Ahh I feel so stupid now." I hid my face in my hands, embarrassed of my stupid yet major mistake.

How could I get his birthday wrong??

Why birthday of all things???

"Hey Summer c'mon, I'm not mad. Honestly I found it very cute." He tried to reassure me and peel off my hands so he could see my face but I didn't budge, not knowing how to face him.

Suddenly I felt a shiver run down my spine at how Miles' lips connected on the sensitive skin of my neck for a moment, just a bit below my ear. He had never kissed there before so it took me by enough surprise to remove my hands from my face, not exactly realizing it was fire truck red.

"There you are."

He quickly caught my hands in his before I could cover my features again and leaned in to this time slowly kiss me on the lips. To my ecstasy, the kiss lasted longer and got deeper before he finally pulled away but kept our foreheads still connected. I opened my eyes to stare into his two that were already focused on mine.

"Don't ever hide away from me."

With that another quick peck was placed on the corner of my lips, making it impossible for me to not smile.

"Now I should make some contribution to finish the cake. It's a big task to do by yourself so I'll just help you out this time." He said slyly making me laugh out loud, happy that he was enjoying what I did for him.

I was anxious thinking if I had made a mistake while making the cake but seeing his reaction to it without him knowing it was homemade caused a flutter of pride inside me. He kept emitting little noises of excitement as he ate another slice bigger as the first one, occasionally bouncing his legs in tiny like a little boy.

"You don't have to eat it all tonight you know." I reminded in a fake stern voice but it didn't seem like he cared about it.

"I don't have to but I'm too immersed to stop eating."

"At least eat more slowly, you'll choke at this point."

I laughed and got up to get a glass of water from the kitchen to see he had finally been able to back away from the cake after eating 3 slices in total.

"Best birthday ever!" Miles exclaimed seeing me sitting on the couch again before placing the glass on the coffee table.

"Shut up it's not even your real birthday."

"So what? If you say today is my birthday, then today is my birthday I don't care what anyone else says. Plus, what harm it is to have two birthdays, more cake!"

[A/N]
Sorry I couldn't update yesterday, I wasn't feeling well. A bit of a boring chapter but I hope you enjoyed!