18 - Please Say Something

It was late afternoon when I finally got home from school and I was a bit taken back from the uncommon sight of mom already back from work. It seemed that she had taken an early leave but I made my way to my room without making any comment about anything, knowing the time we used to have pleasant chitchats is long gone. It was only after I changed into comfortable clothes and passed the living room to get to the kitchen that I heard mom speak.

"Your teacher told me you fainted today."

"Uh... yeah."

"Are you okay now?" Her words made me look up at her form sitting on the couch, reading something with her glasses on and not bothering to look my way. My heart warmed up at the sudden care and I almost felt happy, at least until the woman showed her true motives behind it. "You can't take good grades if you're sick."

Of course.

What was I even expecting?

It's been ages since she actually cared about me other than as a tool for her to show off to everyone else. It hurt a lot to have such a damaged relationship with the person you should've been closest with, but for some unfortunate reason, it was what my fate had in for me. I wasn't brave enough to stand up for myself and my likes all this time, causing me to end up as a puppet in my mom's hand.

Keeping the thoughts to myself I heaved a deep sigh and silently made my way to the kitchen to get on with my late lunch, picking the first packet of biscuits I could get my eyes on since my intention to eat a healthy meal was ruined because of the earlier few seconds. I was glad when there were no more exchange of words between me and mom while I went back to my room to lock myself in as usual. Throwing the packet in hand on the bed I got my phone and got on the mattress, suddenly getting reminded of the note from Miles.

I quickly found it in my uniform pocket, staring at the number as I walked back to my bed and laying down on it. I was debating whether or not I should leave a text but considering one text wouldn't hurt, I typed the number into my phone. Not knowing if it was a good idea to save it since there was a risk of getting caught by mom, I left the contact number as it is and sent the first message while my heart was beating rapidly.

Hey I'm Summer. I'm leaving this msg to let you know that I'm okay. Thank you for earlier -

A reply came almost immediately. It seemed like he was waiting for my message and the thought made me smile widely to myself.

- Oh hi! I'm super glad you're alright. I was so scared when you suddenly passed out

Nova told me you were so worried. I'm really sorry about that but now I'm okay😊 -

- You should take care of yourself more you know. It's fine now take lots and lots of rest ok?

Thanks again -

- My pleasure❤

I stared at the red emoji as my heart fluttered. I felt stupid for feeling so happy over something so little but considering that it was coming from the person I like was enough for me to go all soft. However my happiness came to a halt at his next text, reality striking me immediately.

- So... will you be deleting my number?

I guess so -

I don't know -

Of course I wanted to keep in contact with him however I could since there really was no telling when or if we'd be able to meet again but at the same time I was scared of mom finding out about Miles and it could make things so much worse in every possible way. It was a scary thought.

- At least you have it with you now so that's a win ig

- I hope we can meet again somehow though. I didn't even get to talk to you properly today

I hope so too... -

- Oh my

- You have no idea how happy that made me right now

- I never got the chance to say this in person but...

- I like you Summer. I mean, I really really like you

I couldn't help but widen my eyes at the confession I received at a very unexpected time. I felt myself blushing as I kept staring at the screen of my phone, wanting to dance around the house in pure joy. I always thought I'd move on from this crush in no time like I had done when I first had a thing on my new neighbor but everytime something new happened with Miles, the butterflies only grew stronger and stronger to the point I knew would make it mega hard for me to get over the guy in the end. Yet here I am right now facing something I had only dreamed about, smiling and squealing in the lowest volume possible to make sure I wouldn't get caught by the woman in the living room. Maybe, just maybe, good things really do happen to me.

- You there?

- Helloo?

- Please say something :')

Yea yea I'm here. I was just kinda surprised -

- I'm so happy I got to say it finally. I was going to say it on the last day but then Mrs. Moore came and today the prefect🙂💔

I have to go now. My mom will be here soon to see if I'm studying -

- Oh okay sure. So I guess this is goodbye for now?

Well... I thought of keeping the number -

- But what if it gets you in trouble? I don't want that to happen bcuz of me

I'll cross that bridge if I get there so don't worry -

- I hope nothing goes wrong

- See you later then❤

And another thing -

- Yup?

I like you too Miles -

[A/N]
I'm officially announcing that this will end in 30 chapters (in total)