07 - Priority Number One

"How am I suppose to pass this day!!" I cried out in frustration while we, as in Nova and I, sat on the bench at the corner of the school garden during the mid-morning recess.

It was Monday again and mom had informed me that I won't be able to attend the math class today because she's going on a business trip and so there won't be anyone to pick me up when the class ends. My father comes home very late so he was not an option at all. Mom also said that the teacher agreed to let me do the test the next week, the paper which she told us about in the previous week. Doing the paper was the last one of my worries honestly. My mind was wondering how to pass this day without getting to see him after all this time of getting used to it. Fortunately mother allowed me to have Nova come over to our place until she comes home from the business trip tonight.

"You seriously cannot be this upset about not seeing a guy. You didn't look this much worried even when you accidentally dropped your KFC meal tray on the floor. And that was food Summer, FOOD!! Do you really care about a guy more than food?!" Nova dramatically made her eyes wider, causing me roll my eyes at this drama queen.

"You haven't had a crush okay, don't judge me." I crossed my arms across my chest to narrow my eyes at her.

"Oh please honey, I fall in love five times a day everyday and if I ever make a priority list with all my crushes and you, you won't even make the top hundred." She said being sassy as ever, batting her eyelids to add to the effect.

"What about food?"

"How is that even aㅡ Of course it's my priority number one!"

"Oh wow so even food beats me." I frowned.

"This Miles guy beats food in your priority list so why can't it beat you in mine?" She snapped.

"You're the worst best friend ever!" I started whining at how Nova had a reply to every single thing I said. "You're supposed to be helping me on this, not diss me!!"

"First of all thank you," she paused to throw a wink at me, "and second, what the heck am I supposed to do to help you?"

"I don't know, maybe say something that will cheer me up?" I suggested.

"Something that will cheer me up." She repeated.

"No that's not what Iㅡ Urgh you!!"

"Me." She sent another sneaky wink.

Having a best friend can really take you to a new level of patience that you didn't know existed. Talking about me and Nova, it's basically a love-hate relationship, everyday filled with testing new methods on each other to find out how the other one's patience has improved since the day before.

It's just two people creating new definitions for utter chaos, if you didn't still get what I was trying to say.

Despite how much we come at each other for the most stupid reasons, there are times that we come in handy too. Like when after school Nova came to our house to keep me company until my mom got home.

"So what do you wanㅡ"

"I'm gonna raid the fridge." Nova cut me off as soon as we entered through the front door, dropping her bags on the floor and happily skipping to the kitchen. Believe me when I tell you that not even two seconds passed since we got here.

I smiled to myself and collected her bag from the floor to place it on the sofa in the living room. I plopped myself down next to it and got the remote from the TV stand to turn it on, looking for a movie for us to watch while we pass time. Our life slogan was something like 'laugh now cry later' so it was common tradition for us to watch a movie first before we moved onto the sad part of being a student, homework and assignments.

Hearing the sound of munching chips I looked to my left to see my best friend coming back from the kitchen and my immediate words were, "You gotta be kidding me." It was evident she didn't have any mercy on her mission. "Yah aren't you going to leave some food for us, as in the owners of the house and of course the fridge?"

"Probably not." She said nonchalantly and sat beside me on the sofa, continuing to empty the bag of chips after settling down the other snacks on the floor. I stared at her to see if she would at least pretend to be a bit sorry but nope, that was one heck of a poker face.

Like I said, having a best friend takes you to a new level of patience that you didn't know you had.

It was after more than an hour passed we finally ended up picking a horror movie to watch with no romance involved whatsoever as per Nova's preferences. I was so sure we skipped more than twenty movies before finding the perfect one, each time fighting over to shut up and watch it instead of skipping again. Everytime the movie hinted at a couple or a crush she said she wanted to watch another movie and that she had seen the current one already, when I clearly knew she hadn't, seeing her reactions when the film first started.

Her method of making me forget about the math class and Miles were really weird but the silliness itself was her strategy and it worked perfectly. It was when I got to bed at night I realized that the whole day I had been thinking about how Nova was being so ridiculous and I had completely forgotten about Miles. She really was something else.

Finally I had gotten through the day thanks to Nova and all I had to do was spend the rest of the week normally until next Monday, hopefully to meet Miles after two weeks. Having a crush on someone sure is hard.

[A/N]
I was really proud of this chapter until I read it from start to end and realized it was a filler :')

Nova is inspired by my actual bestfriend btw