10 - Say Goodbye

"Would you mind explaining this?" As soon as I stepped inside the house after coming from school my mom's voice boomed, her hand slapping something on the table with perceivable fury.

My report card is home I guess...

I silently stood in front of her after placing my bag on the sofa for a moment, my head hung low and getting ready for the earful I was about to get.

"What was your last term math score?"

"Ninety six."

"And this time?"

"NinㅡNinety." I stuttered.

"You scored less than last time when you should be increasing it?? You should've gotten hundreds from the beginning but I let you off the hook for a little while and you dare to slack off?"

"Mom it's not like that I did study, I really did! Everyone agreed that the test was too hard Iㅡ"

"No test is 'too hard' if you prepare well. Can't you work a little harder??"

I couldn't believe my ears. I had already been working so hard to the point I barely survived the day without passing out from exhaustion and yet she wanted me to work harder? I didn't know what I had done for my own mother to pressure me like that but what I did know was that the stress was becoming a little too much for me to handle. Some said that having such a 'caring' mom was something I should be thankful for but for me, it was a total nightmare. I knew I had turned into a ticking time bomb because of her but I didn't know exactly when I was gonna explode. There was no doubt that the day was getting nearer though.

"I cannot believe this is how you repay us after all we've done for you. We spend our hard earned money on you and you aren't even trying to pay it back."

She started the same old story that she always used to guilt trip me since I was little, throwing in a few fake tears as well this time for a change. I was used to the act since a while now and wasn't fazed by it but what she said next shattered my heart.

"This isn't gonna work. That math class is no good for you and you must change it immediately. Next week will be the last day you're gonna go to that place and then I'll register you to a new one."

"Mom no!! I'll... I'll work harder and score better next time I promise! Iㅡ" I was once again silenced before I spoke what I really wanted to say.

"Why are you being so dramatic? You're just going to stop the class, what's there to fuss about?" She narrowed her eyes at me suspiciously, the fear it evoked causing me to spill some words that caused me to dig my own grave.

"Because I made a friend and I like it there!" It was after I blurted it out I realized how foolish of me to close the door of opportunity myself, regretting it big time.

"Friend? You made a 'friend'?" Mother repeated in a mocking tone before continuing. "Summer Everly I registered you to that class to learn and get your scores up not make friends! Now it doesn't matter anyway because you're still gonna change the class and you can say goodbye to your 'friend' next week."

"But momㅡ"

"You don't get a say in this Summer. You're changing the class and that is it. This conversation is over." She declared and went away with my report card in hand, not allowing me to speak about what I actually wanted for myself.

I ran upstairs to my bedroom as my vision got blurrier by the second with the tears welling up in my eyes. I locked the door close and plopped down on the bed with a sob I didn't try to restrain now that I was in my safe place. I didn't know the exact reason for me to start crying but all I needed was to just cry until my eyes were puffy and red. I couldn't be sure if it was because mom screamed at me yet again while not caring to validate my feelings and opinion completely or because I was gonna stop the class and not see Miles anymore, the first ever friend I had made in the class and had gotten so close as well.

Wiping my tear stained cheeks with the back of my palm I went over to my desk and opened the drawer with the key to take out the journal I kept to record special things every once in a while. I sat down on the bed again and opened it to the page I had stuck a little note written on a light blue colored paper, my lips curling upwards into a smile at the sight of it.

Thank you for lending me the book to complete my notes, it helped a lot♡

P.S. - My mom saw your book accidentally and told me to work on MY handwriting yk :')

The note was stuck on the first page of my math writing book when Miles returned it to me the other day and of course I couldn't throw it away so I kept it with me every since.

At this point there was no use of playing dumb about anything. I had fallen him since the very beginning and now after several months of nothing but oozing sweetness, I wasn't sure if it was simple and playful anymore. Nonetheless I was once again being pulled back by my mother from something that made me happy, something that helped me escape reality for at least a few precious moments.

Would next week really be my last chance?

[A/N]
I just wish we could have skip, pause and rewind options in life so we could relive our fondest days and skip the sad ones