08 - I Need Some Notes? I Think?

"If there's anything I'm learning from this exercise is that the guy who made these questions are nuts. I mean, look at question twelve. Anybody who solved the twelfth question?"

It was Alex's voice yet again for the fourth time, whining about the activity we were assigned to do. He looked around scanning our faces to see if we had the answer to his problem but unfortunately none of us did. Everyone was super confused about the question number twelve, having been stuck on that for almost fifteen minutes in general.

"Could you find it?" Miles turned to me from his desk in front looking so hopeful but all I could do was shake my head sideways. With a pout he faced his book again, to give it another shot at solving the problem.

"I found it I found it I found it!!!" Alex exclaimed suddenly and just before I looked at him I heard a gasp coming out of Miles' lips as his eyes were still fixated on the problem, indicating he had found a way to answer the question too. Alex turned to us girls who were still confused and gave us an arrogant smirk. "Come here you peasants, I'll teach you how to solve this monster problem." He said making us roll our eyes jokingly.

"Hey I found it too!" Miles faced me and announced, reminding me of a little boy getting overexcited to show the new toy he had received to his friends.

"I still can't figure it out. I'm stuck on theㅡ"

"That's why I'm teaching you so listen!!"

Alex cut me off and tapped on my book with his pencil, getting my attention onto him and his explanation again. I saw Miles' face crumpled at the interruption but he didn't say anything, limiting himself to narrow his eyes at the boy who was now explaining to the rest of the students how he got the answer to question number twelve.

"There. Got it?" He finally finished his task, shedding some light on the steps to solve the problem.

We all thanked him and got on with writing the answer on our books and after a few more minutes, we were all done with our assigned work. The teacher had been called to the office by the head of the institute and since she hadn't returned yet, everyone started talking among themselves. Kate turned to Anna while Alex and Charles were already in a conversation and I was left to scribble on my notebook.

"Oh Suㅡ"

"Summer I need some help!" Miles cut off Alex midway when he was about to ask something, giving him no space to talk. Alex frowned and faced away from me, causing the other guy to flash a proud smile before speaking up again.

"Yeah?"

"Huh?" He seemed confused though, making me chuckle at his cuteness.

"You said you wanted some help."

"Oh yeah yeah I did say that uh..." He scratched his nape awkwardly, a nervous laugh escaping his lips. "I uh... Can I borrow your math book? I need some notes? I think?" He trailed off at the last part, almost as if he wasn't really sure what he wanted.

"You weren't absent recently though right?"

"Ah well... I need it to see if my notes are complete you know. I have an exam coming up and my school math book was... lost? Yeah yeah it was lost. So this one is all I have now to revise so I want to see if my notes are complete." He said.

"Okay then. Remind me after the class, I'll give you my book."

I agreed with another chuckle and he gave me a thumbs up, smiling from ear to ear probably thinking I didn't feel anything odd about his obvious lie. We were close enough for me to know he always stuttered and talked more in questions than sentences when he was lying, just like how he had done a while ago. My exams were already done so I wasn't going to need my math book anyway, since there were no homework given either.

"Quiet kids! Are you all done with the activity I gave you?" The teacher's voice boomed across the room suddenly as she marched to the front of the class with the photocopied tests in hand. We all gulped at the tall pile but kept our thoughts to ourselves, the teacher paying no attention to that and moving on with correcting the answers.

After an hour or so the class was dismissed and everyone gathered their stuff to run out the door, sunlight already disappearing to the darkness. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I looked up before I zipped my bag shut to see Miles with his hand stretched out with a wide smile.

"Ohh sorry I kinda forgot." I apologized and handed my math book to him.

"No no it's totally fine." He reassured and went through a couple of pages of the book.

"You can at least read my handwriting right?" I asked nervously, seeing my own handwriting and suddenly realizing how bad they were.

"If someone can't read this, I think they have gotta be blind. You cannot possibly thinking you're handwriting is bad though?" He cocked an eyebrow at me, a little shocked expression on his face.

That's what my mom says...

"Well..." I trailed off without giving a proper answer.

"You've got to be kidding me. These letters are gorgeous, how much more pretty you want them to be??" He put the book carefully into his bag and I let out a nervous laugh. "Trust me Summer, there's nothing wrong with your handwriting so don't worry. And I promise I'll bring this back next week." He swung his backpack onto one shoulder and we both went to our usual spot on the balcony.

Anna's mother was also running late that day so she was also there with us. I I didn't know exactly why but it was a little bit awkward with Anna there that Miles and I barely talked. Other days we would be chatting along to whatever topic that came up until my mom or his Uber was there to pick us up but it was just a long awkward silence. I thought it was because that we wasn't that close with Anna and it felt rude to talk among ourselves while she was there.

After about twenty minutes of waiting my mom showed up and I waved bye to both Miles and Anna before I went down the stairs to join her. We started walking towards the main road silently, me already looking forward to next Monday to come to the class again.

[A/N]
Someone tell me a way to fall asleep please T_T