01 - Just a New Student

"Oh god Mrs. Moore is gonna kill me again!"

I screamed to my empty room while checking the time on the clock, hastily stuffing my bag with the math books needed for the tuition class. I heard the car honk for the third time signaling me to hurry up that almost made me trip as I was running down the stairs. Once I checked if I got everything in the bag for the one last time before stepping out of the house, I got the keys and locked the front door. Mom and dad always came home a whole lot later so it was my Monday afternoon routine to lock the door before going to the math class. I heard the driver release a sigh as I got in the vehicle.

"Your teacher is not gonna be happy." He said and started to drive to the place where I was supposed to be half an hour ago.

"I know I know but it's not my fault that I get late when coming home from school. I don't even have time to change my uniform to something casual." I frowned.

"Yes yes I was just saying." He reassured and continued to drive to the class as fast as the law allowed.

"Your mom will come pick you up alright?" He said before I got off at the class ten minutes later and I nodded and gave a thumbs up while closing the door, and climbed the stairs to the second floor to where the class was held. I was sweating and panting when I pushed the door open, interrupting Mrs. Moore's lesson on trigonometry. The driver was right. She was not happy.

"So you did show up." She said in a sarcastic voice, her hands placed on her hips giving me that look which teachers always give you in school or anywhere they see you honestly.

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Moore the traffic was terrible and you know my school is far." I reasoned.

"Ten to fifteen minutes I can overlook Summer but forty? You're gonna miss the entire lesson if this goes on."

"I'm sorry." It was all I could say while I stood at the door staring at the floor like I had done something terribly horribly wrong.

"Just sit down next to Anna, I'll explain the lesson again but please try to come early next time."

"Yes Mrs. Moore."

I obeyed her words and started to walk towards the place she had pointed out, halting in my tracks at the unfamiliar figure staring at me with a pleasant smile. It was a new student sitting beside Anna, on the opposite side of where I was going to sit. He looked tall and fair, the chocolate-brown locks giving his looks a bonus point. His lips had curled into a warm and friendly smile, directed right at me from over his shoulder.

"Summer? Will you please sit down so we can continue?"

The teacher's voice made me snap out of it and quickly go to my chair, taking out the books and pens once I was seated as comfortably the chair allowed me to be. She went on about the lesson from the top so I could catch up with the others while I listened carefully, opening my text book to the page in which she gave us an activity to do after.

Not going to lie, I kept sneaking glances of the new student, whose name was Miles as I got to know because the teacher called him to answer a question one time, something I had done only once before back in 7th grade when I had a crush for the very first time on a guy that moved into my neighborhood. I wasn't sure if anyone could have a 'crush-at-first-sight' but if not, I knew I was going to be the first to change that today. It was that simple.

After the class dragged on for another hour and a half, it finally came to an end. I collected my stuff and we all greeted the teacher as she left to go to the office downstairs with her teaching material in hand. Alex waved at Miles before he left and Anna simply said bye. Soon, only Miles and I were left and we both stepped towards the balcony, looking over at the road and waiting in silence.

"Is anyone coming to pick you up?" Suddenly he asked, lifting his head up to send a quick friendly smile while tapping away into his phone.

"Yeah my mom. You?"

"Uber." He said shortly, turning his phone screen towards me to see the uber map. "So what's your school?"

"West Eagles." I pointed at my uniform to which he chuckled along with nod. "Are you gonna tell me yours?" I was hoping to initiate a small talk with him, despite how I sucked at them ever since I could remember.

"Ever heard of Sir Fredrick's?"

"Wait really? I pass by your school every single day to go to ours!" I exclaimed with wide eyes as he seemed a little surprised too at the coincidence and chuckled. I noticed how his eyes turned into little slits when he smiled widely. My laughter was short lived when I caught a glimpse of my mom's figure down the road coming to pick me up. "I gotta go, my mom's here." I said hastily before turning to leave.

"Will you come next week?"

"I will. See you!" I slightly waved at him getting the same gesture back before I stepped down the stairs to cross the road and join mom.

"Who was that boy?" She asked eyeing Miles still on the balcony looking at his phone.

"Just a new student in our class." I muttered lowly and focused on the road. I noticed how mom kept looking at me suspiciously for sometimes before shrugging and continuing her steps towards the bus stop.

[A/N]
I have to warn you this is gonna have a LOT of cheesy moments. Why? Because when I first wrote this I had 0 idea on what I'm doing and was watching at least 50 kdramas so yeah, you get what I mean. Anyways enjoy!