~ 2 - The party ~

Sounds of loud music, screams and cheers filled my ears as I stepped into the house. A crowd of dancers spread out across the middle of the room, and groups of people drinking and talking littered the edges. I scanned the party, searching for Lola, and eventually spotted her stood at the bar, talking to Josh.
"Follow me." I said, grabbing Max's arm and dragging him towards the bar. Max was the 'date' I had brought along with me. He was my brother's best friend, I'd only brought him because I wanted to please Lola. And let's be clear, I definitely do not like him.

"Kai!" Lola embraced me in a warm hug, which I welcomed happily. "You're here. And you brought..?" She looked Max up and down.
"This is Max."
"Ah." Lola nodded slowly. "Nice to meet you, Max." Lola held out her hand and Max shook it.
"You too." Max replied, then turns to Josh. "Can I use your bathroom?"
"Of course, I'll show you where it is." Josh heads off into the house, Max following him.

Lola turns to me. "So, Max?"
"He's my brother's friend." I said. Lola raised her eyebrows. "He was the only person I could find so last minute." I lied.
"Really? So how come there are loads of single guys here?" Lola can always tell when I'm lying. I'm just hoping she doesn't know what the truth is.
"I'm just not ready to date yet, Lola."
"You keep saying that."
"It's only been a week!"
"How long do you need?"
"I don't know. As long as it takes to get over him I guess."
"Ok, I understand." She hesitates. "How about a fling?" I rolled my eyes, she was never gonna drop this.

♥︎♡︎♥︎

I sat on the sofa by the side of the dance floor, a glass in my hand. I'm not sure exactly what was in that glass, but it was definitely alcoholic. I watched as Lola danced with Josh, her head on his shoulder. I had no idea where Max was, probably hooking up with some other girl, but like I cared. All I could think about was Lola, and how I wished it was my shoulder she was resting her head on, and me with my arms around my waist.

My daydream was interrupted when a random guy sat down beside me. He seemed not to notice I was even there. He was the kind of guy most girls would love to have sit next to them; dreamy eyes, gorgeous face and perfect hair. Most girls. But not me.

He sat and looked off into the distance for a few minutes before realizing I was there.
"Oh, hi there." He had an amazing scottish accent, which I knew most girls would die for.
"Hey." I replied.
"Sorry, I didn't see you." He casually lent back and rested his feet on the coffee table.
"That's ok." I said, trying not to seem too interested, I really didn't have the energy to talk to this guy.
"So, are you with anyone?"
"No, and I'd like to keep it that way." I informed him, and he smirked.
"What's your name?"
"Kai." I responded, unsure of where this conversation was going.
"Well, Kai, I think it's highly unlikely that you'll be walking home alone tonight with a gorgeous face like that." He smiled, and I stared back at him, shocked. "What? No-one's ever told you how beautiful you are?"
"Well- I don't even know you."
"The name's Wyatt." He held out his hand and look down at it, then back at his face. "You're supposed to shake it." He prompted. I sighed and reluctantly shook his hand. "And you've just agreed to come back to mine tonight."
"What!?" I hated this guy already.
"I'm joking!" Wyatt sniggered and turned to look at the crowd.
"It's not funny!" I rolled my eyes and looked back to where Lola had been, but she was gone. Wyatt must've seen my eyes searching the room.
"Who are you looking for?"
"None of your business."
"A boyfriend? A crush? An ex?" He prodded. I ignored him. "Well who?"
"Just, a friend." I spotted Lola and Josh on the far side of the dance floor and stood up to walk over to her.
"Hey, don't leave me!"
"Find some other girl to hit on." I turned sharply away and started making my way through the crowd.

♥︎♡︎♥︎

I cannot describe the immense pain I felt approaching Lola and Josh, and seeing him stick his tongue down her throat, but I have some self a control, so I greeted them as if nothing was wrong.
"Kai! Where have you been?"
"Oh, just chilling."
"Alone?"
"Uhh," I hesitated. If I told her I was with Wyatt, she'd accuse me of liking him, but if I told her I was alone, she'd tell me I need to find a date. Which was worse? "I wasn't alone-"
"Ha! I knew it. You were with a guy?" She knew the answer just by looking at me. "You were! You were with a guy!" She announced triumphantly.
"Yes, I was. But we were just talking. He was quite annoying actually-"
"Whatever! What's his name?
"Wyatt."
"I said what's his name?"
"That's his name. Wyatt. W-Y-A-T-T. Wyatt."
"Oh." Lola turns to Josh. "You invite anyone called Wyatt?"
"Yeah, and he's very popular with the girls." Josh informed her. Lola nodded approvingly at me.
"Good job." She looked too happy about this. I sighed. I knew there was no way I could convince her that there was nothing between me and Wyatt. "I'm gonna go get a drink, you want one?" She asked.
"I've already got one." I signalled to the glass in my hand.
"Cya later then! Have fun with Wyatt." Lola winked and waved me goodbye, then her and Josh headed off into the crowd. I took a sip of my drink and watched Lola walking away.

♥︎♡︎♥︎

"Unrequited love?" Came a familiar voice from behind me. I'd given up with lusting after Lola and had taken to the steps leading up to Josh's house. I turned my head to see Wyatt standing in the doorway. Scowling, I looked back onto the driveway. Wyatt didn't take the hint, and came and sat down next to me. "I know exactly how you feel."
"And how exactly do I feel?"
"Sad, lonely, as if no-one cares."
"You have me nailed." I finished the last of my drink and set the glass down on the step next to me. We sat in silence for a moment, staring straight ahead.
"If you like him, you should tell him."
"Huh?"
"Josh." Oh, so he thought I liked Josh. "That's who you like, right?" I pondered whether to agree with him or tell him that it was in fact not Josh I liked, but Lola. For some reason, I choose the truth.
"Not Josh."
"But-" He stopped, realizing what I meant. "Lola? You like Lola?" I nodded slowly, trying to hold back the tears forming in my eyes.
"You have good taste." Wyatt said, and I couldn't help but smile through the tears.
Wyatt smiled too, then inched closer and put an arm around me. I didn't question it.