We Could Be Friends,I Guess?

Not proofread.

Happy reading :)

There's a pause in my steps when I hear a suspiciously familiar voice, surprised.

"Have a good day! Bye",Waves Ananya at her brother,who only smiles,nodding his head,as he stands there watching her zoom past the gate in her car,out of sight.

I didn't know why I did what I did next,but my steps became hurried, hoping Nikhil didn't see me.

I sigh when I was almost in safe zone, cursing myself when I look into the glass beside the entrance to see Nikhil looking up in surprise at the exact same time.

Our eyes meet in the mirror. I groan,turning around,"Hey",I give him a small smile,my lips thin.

"Hi",he smiles,"I joined as an SR",Nihkil fills me up.

I give him an awkward smile.

What the heck should I say.

Yeah. I know. Anshu and I gossipped about you.

Or act surprised.

I bypass both the statements."First day?",I ask.

"Yeah. It is",he says, hanging his apron on his forearm.

Why do guys look so attractive when something hangs off their forearm?

"Have a nice day",I grimace at the wish,"Um. I'll see you around."

"Sure",he smiles, walking in the opposite direction.

Phewing in relief,I enter the hospital.

There's something odd about conversing with someone that you know likes you, especially when it's not reciprocated.

But as I take the stairs,I couldn't help let my thoughts wander to Nikhil.

Even though Anshu claims that Nikhil likes me, his feelings don't exactly reflect in his behaviour. Heck,he doesn't even acknowledge he as his once-upon-a-time-good-friend, making it odd for me believe that he likes me.

It's just me that makes things awkward, avoiding him.

I run a hand across my pendant as a thought crosses my mind.

Even though Dhruv affects me,I have enough hold on myself to know that I don't like him like that, even though people around me perceive it in that manner. I even had to explain Anshu of what was going on in my mind. So if my views on Dhruv could change with time, wasn't it foolish of me to think that Nikhil is still stuck on me.

Granted that Anshu thinks Nikhil likes me because of what he said to Avyukth. But what if they were reading too much in between the lines?

What if Nikhil is affected by me too,but doesn't like me?And he said something similar to Avyukth which he might have misinterpreted?

As I near the ward,I come to the most logical conclusion.

Why else would any guy refuse to marry the girl he likes?

"Ma'am?",I hear nurse Savitha walk towards me,"These are the lab reports of the patient in bed no. 12." She hands me a file

I shake my head off all thoughts, concentrating on my patients.

****

I was never so grateful that doctors had odd lunch hours/break hours.

I have a particular break time. But that's not the point.