Running For Miles | ✓

By Gemma_Grace_

Eden Rivers is the new girl, she transferred from Pennsylvania in the middle of the year, on the run from an... More

Running For Miles
Characters
Prologue
01 ➳ Meeting Lila
02 ➳ New Girl
03 ➳ My Personal Bully
04 ➳ Your Fly's Undone
05 ➳ Tater Tots
06 ➳ Emotionless Player
07 ➳ Are You Stoned?
08 ➳ Few Screws Lose
09 ➳ You're All Pathetic
10 ➳ Loneliness And Anxiety
11 ➳ It's A Drug Thing
12 ➳ Lila Fucking Hayes
13 ➳ Jump Off Of A Cliff
14 ➳ I'm Just Fucked Up
15 ➳ Drugs Are Bad
16 ➳ Rich People
17 ➳ My Old Friend Molly
18 ➳ In A Friend Way
19 ➳ Lila's Almost Doppelganger
20 ➳ As In Lakyn Westbrook?
21 ➳ Option Two
22 ➳ The Comedown
23 ➳ The Party
24 ➳ The Rooftop
25 ➳ Arden Roson
26 ➳ Sorry Dad
27 ➳ New Haven
28 ➳ Pinky Promise
29 ➳ Trauma
30 ➳ I Love You Too
31 ➳ Hard, Meaningless, Sex
32 ➳ Kian Karrington
33 ➳ I Don't Do Relationships
34 ➳ This Taste's Like Shit
35 ➳ Feelings Are Overrated
36 ➳ Eden Likes Hale?
37 ➳ Until Lila Hayes
38 ➳ Baby Steps
39 ➳ You Looked Pretty Too
40 ➳ Until Miles Hale
41 ➳ Four Different Blood Types
42 ➳ Suck Him Off
43 ➳ Enemies With Benefits
44 ➳ I Love You
45 ➳ Lila's Story
46 ➳ Beautiful Ghost
47 ➳ Boys Can Cry Too
48 ➳ He's Broken
49 ➳ That Wasnt Sex
50 ➳ Bye Mom
51 ➳ Found You
52 ➳ Bit Fuckin' Weird
53 ➳ The Kian Thing
54 ➳ Forever And Always
55 ➳ I Would Punch Hale
56 ➳ Are You Two Fucking High?
57 ➳ Forever And Ever
58 ➳ Incest
59 ➳ Goodbye
60 ➳ Truman, Kian and Blaire
61 ➳ Lakyn or Boston
62 ➳ Let's Play A Game
63 ➳ I Killed Arden Rosen
64 ➳ They Will Never Find Him
65 ➳ Get Off Me
66 ➳ Blood, Tears, And Heartbreak
67 ➳ I Deserved Hale
68 ➳ What Did You Do?
69 ➳ Beautiful and Damaged
70 ➳ It's Just Us Now

Epilogue

12.7K 217 257
By Gemma_Grace_

RUNNING
FOR MILES

The sound of crashing waves and the hot sun had my new normal, instead of the gloomy and overcast weather at Dayton Lakes. All though I miss the cold weather I've fallen head over heels with the warm weather and palm trees everywhere. The constant sound of waves crashing meanwhile trying to fall asleep and smelling the scent of saltwater every hour of the day is something that will never get boring.

The reason being Hale and I had moved to Malibu. A great big house that looked like a mansion but we had made sure to also make it look like it was meant to be on the beachfront. It was the perfect place we had chosen, as it was very family-friendly and our backyard was sand and ocean, instead of grass.

Our house originally was a two-story house that looked just like every other one on the street. It was white, plain, and had not much character. We painted it a baby-blue, extended the walls on the exterior of the house, taking up more of the land, we changed all of the paneling of our deck and extended that too, and on the inside, we practically demolished every room and started from scratch.

It wasn't that we didn't like the house before, we just wanted something that we liked, but could make even more us. We didn't want a modern house, we wanted a cute, beachy house with modern aspects—like the electronics and our Google system wired throughout the entire house—but other than that, our interior is mostly wooden and pastel.

If I'm being completely honest, I never thought I would leave Dayton lakes. That place felt like it was a black hole, sucking everyone and everything into it; which it would then keep you there, with the good and the bad. I was jealous that Hale and Lila got out. Lakyn and I were stuck there and every time we were close to leaving, we were sucked back in.

But I was thankfully finally freed from that place when Hale had come back after at least a year or so from traveling around Australia. Lakyn had just moved to London to be with Lila and I decided to go and visit for Christmas. Not just because I missed my best friends but because I was failing my studies and I couldn't bear to stay at home alone.

Before Lakyn worked up enough courage to move, I took up the space on his couch. My house was haunted by the memories of my brother and my father was working constantly to distract himself, so I spent all of my time with Lakyn. It was nice because we were both going through the exact thing.

When I landed in London, I ran into someone and it felt like I had leaped into some cliché movie. It was Hale, of course. I hadn't seen him since he left and we only spoke on occasion because he was busy traveling and I was just trying to move on until I had my life figured out.

Turns out that he too was going to visit Lila, but she had no idea. We both caught a cab to Lila's apartment where she lived with her friend Sabine, and now, Lakyn too. Hale said he was going to Europe next and insisted on me to Italy and Greece. I denied it because even though I hated Dayton Lakes, I didn't want to leave my dad but I talked to Lila about it and that's when she said, and I quote, you need to start living for yourself.

Her words hit me like a rock and I found myself wondering how long I was planning on sitting at rock bottom, all alone. I knew that only I myself could get out and her words were encouraging enough for me to call my dad, explain the circumstances, drop out of college, and then less than a week later, I was on a one-way flight with Hale to Mykonos.

As soon as I stepped foot on the white sand and spent all hours of the days spent there, lying on the beach with Hale, I realized that I made it. I finally got out. And I was happy. My brother never got to experience this. He was in the same situation that I was and he never saw a way out. So, I began living life for not just myself, but him too. He never got to travel and have someone love them the way Hale did me, so everywhere I traveled, I took the extra time to really take in and enjoy the history and the scenery of everywhere I went.

We visited Hawaii last since it was in America, and I remembered Sam telling me about how he went there for summer break one year with his friends from college. He told me about how he wanted to live there one day, how he loved the water, and how kind people were there. One night I sat on the beach alone. Hale was in bed, and I swear I felt his presence next to me.

I felt okay. I felt like he was right there with me. He was at peace.

As much as I wanted to become a counselor and help people, I quickly realized that it wasn't for me. I wasn't passionate about it and I couldn't force myself to enjoy it. Students on campus constantly pitied me because of my brother and though they were just being nice, it was just a constant reminder of how he should be here with me.

Currently, I was lounging on the beach, on one of our outdoor sun lounges. The sun felt great on my aching body, as I watched my father down along the beach with his seven-year-old granddaughter, Hali. He's so much better now. He adores Hali and he is the best pops that anyone could ever ask for.

Hali is mine and Hale's gorgeous little seven-year-old daughter. She is everything and more that we could have ever asked for, not trying to be biassed but she is the definition of perfect. She is the perfect amount of the Hale and I.

My baby girl has the most beautiful hazel eyes, a perfect mixture of both mine and Hales. Hali has fine, light brown hair that runs down her small, olive back. Her smile and laughter are so contagious, her perfect smile and loud giggle of laughter remind me of my husband's, as Hale has always had a bright smile and infamous laugh.

My eyes shut as I feeling a sharp kick, I groaned out but I remained happy as I rubbed soothing soft circles into my massive stomach that managed to look like I had swallowed a few. I was pregnant, with Hale's second baby.

This time around it was extremely hard for us to get pregnant. We have had so many ups and downs the last few years, as all we wanted was another child but my body just wasn't allowing us too. We had tried so many things from seeking help from my doctor and even contemplating Lila being our traditional surrogate.

But just by luck, I fell pregnant, finally after heaps of trying and long nights of crying when the stick had read out negative. For a while, I tried to not get my hopes as the baby, my baby. Could have miscarried but to this day he hasn't.

He's remained our miracle baby.

"Oh, my god, did he just kick?" My favorite husky voice asked from beside me.

Hale and I were so excited when we found out we were having a boy, I'm pretty sure he was more excited than I,   but nonetheless I just wanted a baby, and I was happy with whatever gender as long as they were healthy.

We couldn't help ourselves by giving him a name, Harlow Hale. We fell in love with it when we were trying to get pregnant again. Hale wanted a boy, he claimed that he'd be happy with any gender, but I knew deep down that he really wanted a baby boy. And then we got an ultrasound and found out that Harlow was indeed a boy and our last child. We didn't plan on having anymore, I seriously don't know how Lila ended up with four, I seriously think I'd die.

I looked up, using my magazine to shield the sun away from my eyes so I could make out my gorgeous   face, "You weren't supposed to be home till late tonight."

Hale lent down and kissed me on the, bending down and putting his large hands onto my stomach, "I managed to finish, plus it's Christmas eve I need to be here instead of there."

We really go all out for Christmas. Our house is decorated from bottom to top with lights and we have two Christmas trees. Hali insisted. All-day, Hali and I have been preparing for Christmas. We have both drunk at least three hot chocolates and we even made these little snowman cookies, but they don't really like that anymore.

I nodded with a smile, "You sure do."

Lately, I've missed him.

He's been working with his father, helping him out at his publishing company, meanwhile, I have become a kindergarten teacher at a nearby daycare, after gaining all the necessary qualifications by doing an online course. They've taken on a new talented author going by the name of   Stone. Hales told me so much about him and how poetic and good his writing is. He says that Holt's first book had sold out within an hour of being up.

Hale has also started his own real estate business. It's been difficult getting it up and running but he's finally in a calm place with it, as he has heaps of people working for him selling a lot of houses. He's also bought a few houses around our favorite places in the world.

Our personal favorite being Australia, we have a gorgeous little beach house there. We also have a little cottage out in Greece that we like to try and go to a few times a year but with me trying to get pregnant we haven't had much time lately, but we rent them out while we aren't there so at least someone is enjoying them.

"Daddy!" Hali yelled as she ran right into Hale's open arms.

He smiled as he pretended to nibble on her, "Hey my little  ."

"I missed you." she stated as her hands were covered in sand and so were feet.

I gave him a pointed look. "If she's your little princess then what does that make me? Your big princess?"

Hale rolled his eyes, chuckling. "Nah, you're still my little princess too."

I rolled my eyes, my cheeks reddening. Greaser.

The weather was nowhere near great beach day weather, but Hali had insisted that she must go and play on the beach with my father, her grandfather. She had got pretty mad when I told her no at the start as the temperatures have dropped the last two or three months, but lately, there's been sun which has been great.

I couldn't bare seeing my little girl so sad and my father just gave me a look as if to say 'just let her', so I compromised with her, if I let her go out and play on the beach then she would have to wear her jumper and beanie.

She easily said yes.

I'm instantly pulled out of my thoughts when our rottweiler Prince came running off of the beach. We got Prince when Hale and I had just moved here when Hali was only two. We rescued him from a nearby pet shelter and the both of them instantly formed a connection and have been inseparable ever since.

"There's my big boy." Hale laughed as he started to play around with Prince.

I sent Hale a stare, "Don't make him all excited." I sighed out as I knew what a prince was like especially when he was excited.

He was like a crazy four-year-old just running around everywhere, messing up my beautiful modern house that I have managed to keep clean and tidy the whole time we have live here which has been since we were twenty-two and now, we are thirty-six, so we've been in the house for fourteen years.

Checking the time on my phone, I realized that it was four-thirty, meaning I should probably head inside and call Lila before it gets too late where she lives.

Getting up, we all headed inside. Dad went upstairs to have a shower, meanwhile, I laid on the couch, watching Hali play with her Barbies in front of the TV whilst I began to facetime Lila.

It rang for a while and I thought that maybe she wouldn't answer but on the last ring, she did, her tired face appearing on the screen. Even at the age of thirty-six, she barely looks a day over twenty. She looks better and healthier than ever. She got long blonde extensions installed, her pale skin is glowing, her blue eyes holding more life than ever.

"Hi!" I greeted her.

Smiling right back at me, she adjusts her position, seeming to be laying down on the couch "Hey." She greeted me with only half as much enthusiasm.

I can only imagine how tired she is. She's a busy lady. She's a fashion designer now, with four children—one on the way and three already born, five if you count their dog Grey—and she has her own fashion blog too.

"What time is it there?" I asked her.

She yawned. "It's Christmas here, let's just say that."

God, so it's past twelve then. I think they're eight hours ahead of us.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I can call you back tomorrow if you want." I suggested.

Lila shook her head. "No, it's fine." I miss her so much.

Being apart from both Lakyn and Lila has been hard and the one time of year we see each other, that time being Christmas, is usually what I look forward to all year, so to be unable to see them this year really sucks, but Lila and I are both too far along with our pregnancies to be able to travel safely.

"How's Hali?"

I switched the camera around, showing my little girl. "She's great." I replied, before saying: "Hali, say hi to the camera!"

Hali looked up from the toys that she was preoccupied with before sheepishly smiling. Awkward, just like her me. With her toys in hand, she quickly ran away and we both laughed simultaneously. If she knew that it was her aunt Lila, she'd be over straight away. She's obsessed with her. She says that she looks like her favorite Barbie doll.

"Sorry, she's socially awkward." I laughed at my weirdo of a child. "How's Mercy? Hali talks about her all the time. She misses her best friend."

One of my wishes ever since having Hali is for her to be best friends with Lila's daughter, Mercy. It's a strange wish but it would just be two little Lila and Eden's, what's cuter than that? My wish was fulfilled quickly because they practically consider each other sisters. Even though they only see each other once a year, they love spending time together.

We dove into a conversation about our children, catching up on anything that has happened in between now and the last time that we spoke less than four days ago.

"Look at my boy." I held my phone out, showing my best friend my stomach. "He's so big."

Much like Everly—Lila's unborn baby—Harlow was almost ready to enter this world. I think it's crazy how we had both of our first children only a year apart and now our last are predicted to be born within the same month. Well, Harlow will be my last, at least, Lila says the same about Everly, but I wouldn't be surprised if she creates a whole army of children.

I followed her actions, showing her my stomach as I pulled my shirt up, revealing my bump. "Everly's big too. It feels like having twins all over again." I laughed.

"I seriously don't know how you did it. I'd die." I said truthfully, laughing. "I can't wait for Harlow and Everly to be best friends too."

I have no doubt that they will become the greatest of friends. "If he's anything like Hale, then my daughter is getting on birth control the moment she becomes a teenager."

"Hey, Hale wasn't that bad." I rolled my eyes.

He was that bad but he turned out fine. I'll make sure that I bring my son up to be the furthest thing from a fuckboy. He is going to be respectful and smart, just like his sister.

She laughed, not convinced. "Right." Lila agreed sarcastically. "Where is Hale?"

Perfectly on time, he peeped his head into frame, squashing the side of his face against Eden's cheek. "Hello." he grinned, his dimples deepening.

Perfectly on time, Hale walked up behind me, squashing his face against the side of mine, his dimples deepening as he grinned. "Hello." he said to his best friend that he never shuts up about.

I watched in awe as Lila tilted her head back, smiling like she has ever since she fell in love with Lakyn when she was just seventeen as he pressed a kiss to her forehead. I have never experienced two people more in love. They aren't perfect by any means, no one is, but I like to think that they are.

I admire how they took the time to better themselves before being together.

"Yuck." Hale said childishly.

I rolled my eyes whereas Lakyn simply said: "Fuck off."

Hale laughed and Lakyn smiled. Seeing them still be best friends makes me so happy. They do not stay in contact half as much as Lila and I do, mainly because they are completely family orientated, so anything else is not really a priority, but they do not need to. When they do talk, it as though no time has passed.

Each one of us spoke for twenty minutes longer before Lila claimed to be tired which was understandable, it was only just past five here and even I was exhausted from my daily motherly duties, I barely make it past eight without falling asleep, so I don't know how she does it. She truly is a hero.

Hours passed and eventually, Hali was tucked into bed, my dad was snoring his head off, now Hale and I were each seated on the couch, staring at the view we had from our very own living room. The wide double doors were open, revealing the stary sky and restless waves, crashing over and over.

"Do you ever think about how eighteen years ago, we were talking about forever and ever?" Hale asked, he had a few beers, so I think this was just him being tipsy. "I don't think either of us really believed it."

I did believe it then. I didn't believe it forever but in that point in time, I tried to believe it because I never wanted to be without him but I knew that a point would come where there would be no us anymore. I didn't want to imagine a life without him but good things never really happened to me and when they would. . .they would leave or hurt me.

"I believed it. I guess it's ironic because even though we were promising forever, I knew that we wouldn't last forever." I whispered tiredly. "But forever is whatever we make of it. One minute, one hour, or one eternity can be our forever if we want. And when I was laying in your arms with you after school. . .that felt like forever."

He turned to stare at me with longing and I smiled. "It did, didn't it?" he replied.

I nodded, rubbing my pregnant belly. "Yeah." I held his big hand with mine, interlinking our fingers. "It did."

Forever and always has been something implemented into our relationship for a long time, not to make sure that we remain together forever, but because even if we were to be pulled apart and taken to separate ends of the earth, pieces of each other, parts of his soul and shards of his hard, will resonate within me until the day I die. So, forever he will be mine as I will be his because we were made for each other.

I believe that even in our past lives, even if we went by different names and lived in different eras, we would have found each other. We have already lived through our love story and even though I don't remember any of them, I know that this is the best one yet.

"I love you so much, princess."

I glanced over at his beautiful face. "Forever and ever?"

"Forever and ever."

Hey Hi Hello!

Wow, this is truly it, this is the last chapter of Running For Miles. now first things first I would like to take credit for this chapter but I can't do that because I was on holiday and only had a thousand or so words but all thanks to my best friend in the whole entire world has helped me finish this last ever chapter of RFM.

From the very bottom of y heart, I would love to take all of you, I wish I could thank every one of you individually but that would take way too long so, Thank you, I could never have done this without every single one of you.

but the one person that I truly could never than enough would have to be @sharnahespinosashe is the main reason that my writing has improved and she is the main reason why this book is as good as it is, in my opinion, that is. if it weren't for her I probably would never have written in the first place. I just want to thank you for always supporting me and helping me when I needed it and taking my slight thoughts and suggestions into consideration. I love you and I cant wait to see what happens next year.

Once again I would like to remind you guys that we may or may not have an early Christmas present coming for all of you guys, make sure you're looking out for it and be ready.

I love you all and thank you so much once again, I hope you all have a safe and happy Christmas xx

GemmaGrace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

333 36 30
Morgan Adams never expected to start her senior year in a new state. Her plans for an amazing year with her friends were pulled right out from under...
Bloody Smiles By Jessica Lic

Mystery / Thriller

234 76 22
Icelyn Ferrit, a high school sophomore who moves from Seattle, a wealthy American city, to Salmon Arm, a simple, lonely town in Canada. She meets ma...
682K 19.6K 35
"I know that I can fuck up your whole life with one look. But I can't stop myself." ✰ ✰ ✰ Mia Rose...
63 0 32
When Emma moved to Florida to get to her dream college, she was, at first, thinking that the town in America would be safe, however, soon, she would...