Rhythm of Heartbreak (COMPLET...

By avidnovela

Jess is an innocent soul that only wants one thing in her life and that is to be bound with Shaun forever. Sh... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 13

30 4 1
By avidnovela

Jess entered the tent bewildered by how many young artists joined the boot camp, their ages varied from young teens, kids, and early adults even to late 30s. She also wonders if it's imperative to swing on musical instruments with them since she noticed that most if not all were holding their guitar or violin, and some were seen on their flute and even drumsticks.

She gulped nervously. Am I the only one who doesn't play any musical instruments here? She thought to herself.

Jess roamed her eyes around and saw that the arrangements were extended up to the beachfront just outside the massive tent, there they set up the stage and tested the lights and sound. She then ponders what she can expect from tonight's event.

She was slowly walking backward as she retraced her steps but did not want to cast her eyes away from the chaos of the preparation when suddenly she bumped into someone.

"Hey, watch where you're going!" Uttered the young woman who didn't hide her annoyance.

Jess readily swung herself around to face them, she was about to apologize when her eyes captured a familiar scene. This is a classic textbook scenario, three women, looking sophisticated and well off were glaring at her as their arms were crossed showing more intimidation, their eyes were sending deadly gazes towards Jess ready to attack if deemed necessary.

Am I in the version of the popular Mean Girls movie? She inwardly suppressed a laugh as her imagination went overboard. The woman Jess initially bumped with, noticed her humor and garnered even more dislike towards her.

"I don't know where you came from, but society dictates that you should learn to apologize when you wronged someone, that's common social etiquette" she stated with the means to insult Jess.

Jess readily straightened her thoughts and this time apologetically looked at the three young women in front of her. "I'm sorry for bumping at you, it was silly of me not to watch where I was going," she uttered.

Jess waited for their reply when she noticed another menacing glare as they halted away from her without saying a word. She shakes her head. Very Typical.

She then walked away from the event location and moved her way towards the shore. She needed a breather from that intense encounter. She then instinctively tied her hair up to keep it in place. The warm sun beams brightly so Jess allowed herself to relax. She walked an inch closer to the water, then decided to remove her shoes so they not get wet. She curled her toes as she felt the sand tingling in her senses.

This is nice. She thought.

She breathed in, she felt free. When was the last time she went to the beach? She can't remember anymore. She then played in the water as the tiny waves chased her feet, she was acting like a little girl as her laughter erupted without inhibition. She then raised her hands widely in an open embrace as her face stared at the blue sky, without further thought she started spinning, her eyes shut closed as she tried to maintain her balance.

Oh, how she loves the summer heat, the salty sea air filling her nostrils. What a perfect day!

"I am glad that you are enjoying yourself" a voice came into view.

Jess's movements halted; eyes fell directly on the man who disturbed her peace.

"Why are you here?" she asked, suddenly feeling embarrassed by her act earlier.

He smirked. "I am after all your mentor; I should know where you are. It's part of my job" Rick stated.

Jess squinted her eyes contemplating his words. She then noticed that he changed his clothing, thank goodness. Imagine the heat from that leather jacket he was wearing earlier. She then studied Rick, he's now wearing his dark sunglasses, complimenting his casual look of a shirt and dark blue jeans. Basic colors huh? Her brows raised. But even in this simplistic outfit, she's not sure what exactly but this man looks attractive. Dangerously attractive if she may be explicit. Then Jess's eyes landed on his necklace, it's pure silver but the pendant looks like a symbol or probably tribal of some sort. She doesn't know but it adds up to his charms.

"I'm not sure that babysitting their junior artist is the job of a mentor" she responded after her exploration had ended.

"Well, it is now..." he smirks again.

"Why do you restrain your smile? There's no harm in laughing, you know that right? It's free, you are even more beautiful when you smile..." she blurted out loud. She gasped. Why did she say her thoughts?

Rick raised his brow and asked. "Excuse me?"

Panic registered in Jess's eyes as she tried to find a good logical explanation for her actions. "I just notice you usually smirk, I assume that, well... I thought that..." she uttered unable to formulate her words.

Rick laughs loudly, "I understand, I will try to loosen up a bit when I am with you Jess Lynn" he added with an underlying hint in his tone.

"No, no you don't have to do that" she reasoned out wanting to set the record straight.

"Too late to back out now, you ask for it. You must take responsibility for what you ask for, he said, adding to her discomfort.

"But... but..." she was about to retaliate when Rick spoke again.

"The welcome event will start at 6 PM later, you still have time to freshen up, the invitation is sent to your room, and you will see the program proper and the theme for tonight" he explained changing their prior topic.

Jess nodded and was ready to head back to her room when an unexpected movement brought her closer to Rick, she felt his arms pull her waist and by instinct, her hands went straight to his broad, solid chest. Not this again! She thought.

She gasped as she tried to conceal her surprise. Such quick movements led her to throw her shoes away. She was doing a good job securing it a moment ago.

She looked at him and another surprise gasp was heard when she noticed his lips moving an inch closer to her.

Her eyes widened. "Rick, what are you doing?" she asked sounding breathless. She tried to untangle herself from his punishing closeness, but he didn't even flinch.

His head moves towards her ear, sending a rush of heat to her core. She gulped. She suddenly heard him say.

"Your ex is watching; you might want to smile and pretend to be cozy with me..." he whispered.

Jess blushed realizing his actions, she had been manipulated and with one final push, he released her.

"Don't do anything like this again, do you understand?" She shouted and quickly halted away from Rick.

If she lingered for a bit, she could have seen his expression, it's a combination of bewilderment, surprise, amusement, and even wonder. Rick then finds himself smiling, this is making him feel excited, nonetheless.

At a distance, Shaun witnessed the scene that transpired in front of him. Seeing Jess and his mortal enemy together brought certain emotions he couldn't point his fingers at, but one thing is sure, he felt rage. What for exactly? Shaun asked himself.

His eyes went to Jess as he saw her pick up her shoes and go straight to the resort, her movements were steady and she was not looking back, then his eyes went to Rick and saw his disgusting smile. There's a certain playfulness between them. Why are they together? Why does he feel possessive anyway? He doesn't own Jess. He hurt her intentionally. So why is he acting this way? Is it because of Rick? His animosity towards him is so massive that he can't have what belonged to him before.

So, you own Jess? His thoughts uttered. Not in that sense, but Jess belongs to him. But you don't want to be with her? His mental voice questioned.

No, but it doesn't mean Rick can have her. Shaun concluded.

Shaun turned around as he clasped his knuckles tightly. He needed to calm down or else he would march to where Rick was and land some solid punches on his face just to get even. He breathed deeply.

Meanwhile, Jess slammed the hotel door quite forcefully as she was fuming inside. "Men, Men are obnoxious! How dare he play with my emotions? Pulling me closer towards him without regard for how that would affect me?" She stated to herself.

She paced back and forth in her room when she suddenly remembered how her hands felt resting on his hard chest, engulfing her closer, smelling his aftershave as his hot breath landed on her face making her dizzy. He is an enigma! Her heart flips back at the mere contact. She cannot handle such proximity with Rick, she would die young and worse, because of a heart attack.

She sighed loudly.

It then came to light what Rick mentioned about her ex, does that mean Shaun was there witnessing the whole ordeal?

An embarrassed growl escaped her mouth as she landed on the bed, pulling the pillow towards her face as she tried to suppress her frustration.

Why is Shaun there in the first place? He despises the sun, he hates it because of how harmful it is to his skin. Her eyes rolled. So why did he step out and roam around at this time of day?

Jess readily gets up and paces towards the shower. She shrugs the final thoughts away. She does not care! She won't care! Rick and Shaun can go to Hell together. She can't allow them to use her as a pawn in their little game. If they have issues, they should deal with them on their own, she can't be a part of it or get stuck in the middle of their war, that's just stressful. Curse all men! She thought with finality.

The noises in her head started to cease when Jess suddenly felt the cold water dripping down her naked body. She smiled. This is peace. She took her time in the shower as she tried to erase her dreadful encounter with the two men whom she couldn't seem to stay away from. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

770 100 22
Riley Hayes is a teenager you can't help but admire. She's smart, kind, and undeniably pretty. But beneath her cheerful exterior lies a heavy burden...
4.8K 291 28
Amelia Claire, your typical beauty who's innocent and sassy at the same time. Shawn Whitman, who falls in love with the innocence she carries, the m...
5.7K 361 62
Madison has always been drawn to the haunting melodies and darkly poetic lyrics of Oliver Rose and The Thorns. Their music was her refuge during the...
184K 10.9K 38
(Completed) With a past and now a present, can they have a future? Once again Bethany is planning the foundation's annual winter gala and the last pe...