Chapter 12: Magnetic Interlude

As Shaun's stare deepened, Jess felt like she couldn't catch her breath. A light sweat formed on her forehead, and her throat went dry, making her swallow nervously. The way he looked at her was overwhelming, making her heart race.

"Well, well... what a sight to behold," Shaun said again, his voice heavy with sarcasm. His smirk was infuriating, the way his lips curled up like he was enjoying seeing her squirm.

Jess glared at him, her eyes narrowing. She tried to control her rising anger, but it slipped into her voice. "What are you doing here?" she snapped, the words coming out sharper than she intended. She glanced at the front desk, relieved that the clerks seemed unaware of the tension between them. I need to calm down, she reminded herself.

Shaun didn't seem bothered by her anger. "I could ask you the same thing. I thought this boot camp was only for artists?" He raised his eyebrows, challenging her with a hint of arrogance.

He studied her, a thought nagging at him. Had something changed about her? Was it her hair, makeup, or maybe the way she dressed? She looked... pretty. That thought surprised him. Since when had he ever thought of Jess as pretty?

Before Jess could reply, someone appeared behind Shaun, changing the mood in the room. Her heart skipped a beat as Rick Reed walked over, taller and more imposing than Shaun. For a moment, everything seemed to stop, the world narrowing down to just the three of them.

Rick looked effortlessly cool in his leather jacket, even though the weather was unbearably hot. The dark fabric gleamed slightly under the artificial lights, and though his sunglasses hid his eyes, Jess could feel his gaze on her—intense and unyielding, like he could see right through her.

Jess's breath caught in her throat. There was something magnetic about Rick, something that drew everyone's attention. His broad shoulders and confident stance made it clear he was someone you didn't mess with. The scent of leather mixed with a faint hint of cologne reached her, adding to his mysterious appeal.

He slowly lifted his sunglasses, revealing piercing hazel eyes that locked onto hers. The intensity of his gaze made her pulse quicken, her skin tingling under his scrutiny. For a moment, she was completely captivated, forgetting her anger toward Shaun as she found herself lost in Rick's commanding presence.

"Sorry I'm late. Did you wait for me?" Rick asked casually, his voice smooth and captivating. His eyes stayed on hers, like they were the only two people in the room.

Without thinking, she nodded. Why did I say yes? She had no idea. Her body seemed to have a mind of its own around him.

Rick smiled, showing perfect white teeth that stood out against his rugged look. "Sorry to keep you waiting. I had something to take care of before they sent me away for fifteen days." He spoke as if Shaun wasn't even there, his attention focused solely on Jess.

"It's fine," she replied, her mind foggy with confusion. Why am I playing along? I wasn't waiting for Rick Reed—why would I?

Rick smoothly took her things and guided her away, his hand firm and reassuring on her elbow. Shaun stood frozen. His eyes narrowed, his jaw clenched as he watched them walk away, disbelief turning into fury.

As the elevator doors closed, a chill ran through Jess. The air felt thicker, more oppressive. She tried to take her bags back, her fingers brushing against his, but his grip was strong, his touch gentle yet firm.

"Rick, I can manage," she insisted.

He glanced at her, a soft smile on his lips. "I know you can, Jess. But let me help you this time."

She wasn't sure if he meant carrying her bags or what he did with Shaun. Either way, she was grateful. Shaun's reaction lingered in her mind, his intense gaze burning into her thoughts. He had never looked at her like that before, and the realization unsettled her. But she couldn't help the small smile that tugged at her lips.

They reached her floor in silence. When they found her room, Rick opened the door and placed her luggage inside with care. He moved with a quiet confidence that was both intimidating and attractive. "My room is a few doors from yours." he offered the information proactively. 

She raised a brow but decided not to comment. "Thanks for the help," she said.

"You're welcome," he replied, his eyes still on hers.

She took a deep breath, gathering her courage. "What was that earlier? We're not exactly friends. Why did you help me?"

Rick walked to the balcony. He opened the windows, letting in a rush of fresh air that carried the scent of flowers and distant rain, with the salty breeze from the sea. The drapes fluttered gently, the cool air easing the heat that had settled in her chest.

He looked out at the view. The sun cast a warm glow on his face, highlighting his sharp jawline and the intense focus in his hazel eyes. For a moment, he seemed lost in thought, the colors of the sky reflecting his inner turmoil.

"How do you know Shaun Hays?" he finally asked, turning to face her. His voice was calm, but there was an edge to it—curiosity, maybe even protectiveness. His eyes searched hers, looking for answers she wasn't sure she was ready to give.

She sighed, the weight of her past with Shaun pressing down on her. "He took everything from me. I want him to pay for what he did."

Rick studied her, his gaze steady and intense. "Be careful with that. Sometimes, when you try to hurt someone, you end up hurting yourself."

"I know," she whispered.

He moved closer, placing a hand on her waist with a firm yet gentle grip. His eyes locked onto hers, and her heart raced. His presence was overwhelming, pulling her in despite her better judgment. "Rick," she breathed, her voice trembling. She wanted to tell him to back off, to stop this flirtation, but the words wouldn't come. She just stared into his hazel eyes, oblivious to everything else.

He smiled and let her go, the warmth of his touch lingering on her skin. "But that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun, right? Do you want to make Shaun pay for everything he did to you?"

She nodded, still unable to speak. Rick's smile grew. "Then I have just the plan."