The Folly of Love

By SixteenAgain

Once touched by love, our lives can never be the same. Sameer Maheshwari, though born in India, grew up in L... More

Prologue
|| 1 ||
|| 2 ||
|| 3 ||
|| 4 ||
|| 5 ||
|| 6 ||
|| 7 ||
|| 8 ||
|| 9 ||
|| 10 ||
|| 11 ||
|| 12 ||
|| 13 ||
|| 14 ||
|| 15 ||
|| 16 ||
|| 17 ||
|| 18 ||
|| 19 ||
|| 20 ||
|| 21 ||
|| 22 ||
|| 23 ||
|| 24 ||
|| 25 ||
|| 26 ||
|| 27 ||
|| 28 ||
|| 29 ||
|| 30 ||
|| 32 ||
|| 33 ||
|| 34 ||
|| 35 ||
|| 36 ||
|| 37 ||
|| 38 ||
|| 39 ||
|| 40 ||
|| 41 ||
Epilogue

|| 31 ||

4.2K 249 297
By SixteenAgain

The next week flew by in a buzz of activities. Naina had a lot on her plate, apart from the office related work, the wedding in the building too kept her very busy. And then Sameer had to travel for a couple of days to assess the setup of a prospective supplier.

They were talking on the phone one night after his return from the trip, when Sameer asked "So, I will see you on Sunday at home?" Naina pondered on his question warily for a few moments and then replied, "I was thinking... maybe we can meet somewhere else. Maybe grab some lunch outside." He replied amicably "Sure. Wherever you want to go, it's fine. Do you have a good restaurant in mind?"

When nothing jumped to her mind, Naina told him she would think of something and let him know the next day.

* * *

Sunday, about lunch time, they were standing outside a restaurant that had been highly recommended by a few of her colleagues. As it turned out, the place was sought after, and Sameer and Naina had been standing in the queue for close to twenty minutes.

He asked probably for the third time "Are you sure they don't take reservations?" Naina retorted "Sameer, I have already told you that I tried to make a reservation when I called to check their timings. But I was informed that they don't!" Looking at the families standing in the queue along with them, he asked quizzically "And many of your colleagues have recommended this place for a date?"

She shushed him immediately "Don't call it that!" He looked very confused "Don't call what what??" Naina looked at the family standing in front of them. The old lady with that family had been casting suspicious looks at them ever since they arrived. Lowering her voice, Naina whispered "Don't say the word D A T E!" Sameer sounded incredulous "But why not call it what it is??" She flushed a little "Well... whatever it is, we don't need to advertise it, right?"

Advertise it?? What the hell is she talking about? Why would anyone looking at us – standing without holding hands... forget holding hands... standing at a distance of a meter from each other... think that we are dating?! He fumed on the inside.

Feeling like he was that the end of his patience, Sameer muttered "Well the food better be out of this world!" She glared at him for a few seconds before directing her annoyed gaze at the vendor selling green mangoes - Out of this world?? Does he not realise that we are standing outside a family restaurant in Ahmedabad?? I was a fool to suggest that we head out for lunch... Next time, I will tell him to first eat potatoes cooked by Champa and then meet me!

Both subjected the other to the silent treatment for the next few minutes as they inched their way to the front of the queue.

As they were shown to a small table, Sameer looked around with mounting astonishment – A date at a Thali restaurant overflowing with families? And here I was, dreaming of a leisurely cosy romantic rendezvous!

All the tables were filled with zealous diners. The staff donning a maroon uniform moved around with large multi compartment brass pots swiftly serving the customers.

Families were nosily chatting as the kids excitedly sampled the variety of dishes on offer. The women looked very happy at being served for a change! While the men bore a satisfied smile that they had fulfilled their duty to provide the expected periodic family outing.

No sooner had they been seated than the head staff arrived and enquired which type of thali would they like – Regular or Deluxe. Deluxe was deemed the right choice by Naina and hence two of those were ordered. Immediately a platoon of waiters started arriving and heaping their plates with a seemingly endless number of curries and side dishes.

Mimicking the behaviour of other diners, Sameer and Naina started nibbling on their food too. After unsuccessfully waiting for him to remark on the food or the venue for a couple of minutes, Naina asked him tentatively "Do you not like the food?"

He shrugged "It's fine." And then added sounding a little sardonic "At least no one will complain about the service being slow." Glancing around he went on "I am sure they pride themselves on their customers spending the most time in the queue and the least time at the table!"

Naina looked around the at the other patrons and then at him. Is he feeling out of place? Naina, what were you thinking bringing him here?! What had seemed like a very good idea while talking to her colleagues, now appeared to be gaffe.

Finding is hard to swallow the food, she put down the cutlery and leaned back in her chair with a glazed look. Noting her disheartened expression, he uttered feeling apologetic "Hey, don't worry... the food is good." She looked unconvinced "I know they don't use silverware here, but I really thought you would enjoy the food. It's really renowned... and I thought..." shaking her head dismally she added "I don't know what I was thinking..."

"Naina, the food is perfectly fine!" he rushed to assure her and then tried to explain his behaviour "I was just a little annoyed about the long wait and the crowd... but it's okay... seriously!" A small pause later, he remarked looking perplexed "And what made you think that I would want the cutlery to be made of silver?!"

His attempt to assuage her misgivings did not have the hoped-for effect. Her eyes were still clouded with anxiety as Naina muttered with a faraway look "That day, you had enjoyed a similar meal so much! So, when I heard of this place, it seemed like an obvious choice. Of course, it isn't that posh..."

As he mused over all their meeting of the last couple of weeks, Sameer drew a blank on when they had partaken a similar meal. Sounding confused, he asked, "Which meal are you talking about??"

She stayed quiet for some time and then smiled nostalgically "That day, you kept eating for a long time even after we couldn't eat another bite... it was so endearing watching you enjoying Indian food so much!" Suddenly she chuckled lightly as she reached a conclusion "It was probably reassuring too, that there was a part of you that had taste for some things Indian..."

Noting that he was still not following what she was talking about, Naina explained "Do you not remember that meal at the Main Palace with Nanaji? They had this very special Thali... it was a royal version served in silver plates. I have this memory of you relishing that meal so much!" Then looking unsure she added "At least, that's how I remember it. Maybe I am mistaken..." her voice trailed off.

At last Sameer realised what she was referring to! Some memories resurfaced of that languid lunch from the trip with his grandfather and her. His lips stretching in a smile, he exclaimed "Oh yes! I now remember. I had absolutely pigged out!"

Comprehension dawned and he understood why they were in that specific restaurant. She had wanted to recreate that experience for him, or maybe for both. He had completely missed the intent behind her choice and had instead done nothing but whinge!

His left hand immediately flew to his ear and he mouthed a "Sorry?" When she offered him just a perfunctory smile, he rushed on still holding his ear "Naina, I really am so sorry! I just did not put the two and two together... That memory had just slipped my mind." She muttered "It isn't about remembering that memory Sameer. I am disappointed that I didn't plan a meal that you could have enjoyed today."

"Hey, the food is good! I am loving it!" he tried to convince her, but she shook her head "You don't have to pretend. It's clear that you are not loving it here." Sameer took a deep breath and then admitted "You are right. I am not thrilled to be here, but it has nothing to do with the food. Or the cutlery! I suppose... I was hoping for a cosier place. It just doesn't have the feel for a romantic date, does it?"

All her apprehensions vanished at the mention of 'a romantic date'! Was that what has been on his mind? She sneaked a glance at the table to her left where a mother was scolding her six-year-old for still needing to be fed, while the old man on the table to her right was nosily burping. Naina, he is right... this is hardly a place for a date... forget a romantic one!

Blushing a little, she muttered "I didn't think of that!" and then added looking flustered "But, I don't know of such places..." Eyes twinkling with mischief, Sameer said "Well, next time instead of asking your friends for recommendations on places serving good food, ask for places offering more privacy!"

Her widened in horror "Are you mad?! How can I ask them that? And what will I tell them, why I need information about such places?" He seemed lost at her reaction "And why not?? Don't they go out with their partners?" When she scrunched her face "Partners??" He rolled his eyes "I mean, boyfriend-girlfriend, fiancée or spouse..." Then glancing around, he added quickly "Forget the spouse bit... apparently this place meets the expectations of spouses! But surely the unmarried couples crave for some quiet time, right?"

Naina nodded and muttered "I guess so..." When she did not add anything more, he gave up on the topic and instead extended his hand across the table offering her bite of a Jalebi "Let's enjoy the meal now, shall we?" Though very conscious of her surroundings and the audience, Naina couldn't find it in her heart to object to his public display of affection.

Though she took a quick bite and pushed his hand back, it was not quick enough! The very next moment, the boy on the neighbouring table very loudly complained to his mother "Uncle is still feeding that Auntie and she is so big! So, why can't you feed me?" The boy's mother glared at Sameer and Naina. And then she remarked to her husband in Gujarati "Why do such people come to family restaurants?!" Pretending to not have heard the comment, Naina resumed her meal and conversation with Sameer with renewed enthusiasm.

Just as predicted by Sameer, the meal was completed quickly, and they were once again out on the street. After walking around for a short while, Sameer decided that trying to dodge the traffic, the numerous vendors and the horde of Sunday shoppers was not the sort of walk that any young lover dreamt of!

Not able to think of any alternatives, he suggested "Naina, shall we head back to my place? We can have some coffee and chat for a bit." Keen to avoid more of his relatives, Naina proposed "There's a park close by. Shall we go there for a walk instead?" When he readily agreed, they soon found themselves ambling in the park.

It being afternoon, the park was not very crowed. But some families were scattered around trying to make a picnic out of the home packed lunches. The play area had a few kids lining up for their turn on the equipment. After taking a few rounds along the main garden path, they settled on a bench in a shady spot. Some time was spent chit-chatting about mundane topics.

They had been sitting quietly for a couple of minutes just soaking in the companionable silence, while Naina was observing the group of young girls sitting nearby who were singing some Bollywood song. when Sameer suddenly asked, "Boy or girl?"

The question caught her off guard and she turned in his direction with a confused look "What??" Sameer's eyes were trained on a group of young kids playing in the distance. He continued gazing in that direction for a few moments and then looked at her "Our child... do you know if we would have had a boy or a girl?"

His words were uttered very softly. But the pain reflected in his eyes was very sharp and it cut through to her core.

"I don't know..." her voice was hoarse with the raw pain clawing at her heart. She continued despondently "They didn't tell me... I don't know if it was too early to tell... or if they felt I wasn't entitled to the information." Sameer reached out to clasp her hand.

In answer to his questioning gaze, Naina added "It was all very hush hush... they could see I was an unmarried young girl. I wasn't in the state to ask many questions and there wasn't anyone by my side to ask them on my behalf." His grip on her hand grew so strong that for a moment Naina thought one of her bones might snap.

"I don't know why but I keep imagining a little girl..." Sameer almost whispered. Naina stared at him strangely before muttering "And I have felt sure that it must have been a boy." He asked sounding overwhelmed "Did you actually sense him?" She blinked uncertainly "You mean... did I feel they movements? Wasn't it too early for that??" He shook his head "No... I mean... why are you sure it was a boy?" She replied gloomily "I suppose it's my track record of losing the men in my life. If it were a girl, she would have probably stuck around. She would have fit in my world of women, right?"

He wanted to point out that he was a part of her world and he was right next to her. But it didn't feel like the right moment.

"Did it hurt too much? I mean physically??" The moment he asked the question it felt superfluous. She replied with a light shrug "I suppose it did hurt that night... but I can't really remember the physical pain... the emotional pain has completely overshadowed it." Few tears slowly spilled from her eyes.

His heart wrenched afresh as Sameer moved closer to drape his one arm around her and offered her his handkerchief. He spoke as she was wiping her tears "I wanted to talk to you about all this for long... but bringing it up over the phone didn't feel right... And then there has hardly been time enough when we met since my arrival here... all our catch-ups have somehow been cut short." Naina muttered "I understand."

Sameer asked her the question that had haunted him for some time now "Do you really hold me responsible for the miscarriage?" Her startled eyes met his "What?! Why would you say that?" He gulped nervously "That night... in the hospital... you said that maybe if you had met me at Nanu's memorial... had you been not that stressed... it might not have happened."

Naina weighed his question briefly before responding "No, I don't." Immense relief flooded his heart as she continued "Sameer, we will never know if it made any difference. Yes, I was extremely anxious... and maybe it will have some effect. But, I now understand that there can be many reasons that these things happen. I mean, look at Deepika! Ollie was with her and they were happily married. She said she was taking really good care of her health and yet it happened. So, no, I don't blame you." He muttered his voice heavy "You have no idea... how much this means to me."

The silence between them stretched out.

Sameer ended it first "I hope you know that, had I known, I would have come for you both." He went on earnestly "Naina, you have to believe me, I wouldn't have abandoned you!" She unsuccessfully tried to smile at him as she nodded "Sameer, I know that now. But I have agonised over those doubts for years." He gave her a small nod in understanding.

"Sameer, this is not the path most couples walk... the order of things... sometimes I am not sure if we are doing it right..." her words dragged loaded with doubt.

She has been through so much pain and uncertainty all because of me! This time, I must get it right. I will woo her and leave her in no doubt that our future is not a side effect of our past. Whatever happens next is not in lieu of an apology. A strange calmness overcame Sameer.

He squeezed her hand reassuringly "But, we are trying to put it right. And that's what matters now!" She nodded as his eyes implored "Naina, whatever we do this time, we will do with a clear head and with the utmost certainty that it is the right thing for both of us. For now, and forever."

Though their forever was still not etched in stone, Naina realised that this was the closest they had come to deliberating on it together. Her head wondered - His heart and head are in the right place. But are they in the same place? Her heart played his advocate – He has come all this way and rearranged his whole life to be with me and to do it right. Doesn't he deserve a chance to reach that decision in his own time?

* * *

The next few days passed by in a blur for both. The business, which was supposed to be a pretext for being around her, was barely leaving him with any spare time. By Friday, Sameer was extremely restless and exasperated. Time and again he found himself fuming – Why the hell am I really here?! I have met hundreds of other people this week but her! Forget wooing her ...I haven't even seen her!

Casting a glance at his watch, he stood up with a determined stance. As he passed by Madhav's desk, he announced "I am leaving for the day. Please take care of that meeting with Mr Shukla." Thinking of something, he asked Madhav to convey some instructions to his driver.

Half an hour later, as his car approached Naina's office, Sameer happily glanced at the bunch of flowers on the seat next to him. Thank God, she isn't away on a tour today! And I hope she's in better spirits. When he had spoken to her the previous night, she had sounded a little out of sorts. She hadn't gone into the details, but it seemed there had been some disagreement with her mother.

Exiting the car, he made his way towards her office.

* * *

Feeling quite perplexed, Naina left her desk and headed to the reception area. The receptionist had called on her extension to tell her that she had a personal visitor. Though this itself was a rare occurrence, what baffled Naina more was the teasing tone in which the receptionist had conveyed the message.

Her confusion gave way to incredulity the moment she stepped in the reception area. Holding a bouquet, Sameer was sitting on one of the chairs there. Her heart lurched dangerously at the unexpected sight. He looked so dashing in the light grey shirt paired with black trousers, hair slightly tousled and the end-of-day stubble starting to make an appearance. The bouquet in his hand was mostly red roses with a just a few sprays of tiny white flowers.

"What are you doing here?!" she exclaimed slightly dazed. Smiling widely, he sprung to his feet and held out the flowers "I decided to surprise you! Considering you must have almost finished work, I thought of picking you up rather than arranging to meet somewhere else."

"Why did you bring flowers??" She continued still bewildered. He was surprised by this question "Why not??" Keenly aware that the receptionist's attention was focussed on them, Naina muttered anxiously "I mean... there's no occasion... it's not my birthday..." He smirked "Meeting a pretty lady is always occasion enough!"

Naina smiled nervously in response and, glancing at the wall clock, muttered "I just need few minutes to wrap up for the day. Shall I see you outside?" Sameer smiled "No worries... I will wait till you finish."

Heading inside, Naina tried to swiftly complete the couple of pending tasks. I hope he understood that I would meet him 'outside'... as in outside the office area! She was already dreading questions that were sure to follow the next day. I have to offer Leena some satisfactory explanation tomorrow before she decides that his visit is gossip worthy... Naina decided on a cover story as she turned off her PC and locked her drawer – He is a family friend who's grandmother is a good friend of my Nani... and the flowers were for Nani! Pleased with this idea, she headed to the reception feeling relieved - Yes, that should work! It's quite believable...

But her relief was short lived when she found Sameer still standing in the reception chatting with a very ecstatic Guptaji.

The moment he noticed her, Guptaji announced "Naina, did you know that Sameer Sir is back in town?!" Naina was thankful when he continued addressing Sameer without waiting for her reply "It was such a wonderful assignment! Believe me, I don't praise anyone unnecessarily... but your family has excellent etiquettes! It was a pleasure doing business with all of you. And are you in Ahmedabad for another holiday? We have some very good tours to offer in other parts of the country too."

Turning to receptionist, he directed "Leena, pass me the latest brochures. Especially the one for Goa... and the one for Kerala too!" Guptaji addressed Sameer again "There are some great options in here. I can suggest something based on the number of days that you wish to travel..."

Grabbing the brochures offered, Sameer interjected "Thank you so much! I will have a read and get back to you whenever I plan to take some time off. But I am in India for work and cannot imagine finding any spare time to holiday!" Guptaji nodded agreeably and then asked him "What brings you here then??"

Before Naina could create a new cover story, Sameer shared with a smile "Oh... I am here to pick up Naina." Guptaji asked baffled "Where did you run into Naina??" Before Sameer could offer anymore truthful insights into their relationship, Naina concocted a version less likely to intrigue her colleagues "I found out from Deepika... you remember his sister? I am in touch with her. She passed my contact details to Sameer; in case he needs some help settling here... it's a new place for him."

Guptaji immediately pulled out his wallet and dug out a visiting card "Sameer Sir keep this and let me know if you need any help. I have many truly useful contacts in Ahmedabad." Naina almost rolled her eyes at his emphasis on the word useful, but then was very happy to note that he had bought her story!

After some lengthy goodbyes from Guptaji and quick ones from Sameer, the young couple left Naina's office.

As she got in the backseat accompanied by Sameer, he quickly moved a plastic bag filled with lots of colouring equipment and books to the floor. Noticing her baffled look, he explained "These are for Munni. I have been meaning to buy her some art supplies. Poor kid... keeps drawing with some broken pencils or pens! There was a stationary shop next to the florist."

Naina nodded in understanding, but then complained "What were you thinking coming there with flowers?!" Clearly not seeing any problem with his actions, Sameer stared at her blankly. She continued wringing her hand "I was going to say you are a family friend, but Guptaji met you... and now Leena knows everything!" Sameer asked uncertainly "Knows what exactly??"

For the next ten minutes, Naina attempted to explain to him how the grapevine in her office worked and how Leena played a role of paramount importance in it! Slowly, he understood that she was worried that the reason behind the flowers would be analysed to a great degree and gossiped about.

As they settled in a cafe for a coffee, Sameer grimaced "I just wanted to cheer you up with some flowers! You sounded so irritated last night." Then deciding to draw her attention away from the likely gossip at work, he probed "So, what happened with Auntie last night?"

For a moment she seemed to deliberate on whether to share the details, but then spoke "Maa and I have been arguing about a wedding. She thinks I should accompany her, and I don't want to go." He took a sip and enquired "Who is getting married?" She replied flatly "My cousin Preeti." He asked, "Is she a distant relative?"

Naina pondered on the question for a bit before responding "Its complicated... we are first cousins; our fathers were brothers. But the families are not close. I haven't met her or any of them for more than a decade now." She added grumpily "She was supposed to get married few months back, but then the wedding was postponed as the groom's father was diagnosed with some illness requiring immediate surgery. Another date has been set for next week now."

When he asked, "Why is Auntie insisting that you join?" she huffed "She thinks it's expected. And if it is expected, it must be done! Maa keeps complaining everyone will ask her why I am not with her."

His eyes narrowed "You are not averse to attending weddings... just few weeks back you participated in that neighbour's wedding with so much excitement. So, why don't you go along to this one just to keep Auntie happy?" Chuckling lightly, he added "Isn't attending any wedding that one is invited to one of the core Indian values?! That's why we have thousands of guests at most weddings, right? Just how many people at Rohan's wedding do you think really care about his and Sanjana's wedded life?!"

Though Naina offered him a small smile in return, she still looked troubled. Sameer reached out to gently caress her fingers "What's the real problem? Why don't you want to go?"

She let out a sigh "I can't forgive them Sameer. The way they have treated Maa... Not once have they ever checked in on Maa to see if she needed any help." The frustration in her voice grew "If they believe that she was related to them only through my father and those ties were cut when he died, then doesn't it apply the other way too? Why does Maa feel obliged to keep up the appearances just for the sake of it?! I don't want to sit through a day of people looking in our direction, whispering and weighing our lives."

Though she talks only of them abandoning her mother... but the hurt runs deeper because they cut ties with her too. He contemplated on her words before he spoke "Naina, my circumstances are different. I am not trying to compare anything here... but I would like to share something."

Satisfied with the curiosity in her eyes, he continued "I was in my early teens... maybe my pre-teens... when Rohan's grandmother repeatedly tried to impress upon me how the Somani family isn't truly my family. It hurt a lot. I was already going through the insecurities that come with that age, and her attitude made it worse. I started distancing myself from the rest of the family... I even withdrew from Rohan for a while. For a couple of years, I was miserable, questioning my identity and my place in the family. All I wanted at that point was to grow up and leave home."

Naina listened in astonishment. I would have never guessed! He seems to have such a close-knit family...

"Thankfully, someone helped me back then." he confided with a slight smile "I used to spend a lot of time at Kabir's place and his mother realised something was bothering me. She pried the truth out of me one day and then talked some sense into me. She pointed out how I was getting swayed by Dadi's words which held no relevance. Because, truly speaking, Dad has never mistreated me and most of their extended family has always treated me the same as Rohan and Deepika. Kabir's mom made me realise that there will always be few people who will bear some prejudice against me, but that is their problem, and I can't control their mindset. But what I can control is how my behaviour impacts myself and my mother. By withdrawing from the family, I was putting my mom in a hard place. Almost forcing her to choose sides. And that wasn't fair to her."

"But I am not making Maa choose any sides... this is completely different!" She protested. He nodded "I know... and I am not saying you are. But don't you think she will feel stronger, if you are by her side, if she doesn't have to face all those questioning eyes alone?"

Her mother's words echoed in her heart. Maa always says that the prospective in-laws will judge me based on our relations with those so-called relatives... is that important to him too? Is he questioning my ability to create and balance relationships with his family?

Some trepidation trembled in her voice "Sameer, would you think any less of me if I cannot find it in my heart to forgive them? Or if I cannot present the picture of a big family happy?? It's not that family is not important to me..."

"Hey... I would never think that!" he rushed on trying to assure her "this is so not about them... or what you feel about them. I was only thinking of your mom and why she might be insisting on you accompanying her. But I understand that you must do what feels right to you."

And yet an uneasiness gripped her heart and she wondered what his parents, who came from such a large family, would think of her absent relatives.

* * *

Five days later Naina reluctantly attended the Preeti's wedding in Rajkot. Rama had given in to daughter's demand that they would attend just the wedding and not the four days of celebrations.

Naina waded through the day with a forced smile on her lips and bent forward to seek the blessings of dozens of elderly women whenever Rama nudged her.

The relatives that Rama introduced her to barely registered with her. But Naina did not miss the pride in her mother's eyes as she shared Naina's academic and professional achievements. As expected, Beena was very standoffish in her behaviour and asked made some snide remarks about the evils of granting young women too much freedom. Bela smiled warmly at Naina and remarked a few times on what a beautiful young woman she had become. A misty-eyed Anand patted her head a couple of times, but Naina did not feel any particular warmth towards him.

The only person her eyes were repeatedly drawn towards was the bride. Even in the garb of a demure bride, Preeti's bubbly personality, twinkling eyes and infectious smile held a magnetism beyond reasoning. Something pulled at her heart strings as Naina wondered what it would have been to grow up with her a sister. Would they have got into lots of mischief together? Or would they have quarrelled over silly petty stuff? They were about the same age, so would they have ended up in the same class in school?

She heard some of the relatives gossiping that it was a love-marriage and that the groom had been her classmate from the school days. Apparently, the young man's family was originally from Ahmedabad and had moved to Rajkot about ten years ago. He had ended up in Preeti's school and love had blossomed. That explains the smile and the glow on her face! Naina turned her attention to the groom. A handsome jovial young man with curly locks who was bestowing his bride with lots of adoring glances. They do make a lovely couple!

On the bus back, Rama remarked probably for the fiftieth time "I am so glad you came along! They were all very pleased to see you all grown up." Naina just nodded along, as Rama went on to convey what each of the relatives had said or asked about Naina.

"Preeti looked very beautiful... Anand and Bela must be so happy to have her married into a good family! The boy's father owns a electronic goods shop. They have a three-bedroom flat." Rama continued her monologue "I hope I get to see you happily settled in your own home soon now!"

Seeing Naina glare at her, Rama quickly reverted back to remarking Preeti's nuptials "The boy is fairer than Preeti... but they make a beautiful couple." When Naina hummed in agreement, Rama exclaimed with a slight frown "But what sort of name is Pandit? I couldn't figure out if it's his name or his surname... and to start with I thought maybe he is a Pandit!" Naina laughed heartily at her mother's remarks, at last glad to have attended the wedding.

* * *

When they met that weekend, Sameer was pleased to hear a cordial account of the trip to Rajkot.

After grabbing some lunch in a cosier restaurant that day, when he suggested going back to his place Naina explained that she was apprehensive of running into more of his relatives and would prefer to keep meeting him outside. Though flabbergasted by her admission, he complied with her wishes. Not able to think of any places to visit, he ended up insisting on giving her a ride back to Khed.

The backseat of the car offered them some privacy but not as much as hoped for by Sameer. The driver who usually found himself at a loss of words with his boss, ended up happily chatting with Naina for a large part of the journey!

As they approached her locality, Naina asked him to drop her off a little before her society entrance. She explained that she didn't want her family or neighbours noticing her arrival with him.

* * *

Couple of days later Naina was surprised to see arriving in the driver's seat for their evening rendezvous.

When she uttered "What happened to the driver?! We could have met tomorrow if he is on leave today." he smiled cheekily "I have been practising driving around these last few days! And now I am comfortable with the traffic here. So, from now on, I will be your personal chauffeur!"

Over the next week or so they settled into a new routine. Every couple of days, they would meet-eat-chat, and then Sameer would drive her back to Khed. The time in the car become their most looked forward to part. A slice of time all to themselves!

As soon as she entered the car, Naina would turn off the cassette play which would usually be playing some English hard rock and fiddle with the radio trying to find some music to suit both their tastes. This turned out to be a very big challenge as most local radio stations only played Hindi music! Finally, Sameer bought a few cassettes of English soft rock or pop which could be enjoyed by both.

Though fairly appeased by the new arrangement, Sameer was still a little perturbed by the restrictions enforced by Naina. Following the number of questions that she had to tackle from her colleagues after his visit to her office, she had strictly mandated that he was not allowed to park in front of her office during pick-up and had to drop her off few yards away from her building.

Sometimes, frustratedly he moaned to himself – Why the hell does she insist on being so overly cautious?! First, the interactions must be so limited, and then there is no bloody privacy! It's been close to two months now and we haven't even kissed yet!

Dating in India was so not the dating he was familiar with!

Naina, on the other hand, was living in the land of her dreams. Every time she walked towards the car where he was waiting to pick her up, she would feel like her heart would burst from the joy of the sight. Most days he would be in the driver's seat, but at times she would spot him leaning against the car. Sameer would be point at his watch and raise his eyebrows questioning her late arrival. In those moment, Naina felt like she was Suman from 'Maine Pyar Kiya' and he was her Prem complaining – Baja kya hai dekho zara tum ghadi, Guzar jaaye na prem ki ye ghadi... But when she approached him humming - Aati hoon thoda sa dheeraj dharo, Laga doongi main prem ki phir jhadi... Sameer just scowled at her in reply!

Once when she was held back in the office for much longer than expected, feeling exasperated he repeated beeped the horn in spurts of two – beep-beep, beep-beep, beep-beep. Though slightly annoyed to begin with at his seemingly juvenile behaviour, Naina found herself blushing at the thought of his eager anticipation of seeing her.

Every time his eyes lit up on seeing her, her angsts of years would fade away one more bit at a time.

Though in a constant motion, battling the mundane challenges of their respective lives, Naina felt like she was floating in a happy, rainbow-tinted, secret bubble with Sameer. Just the two of them, hidden from the world, in their pursuit of discovering as much as they could of each other.

But bubbles are destined to be burst. Or so it felt like to Naina one evening!

The usual few spots where Sameer usually parked while dropping her off were occupied, and hence he had to park the car just outside the society gate. Naina bid him a hasty goodbye and exited the car. But alas it was too late!

She froze in the motion of closing the car door as she heard her mother call out "Naina! Is that you?" Rama was briskly walking towards the car with a cotton shopping bag with the ends of some Mooli peeking out.

Thirty seconds later Rama stood next to Naina staring at the car in surprise. Craning her neck, as she tried to figure out who her daughter had arrived with, Rama inquired "Is that one of your office drivers?" Completely unprepared to handle the situation, Naina stood silently rooted in place while her mind sprinted in different directions all at once.

Rama nudged her again "Who is it?" Before Naina could open her lips, Sameer stepped out of the car and greeted the older lady "Namaste Auntie." The well-dressed young man seemed familiar, but Rama couldn't place where exactly she had met him before. Seeing her struggling to recognise him, Sameer moved closer to Rama and spoke "Auntie, I had visited you some time with my sister Deepika. It's Sameer..."

"Of course! Sorry beta I didn't recognise you... you looked familiar... but I didn't expect to see you... I mean I thought you had returned to London." Rama replied sounding a little confused. Sameer smiled "I had left for London. But am now back in Ahmedabad." When Rama asked "Is your sister back too? I think Naina had received a letter from last month..." he answered "No, Deepika isn't here. I have moved to Ahmedabad to work on a new project."

Giving him a quick smile, Rama turned to address her daughter "Where did you run into him?" Having gathered her wits by now, Naina fibbed "Deepika had given him my contact details... just in case he needed any help settling in. He had called me up at work and we met today after work. He insisted on dropping me back."

Satisfied with this explanation, Rama invited the young man upstairs. Considering Naina had not invited him home on any of the previous occasions when he had dropped her home, he hesitated "May be another time..." But following the norms of Indian hospitality Rama insisted "How can you leave without having a cup of tea with us?! Come along... Naina's Nani will be very pleased to meet you too. And how is your brother-in-law doing? Such a friendly young man..." Sameer followed the two ladies upstairs.

Nani was indeed very pleased to receive the guest from London once again. She enquired about his family and how he was settling in Ahmedabad, with either Naina or Rama acting as her translators. As Sameer sipped on the coffee and the munched on the gathiya offered, he was wondering why Naina had been so apprehensive about her family seeing them together. They seemed perfectly happy to meet him!

At some point Malati instructed her daughter "Invite him over for lunch on Sunday. The poor boy must be fed-up of eating food cooked by the servants!" Only too keen to create a favourable impression on the older ladies, Sameer happily accepted the invitation.

Half an hour later, when he took their leave promising to see them soon, Naina was a bundle of nerves unable to predict what would be the outcome of his upcoming interactions with her family. What if Maa and Nani don't like him? Or what if he doesn't feel comfortable around them? What if they all end of hating each other???

* * *

(Hi Dearies, 

Another long part! Hope you enjoyed it. Do let me know what you thought of it. 

Please note I will keep sharing fortnightly updates of Sundays going forward. 

Take care and stay safe. 

Lots of love, May)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 945 12
Hello everyone. I'm back again with a short story of Samaina. This is a story about Sameer & Naina who meets at a cafe unexpectedly. When they haven'...
2.1K 261 5
Hello friends... I'm back with Samaina short story... What happens when Sameer doesn't return to Ahmedabad after Daadi tells him that he is cursed (m...
8.4K 976 10
Sameer Maheshwari - A well known cricketer, he is always aggressive on the ground. His eyes had different kinds of pain while hitting any ball, which...
57.8K 9.1K 74
One believes in true love, the type when your heart misses a beat at a mere glance... he is waiting for someone with whom he falls in love at first s...