✔️ | 💙 𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐀 (#3, Second...

By byMegFischer

Undeniably charming Brian Peña fell hard for cunning Lauren Garrett his senior year of college, but Lauren ha... More

dedication
Third book.
1. Don't call me when you're lonely. - Brian
2. When Abby met Brian. - Abby
3. What's your room number? - Brian
4. You can do this. - Brian
5. Wait up for me. - Brian
6. Can I hop on? - Lauren
7. Don't be rude. - Brian
8. A romantic fool. - Brian
9. Because she's mine. - Brian
10. He's a kid. - Lauren
11. Move! - Brian
12. Did your underwear just melt? - Brian
13. You lied to me. Again. - Brian
14. That smile is my favorite. - Brian
15. Pretty baby. - Brian
16. We're a family. - Brian
17. A lot, actually. - Brian
18. Stay with me tonight. - Brian
19. Came here to see you two. - Brian
20. Be my best man? - Brian
21. I would've done anything. - Abby
22. Is that all you did? - Abby
23. Double beds. - Abby
25. Are you dropping me? - Abby
26. That can be arranged. - Brian
27. Okay. I trust you. - Brian
28. Breathe, okay? - Brian
29. Don't throw everything away. - Abby
30. You're a keeper. - Abby
31. You make me wild. - Abby
32. We make a pretty good team. - Brian
33. A little extra holly jolly. - Brian
34. You are the cutest. - Brian
35. Aren't you glad you have me? - Brian
36. How about I take a turn? - Brian
37. It's Saturday. - Brian
38. You make me insane. - Abby
39. She's a real pitbull. - Brian
40. Toast the bread. - Abby
41. Looking good, Peña! - Brian
42. How's your better half? - Abby
43. I'm on your side. - Brian
44. Um, guys? - Abby
45. The best - Brian
𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 (Second Chance Series)

24. Oh, nothing. - Brian

658 64 38
By byMegFischer

I shrug. "Do you want me to sleep on the little couch over there?"

Abby glances over, then waves her hand. "Don't be silly. I'm going to shower," she says, looping a hair tie around a high bun.

"Wait—are you hungry?"

"Yes, but I'm too exhausted to go out. I figured that I'd grab something nearby."

"I can run out while you shower. Do you care if it's just something like a burrito?"

"No, that sounds great."

I snag my key card off the bed. "I know what you like. I'll be back."

***

"Um, no! That's not right at all," I say. Sabrina giggles as I aim a finger at her, and she covers her mouth. "You know what? Dame Abuelita, por favor."

The phone fumbles for a second before my grandmother's face fills the screen. "Hi, mi querida."

"Hey! How are you?"

She smiles, resting her hand on her face. "I'm good, guapo. How's the trip?"

"It's good, it's good. Did you hear what Sabrina said to me? These girls think they're grown."

Light brightens the opposite wall as Abby exits the bathroom again. She thanked me twenty minutes ago when I brought back burritos, then disappeared behind the door, followed by the whir of a hairdryer.

"The amount of grief you give the ladies in your life, mi alma, you might deserve some of the teasing."

"Ay, por favor, Abuela. I thought you were on my side. The twins have Pops, and the girls and SiSi have Mom, but I thought I was your ride or die."

Snorting, Abby clamps a hand over her mouth. I clear my throat, furtively glance over to her with a smile, then back to the phone. "Did you get the Wordle today?"

"Yes!" My grandma taps three fingers on her chin, squinting at the ceiling. "I believe I did it in four today. How about you?"

"Not yet, but I'll text you when I do it later."

"Mijo." My mom's voice carries across the kitchen to where my grandma is at the table. I crane my neck, waiting.

"He's listening, Helen."

"¿Ya hablaste con Sierra?"

My throat goes dry. "What? No...I...it was a busy day and then I came up here and immediately called you guys so I didn't miss Monday night dinner. What's going on?"

"She's in labor," Abuela says with a smile. She glances up, then back to me. "Natalia was able to speak with her a few hours ago."

"So, everything's okay?"

Natalia enters the view, stooping to see me better. "Hey, B. Everything should be okay. She's just, you know, bringing a human into the world."

"Fuuu...dge. I said fudge, Abuela."

"Text Nick," Nat suggests. "She's been there at least six hours. He'll text back,  but he's laser-focused on her, so he's not sending on his own."

"Thanks, Nat. I'm going to go, then. See you guys next week. Te queiro."

As the eight of them at Monday night dinner chorus goodbyes and that they love me, Abby chuckles from where's she sunk to the bed, rubbing moisturizer on her cute face. My stomach flips as we share a brief smile, then I reach for my phone to text Nick.

"So, you see your family every week?"

"Pretty much."

I stretch out on my side and prop my head up, zoning out as I stare at the wall. My mind is racing with the worst thoughts. I hate not being in the same town as my best pal as this monumental event happens in her life.

"Thanks again for getting me dinner. Um...listen, about how I acted earlier." She angles to face me and I lean in.

I clear my throat. "Yeah?"

Abby twists her mouth and studies the ceiling. "I suck at apologizing, but I'm sorry I was an idiot."

The smile on my face continues growing. "It's not too late, you know."

"For?"

"You to make it up to me."

She reddens. "What does that mean?"

"Oh my gosh, you perv. I meant more like you can be sweeter to me if you'd like."

"Oh." Abby flushes again, covering her eyes with one hand.

The bed gives as I shift forward. "Unless you wanted to talk about that."

"About?"

She laughs while I peel her fingers from her face. "How you can no longer resist me."

"Watch me," Abby says, standing. She walks toward her suitcase resting on top of the dresser.

I poke my molar with my tongue. "Trust me. I am."

Her eyes meet mine in the mirror on the wall as she rifles through her belongings. A song trills from her cell phone, and she snags it off the bed, scrambling to press buttons.

"Hi!" She crows, beaming. "How's my baby boy?"

She sinks into a chair by the window, and I walk to my luggage, digging through my clothing until I find a soft T-shirt. Sighing, I undo the buttons and roll my neck, then discard it on the floor.

I groan and stretch my limbs; my arms to the ceiling, and rise on my tiptoes. The tension relieves as I flex my back and legs, and I sigh in pleasure, reaching for my fresh shirt.

"Uh, um, uh, yeah..."

Eyebrows furrowed, I face a stuttering Abby. She's squeezed her eyes shut while video chatting with Frankie.

I toss my shirt over my bare shoulder and nab my sweatpants before wandering toward the bathroom. By the time I emerge, I've got a text update from Nick about Sierra's progression. Frankie's cute giggle trickling from the phone makes me smile as I settle into the bed, tucking a hand behind my head while flipping through channels.

While Abby chats with Frankie, I study her in mom mode. It's hard to look away from her shining brown eyes and glowing smile. Her flushed cheeks. She meets my eyes and I grin, raking my gaze over her. "Beautiful," I whisper.

Abby covers the mouthpiece as I rest my chin on my hand. "What's that?" she asks.

"Oh, nothing."

***

Abby lightly kicks my leg. "I can't believe you've never seen this before."

"Truth. I'm a Nicholas Sparks virgin."

"How?!"

I straighten to rest my back against the wooden headboard and fold my arms over my chest while thinking. "Welllll. I think I broke up with my high school girlfriend Jana when it came out."

"So, you didn't go by yourself and cry in the dark?"

"Nope, nope. I wasn't sad about splitting with her. And so...I probably would've had to watch it with SiSi and her boyfriend—my best friend, Jax. And they were about as cutesy as she is with Nick, so I dodged a bullet there, too. Anyway, I'm happy to watch it if you love it."

"Of course I do. Oh, wait—how's Sierra?"

"Nothing new to report as of when Nick texted last. The hospital sent them home, and he said she's pacing around his parents' house and trying not to snap at everybody."

"I can't imagine her being like that."

"Oh? Well, let's just say good for you, then."

Abby laughs, nudging me with her elbow, and we fall silent while our attention is on the movie.

"Most men would've given up," she says, pointing at the screen. She shifts to rest her head on the corner of my shoulder. "Heck, I would've given up. But not him."

My heart rate picks up speed. "And what about her?"

Abby sighs. "She was foolish. Didn't think things through and almost lost her chance."

"So, he waited," I say. "And she came around."

Her eyes glitter with emotion as she faces me. "Poor guy," she whispers. "Holding out for a woman who doesn't deserve it."

"And yet..." I gently curl hair behind her ear, and a faint smile curls her lips upward.

"I'm scared."

"Of what?"

"Falling in love again."

I rest my forehead on hers. "So am I, to be honest, but that doesn't change how I feel about you. You give me something to look forward to. A reason to keep pushing through the hard stuff."

"Brian, that's..." She slightly shakes her head.

"What?"

"Insane. You're perfect, Peña, and I'm a hot mess."

"Sure, sure. I hear that all of the time." I snort. "Not so much. The other part's true though—you're hot."

Abby's eyes light up as she chuckles, raising her shoulder to her chin.

"Besides, I can deal with messy," I say, wrapping my hand around her jaw. Wetting my lips, I hold her gaze. "You keep pushing me away, but I know you're doing it because you think it's the right thing."

"What if Frankie and I need you, and you change your mind?"

"Abigail, feel my pulse." I guide her palm to my thrumming heartbeat. "Does that line up with a man who changes his mind when his girl sits next to him?"

When Abby runs her thumb over my lips, my breath hitches. I slide my eyes shut and wait; not daring to move now that she's touching me.

She touches her thumb to the corner of my mouth before continuing. "You give me butterflies when you smile at me at work. I didn't think that could happen again."

"It ruins my day when you don't smile back."

"Sorry."

"I like you. So much."

"I like you, too. Too much."

A grin spreads over my face as I lean to brush my lips to her temple. "Then how about tomorrow night, we have dinner? Let's go out on a date."

"I should be so lucky," she says, snuggling into my arms to lay her head on my chest. "It's a date, handsome."

Abby's low, feminine hum sends heat through me, and I join her with my own satisfied sound. I tighten my hold on her, then slide lower to lay my head on the pillow.

She yawns and scoots closer. "Too bad about only one bed, huh?"

My body feels weightless and heavy all at once. I close my eyes and allow myself to slip toward oblivion; the stress on my heart and body ten times lighter. "It's like a nightmare."

💛💛

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 456 33
Charlotte has just finished her third year in college with her best friend Lacey, both excited to go back to there hometown for the summer as well as...
10.8M 449K 42
After a car accident leaves Kaden Bretton temporarily blind, Isla Moore struggles to break up with him while disguised as his girlfriend, who died in...
52.9K 1.1K 56
After getting her life turned upside down, Hailey Lewis moves to Blossom Beach to live with her uncle and cousin. While trying to work through her pa...
984K 24.2K 55
❝ I should've listened to my heart. No matter how hard I've tried to push you away, everything leads back to you. My thoughts, the way my heart flutt...